Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today a burning smell while driving but cant find the source. I immediately checked gauges and all seem normal. I then pulled under some shade and popped the hood to check oil and water levels and everything checks OK. It is a burnt rubber or plastic smell emitting from engine. Has anyone else experianced this?

Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I first noticed this driving about 20 mph in traffic going over Donner Summit (on way back to California). Conditions were snow and ice so I thought it was odd to see an engine overheat in these conditions. I chalked it up me smelling fumes from another car since we were so tightly packed together for about 6 miles.

Once I got onto I-5, I opened up throttle to nearly 90 mph. That was two days ago. The strange odor appeared again today while driving to the car wash. What gives. Is this something I should take to the dealer for inspection?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
You may think this is gonna sound stupid but twice now in two different vehicles, once a couple years ago and again about a month ago I had the same issue and it was the soles on the shoes I was wearing and running the heater at the same time. Apparently when the heater duct blew on the rubber soles of my semi new shoes it caused a burning wire or hot rubber smell.

Wearing new shoes by chance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LMAO! You know what, I was wearing new shoes! I even remember saying that my feet were hot and had to turn the heater down. Unfortunately I get a stringer detection of the smell when I approach the front grill of the car so this leads me to believe it is coming from the engine. Its going to dealership today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it into the shop and they said a plastic bag has melted onto my exhaust system. $100 for them to scrape about 90% of it off!

Bruno, how did you resolve your issue?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,455 Posts
Oops! LOL That's why when I go over a plastic bag I check the mirror to see if it kept going, haha.

Oh well, not as bad as when they get stuck on the grille.

I remember one time running over a tumbleweed I didn't see it go by, so I had to stop on the side of the road to make sure it wasn't stuck under the car, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is their an issue with vacuum suction under the car that traps these types of bags? I cant remember such a consistant issue with the same car that is as freakish as this.

a happy ending to my story is that the original dealership from where I bought my car called my local dealership and told them they should do the repair for free as a courtesy. The local dealer obliged and did the work for free. (The service office did mention that they wanted to charge me since I didnt buy the car from them, but they hoped their good gesture will keep us coming back for regular maintenance issues)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,829 Posts
I'm very glad to hear you found out the cause and a dealership willing to take care of your issue w/o charging you.

Hopefully, you will now continue to have your service appointments at this particular dealership. Those are the kind of stories we don't hear to frequently on the forums.

bruno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Melting Plastic Smell

I noticed today a burning smell while driving but cant find the source. I immediately checked gauges and all seem normal. I then pulled under some shade and popped the hood to check oil and water levels and everything checks OK. It is a burnt rubber or plastic smell emitting from engine. Has anyone else experianced this?

Thanks for the help.
The smell is probably from a plastic bag stuck on the exhaust system somewhere. I had the same smell and had the dealer look at it today while my car was on the lift for other work. It was a plastic bag stuck and melting on an exhaust pipe. I have had this happen before on my 2006 300C too. Regards, Bob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
The smell is probably from a plastic bag stuck on the exhaust system somewhere. I had the same smell and had the dealer look at it today while my car was on the lift for other work. It was a plastic bag stuck and melting on an exhaust pipe. I have had this happen before on my 2006 300C too. Regards, Bob.
Check out the date on the original post....And actually read through the thread. It was a plastic bag, which the dealer scraped off for him.

Old thread is old. :smashfrea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Check your foglight housings make sure the bulb did not come loose slighlty and is heating up the plastic..That happened to me and now i need new fogs, ..DID you have the fogs on at that time you smelt the "burnt" smell??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
I smell burning every day...rubber.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top