Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From here: https://autoweek.com/article/wait-t...vernment-getting-rid-hundreds-almost-new-cars

The Canadian government is looking to get rid of hundreds of used cars that were purchased for the G7 summit earlier this year. And by "used," we mean used for a couple of weeks. Yes, apparently it was cheaper to buy them for the event to transport guests around than to rent or lease them, according to the RCMP, and who are we to argue with Canadian economics?
Under $20K w/1000 miles. ::smile::

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
They are ALL 300 Touring L's. Just checked the government site.

They are listed for over 25K CDN each(plus Quebec taxes for a combined 14.9 %). There are 2 lots of five, and the rest are single units. 26 to 28 grand probably gets you one off a dealer lot (with no holes in the bumpers) since the equivalent used 300S MY 2018 sells for over 35000.

If these were S designated cars, then it would be worth it, as one would save about 10K . Here you save maybe 4K if no one outbids you.

EDIT:

I guess the title suggests 300s as in multiple 300 vehicles- not that they are 300S models.
Still not a bargain really.

Reactions: TheKrell

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I guess the title suggests 300s as in multiple 300 vehicles- not that they are 300S models.
Still not a bargain really.
Yup. There's a lower case "s" after all these car entries, even for cars whose model number never ends in "S". ;) Did you notice they're all 8-speed AWD cars? Edited to add: probably you did, because the Touring L comes with both.

I see here: https://www.kbb.com/chrysler/300/2018/300-touring-l/?r=376141590536590140 that fair market value is nearly $31K new. So I think you are right that you could probably get a new one for $26K. The auction ends tomorrow, so perhaps they'll have some left and lower the price further for the next auction.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wait a minute, the article stated "...it was cheaper to buy them for the event to transport guests around than to rent or lease them," ?????? WTF?! How is this country not bankruptcy with that kind of government thinking and spending? They had to buy them at $30K USD apiece (or whatever they paid) as opposed to paying, I dunno, $1,000 for a couple of weeks?! Unclear on the concept (but happy to get an education as to why this was the better plan).

As for buying them, of course there's not many available, so bidding will increase prices that while still good deals, won't be great deals. But if you live in Canada, or don't have to incur restrictive costs to purchase and bring to the USA (if US citizens can even participate) and are in the market for one, this is obviously a stellar opportunity.

Thanks for the very interesting post.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait a minute, the article stated "...it was cheaper to buy them for the event to transport guests around than to rent or lease them," ?????? WTF?! How is this country not bankruptcy with that kind of government thinking and spending? They had to buy them at $30K USD apiece (or whatever they paid) as opposed to paying, I dunno, $1,000 for a couple of weeks?! Unclear on the concept (but happy to get an education as to why this was the better plan).
I don't know, but I would imagine renting that many 300's might be difficult. Plus there's the issue of drilling holes in the bumpers to mount the warning lights...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't know, but I would imagine renting that many 300's might be difficult. Plus there's the issue of drilling holes in the bumpers to mount the warning lights...
"I see" said the blind man. Good point. Thanks. Too bad they had to remove them; could've been a good way to get through rush hour traffic... ;-)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't believe it is such a great deal. Here in Canada you can get an immaculate used 18 for about the same price from a dealer. Saw one a few days ago albeit did not have 655 kms on it. It had 10300 km but no holes in the bumper, scratches, or damaged windshield. Considering the admitted faults, I bet these things were not taken care of at all. The gods only know what else is wrong with it. Plus one does not have to drive half way across the country to Quebec to pick it up. Thanks but no thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts