Votes: 19 28.8%
  • No, I like the Light Grey I got

Votes: 47 71.2%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about it, 300C owners...Now that you've lived with it for a while, are you sorry you got the Light Grey interior in your car? Do you wish you had gotten the Dark Slate instead? Speak now to help future owners make the right choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Though the light gray needs more upkeep and mat cleaning, the lighter color scheme makes the interior feel more spacious. I also think the lighter leather and the greater contrast between the upper and lower dash strengthens the design concept of the cabin.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My only wish is for deeper pile carpet, since all the dirt really shows on the light grey, especially by the dead pedal. But I love the color combo. It looks more upscale to me than the darker interior. IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Agree guys, more upscale but fragile. I thought about that clear plastic carpet protector stuff used for model homes to stick on the dead pedal but instructions say not to leave it on more than 30 days. I thilk Ill try it anyway there is enough on a roll to last a life time, nothing to lose since the dead pedal will be ruined with filth anyway.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am using carpet cleaner and protectorant about every third day. Damn this obsessive compulsive behavior! If Aspendog reads this, how about a matching molded plastic dead pedal cover that attaches over the existing dead-pedal area. The dirt and wear resistance would be much better. I know A-dog doesn't specialize in molded plastic products, but maybe he has a line on someone who could do these?

·
Registered
27 Posts
So it is the carpet that's the biggest issue and not the seats? I would think the lighter leather would be difficult to maintain, also. I have light greystone equipped C on order, so I appreciate all these comments.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The seats are more fragile re: marks from who knows where, they do clean up well, I use Lexol with good results, unimpressed with Connoly Hyde food. The auto glide back seat is a major help, literally no contact with the side bolster when getting in and out which also helps with wear. Many seats in cars a few years old have the driver's bolster worn out from your rear end banging against it over the years. On my other cars I use a twist in and out maneuver to stay off the bolster, and no the song "baby got back" does not apply.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I couldn't believe the owners manual specifically states not to use any cleaner or protectorant on the leather. Over time, this could lead to dry cracked dirty seats.
I know it's not exotic, but I use a clean cotton cloth slightly damp with warm water and mist Maguiars gold class leather cleaner and protectorant. Unlike II Kings, I have a fat ass and my seats look like new.

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is the 3d car I have owned with the light gray interior and leather. Yes, it can and will get dirty, but I learned the hard way to use only mild soap and minimal water on a damp cloth followed by a couple of dry ones to keep both that carpet and leather clean and supple.

Of course, if one gets grease on the carpet, only a solvent, sparingly used, will get that off. Hopefully none will ever get on the leather. If you do use solvent of any kind, be very, very careful. Don't rub the finish, just daub the mess off, and follow it with the water/soap treatment to stop any solvent action.

Why do I keep buying these light colors? Simply because I like a light-colored interior on a car; it makes it lighter, cooler, and easier to live with, in my mind. Particularly with this car's relatively small windows, it helps remove the "tunnel" feeling.

The horrible example which taught me my lesson about these light interiors was actually removing the finish off the Benz seats which I had at the time. Almost did the same thing on my '94 LHS until I realized what these commercial "cleaners" were doing. Hopefully, some of these newer dyes might last longer so long as they aren't gouged or solvented off.

In my experience, these dyes for leather are not very permanent, so you want to do very minimal rubbing with anything other than a lightly damp cloth. And yes, seating yourself with minimal rubbing of the seats will help. The gliding seats are a godsend in that case.

BTW, this leather can be rehabbed by redying, but, although it looks good for a bit, it never lasts very long. Any color other than natural WILL wear again particularly where redyed and wear off again.

As far as the carpeting is concerned, on those same cars, my trusty cheap transparent vinyl mats did well. I would like to see some kind of dead pedal protector cover of vinyl or so. And I'd buy and install that on this one since it is so very difficult to cover the dead pedal otherwise.

The more care you give to the problem, the less time you waste on cleaning it.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I know several low mile Jag owners with horrible looking leather and the re dye process is very short lived , the Germans seem to procure a much better quality leather. I agree, I much prefer the light interiors over the drab black I have in the X5, though the leather is superb, feels as thick as shoe leather but very supple with excellent grain. The early 70s Citroen SM used pigskin which is an entirely different animal and the Euro mid 80s BMW 745 turbo used an outstanding Buffalo hyde which is nearly indestructable, more than 20 years later the leather usually looks new in these cars. Regardless of color, gentle care will be needed to maintain the leather in the C as it seems rather thin and fragile.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Service persons get away with that just once with me. When that kind of dirt, anywhere, is noticed, I get ahold of the Service Manager and point it out, insisting that I will not accept that kind of treatment. Service next time is more reasonable.

Some places are just sloppy and best avooided.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, I like my light interior. It seem to light up the interior so softly. Even though I have school age children and it's a little more work at keeping it clean, I still choose the light over dark especially when it comes to seating..

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is my third car with "American"-quality gray leather and I suspect it will hold up well enough if you wipe up spills promptly. Just DO NOT wear blue jeans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like my light gray interior but after a day it was clear that the mats were not going to work for me. So I bought the premium 24oz dark slate from mopar and I really like the way they look. The winged chrysler emblem on has some colored stiching that looks really good. The mats match the upper dash.

·
Registered
61 Posts
coolvanilla said:
Hey Jerk - I was considering going with the dark mats as well. Wasn't sure how good it would look - any pics?

I have the "thick" dark logo mats in my greystone interior.

The dark color is very good at hiding the dirt. But the bottom line is that it looks like I put dark mats in to protect a light carpets -- a little cheesy. And it also closes up the cabin making the floor seem closer to you.

But I'm sticking with them.

Was thinking about getting a thick set of the greystone to have for special occasions, but I know I will never bother to break them out...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts