Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 300 SRT8 to the test and tune Friday night 5/16 and had a blast. Spoke with a gentleman in a 2008 yellow Corvette Z06 for a while- nice guy and a super nice car- I have always liked the Z06s and have driven a couple.
Heading home from the strip on I-85 South the yellow Z06 came on to the highway, along with his friend in a black Z06. The two of them ran tight at 75 for the next 5 miles or so with me about 20 car lengths ahead of them. I had my cruise locked at 75 as this stretch generally has a cop or two in waiting. Once we got to a little better stretch of road the two Z06s passed me running about 78-80. I must admit that it was a beautiful sight- seeing these two gleaming Z06s running nose to tail down the highway. They really are great looking cars in my book. The three of us ran down the highway like this for the next 10 miles or so. Then the black one decided that he wanted to play with my 300. We were side by side and he actually romped on it first. I left the autostick in drive and romped on it as well, at about 80. Believe it or not I not only caught up with him and ran side by side but I pulled about a door length ahead of him around 140 or 150 mph- I guess when he shifted. All the while the yellow Z06 was behind us. We ran a more respectable speed for a bit then the yellow one wanted to play. Him and I only ran up to about 115-120 before we had to slow with traffic but I hung right with him. All in all it was huge fun, and real cool watching these two Corvettes and hearing them. They really are impressive. Even more important is how impressed with, and proud of my 300 SRT8 I am. I am sure that both of those guys were surprised as hell that this big 4door hung with them like it did. Hell- even I was surprised!! What a car!! Needless to say I pulled in to my drive way with a huge smile on my face! That was fun.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wow.. what kind of mods are you running. Cause right now you are saying that you can hang with lambos, vipers and what not...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's what I thought as well- thought that they would both just up and leave me but they did not. The black one was an 06. I am running nothing more than a Mopar CAI, 180 thermostat, and Diablo Predator with a custom tune- otherwise box stock. At the track, with 12,000 miles on the F1 supercars running full inflation (32cold/36hot) and bypassing the wetbox I ran consistant low 13s @107-109 with a best of 13.2. This is with ESP off and serious *****footing off of the line to avoid wheelspin. Based on my trap speeds I feel pretty sure that I could get a 13.1 or 13 flat out of it with a little more practice launching without going up in smoke!
I believe that in a street race such as this, our cars have a chance against pretty much anything out there- all depending on what the roll on speed is (our cars are monsters from 20, 40, 60, and 80 mph roll ons), driver ability, element of surprise, etc. Not to mention that there are only a handfull of cars that will consistantly run mid to high 4s 0-60 along with low 13s in the quarter while still pulling hard @110 mph, and most of the ones that do you do not see on the road everyday.
Both Z06's were running mid to high 12s at the track, the yellow one with at least one mid 13 second run. While I agree that there may have been a little "toying" involved at first, it just goes to show how strong our cars truly are- able to stand tall with the best at any given moment. For that we should all be proud.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
from a roll c6 z06's really shine and are absolute monsters to 160 so it sounds like you're right about them toying with you. i'm sure it was fun none the less!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have both and there is no comparison.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. Kinda like a Muskrat GT with us, we may just leave it in fourth rather than downshifting to third- why waste the fuel? A C6Z driven properly and on drag slicks, 10's are easily obtainable. Driven properly and dead stock, high 11's are easily obtainable. Screw anything up and you are in the mid 12's- obviously. Also, we have to factor in the drivers weight (he was 280 at best) along with the requisite coolers and travel gear that were loaded into his car after the Year One weekend. Normally a Z06 will trounce us pretty well but you never know. Point being all along- it was a friggin blast! Enjoy
1968 Olds 442 400 long stroke Pine Forest Green
1970 Olds 442 W30 455 Rallye Red (ouch)
1984 Olds Hurst/Olds 307 Silver
1989 Pontiac Formula 350 L98 w/dual cats Black
1972 Buick Riviera GS455 Stage 1 (boattail) Antique Gold
1996 Chevy Impala SS LT1(13 yrs and 322,000 miles) Black
2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8 Inferno Red Crystal Pearl on Slate 6.1 Hemi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts