Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Attempting to Paint the SRT8 Metal Valve covers... PICS inside

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  JCC300C 
#1 ·
Well, I saw a LXforum members engine with painted Valve covers and I was in shock the difference in the look. So, I kindly asked him (MAGFX) how he got the covers off, and apparently it was not too bad (would have been easier if I was a midget).

Well I got one off after about an hour of labor. 90 Percent of the bolts were very easy, a couple were impossible to get too, and no way to get a socket on them. I am still not quite sure how I am going to get these covers back on yet?

Anyway, here are some pics, I have one off and in the pic I used scotchbrite to clean it good... I wonder if anyone can tell me do I sand it before painting?

Next i will use a etching primer, then maybe a primer on top, paint with high temp paint and clear.

I am hoping to have this done tomorrow, at this rate I better get up early.

Anyone has any input of suggestions I would appreciate it. Hope this is useful.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're going to sand it for adhesion, don't bother. Just wipe it down good with acetone. If you want to sand it to get rid of the texture, I would just use aircraft remover. Use the ppg dp48lf primer. That stuff sticks like glue. I even add about 5%-10% acetone to the dp48lf to make it a little thiner, spray more even, and adhere better.

#3 ·
Well they are all painted and cleared... I have not sanded or polished at all. What are your thoughts on that? Should I or no? Lots o clear on there.

#4 ·
looks like you did a good job

#5 ·
No way on the sanding. With that texture you'd never buff it out and you'd go right through the clear on the high spots (every grain). You might try some polishing compound and then some good wax if you want to get it glossy, but it should look fine for a valve cover without. Depends on how glossy you want it though.

#6 ·
Turned out ok with some polishing, they are just cover, and they will barely be seen...

I like the job done, I was thinking of paining the coil packs too, but that was a lot of work.

#7 ·
They are much darker in person... They match the blue billet tech pieces...

I am glad they went on with ease, and no troubles at all besides a few scraped knuckles. All and all I think I spent about 1.5 hours to get them off (would be way shorter the second time), maybe 6 hours to paint (most of that is drying time), hour to polish them up, and roughly 2 hours to get them all back together (I marked all the bolts because they are different lengths...). I did the whole project from a late friday night to a late Saturday night and spent $25.00 in paint and supplies.

#8 ·

#10 ·
What do you guys think about painting the Coil packs on there?

And what Can I do myself on the manifold? That thing is a mess, and I do not want to polish it again like I did once before (I sold it). I would love to paint it, but I want to smooth it out, and that would be a HUGE PAIN

#13 ·
It seems like you'd need to send the manifold out to be powder coated. I wouldn't paint the plastic coil packs. It looks good standing out in black.
send a PM to FreebirdSRT. he's done all of the above and can tell you pros/cons.

#14 ·
I was thnking of painting the packs the same blue... Or and the Manifold the same blue?

Lots of blue though... I am not so sure now.

I just know that the manifold looks like crap the way it is right now... Even painted silver would be cool to me

#17 ·
I had one... lol

#19 ·
Cost you about $600-800

I used a place called Southwest Polish in Mesa, AZ Might be Gilbert.

He did a great great job

#20 ·
Wowo I have never seen one get to that level of polish, that dude did a good job. I think u mentioned that you don't have this polished one anymore, why and how long was it in there/did it hold up for daily driving?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.