Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The only thing i'm not to keen about on my car is that when i want to accelerate using the mid range power of the diesel 1800-3000rpm, i squeeze the throttle gently and instead of it just pulling it changes down a gear or two and revs from 3000-4000 before changing up and using all the mid range torque.

It seems silly it changing down and screaming with very little pulling/torque when it could have just pulled like mad without changing down?

It does this with only a little throttle, i would only really expect it to kick down in to much lower gears when you plant the pedal to the floor not with very little throttle maybe 50%??

I was just wondering if everyones CRD is the same as mine or if mine needs some kind of adjustment to the kickdown.

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey mr lambournkoi,

mine is the same, I drive vast distances with the cruise control engaged and most of the time drive it on the cruise i.e. feet completely of pedals and use the stalk to beep the speed up and down, and sometimes it changes a gear down when i beep the cruise up which seems silly to me as the amount of throtlle available for beeping on the cruise is a lot less than if you use the pedal.

so i think yours is normal.

regards

elpirata

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I think you may find a difference if you pull fuse 11 for 15 seconds and then drive the car "like you stole it". This resets your ECU and that governs available power and torque - so the gear changes should alter as well. Give it a try anyway - it costs nothing.
Cheers John

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Mine does change down if accelerating on the cruise control but only if it's labouring and nothing like when driving without cruise control.

Cheers John,
I will give the ECU a reset and try it to see if it improves. I expect it's drive by wire as opposed to having a kick down cable to adjust.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
use the tranny manually

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is i don't want to change down, just accelerate in the gear its already in as it's at around 2000rpm and should have bags of torque to pull strongly with just a little throttle.

The transmission decides to change down a couple of gears at just a gentle squeeze of the throttle say 45-50% then the car revs like mad from 3000 to 4000rpm with not a lot of power because it's passed that range before selecting the next gear and pulling properly.

It's hard to explain in writing, lol

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I'm not sure about the CRD tranny as I've never driven one but the Hemi tranny works like this,if you're cruising say at 50 and you dont want to change down a gear,push the stick to the left and the evic displays what gear you're in and when you are in manual it shouldnt change down unless you floor it.I use this method quite a lot and I also use it the other way round.e.g.if I'm cruising at 30 and I push the stick to the left my evic displays I'm in 3rd gear so I push it to the right and it goes to 4th and my revs drop to 1100 just so I can squeeze a bit more mpg out of her,but if I push and hold the stick to the right so it goes back to D it will stay in 4th unless I hit an incline or slightly press the throttle.The only other way that I can think of is if you drive it like a granny for a couple of weeks so the tranny learns that style it should stop the sudden change down.There is a downside to that though,just when you need it to change down sometimes it wont,thats when I know to pull my fuse 11.I hope I explained this ok to you and it works for you

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks.

I will give it a go, as far as i'm aware at present is if i knock the stick left when in (D) 5th it changes down to 4th rather than hold 5th. Still 4th would be better than it jumping to 3rd for no reason.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I've just remembered that my predator has remapped my tranny so when I shift left it shows 5th,your's will show 4th,you're absoluteley right but it should stay in 4th until you shift it manually,

·
Registered
360 Posts
If I select 4th manually, my Hemi still drops to 3rd as I press the throttle instead of allowing the engine torque to do the work! I mentioned this to you in another post a short time ago Ray, but basically mine behaves exactly the same as lambournkoi's does, regardless of whether I've pulled fuse 11 recently or not.

I think I need a predator........ if it allows the following....?
1. sort out the bl***y autobox! (I love autos, but I wish this had a manual :pat: )
2. firm up the shifts a little - is the ammount of firmness selectable?
3. more midrange ignition advance - better economy from the higher octane of LPG.

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just tried mine manually and it still shifts down and revs its nuts off before changing back to the manually selected gear.

It's a bit silly if you can't just use the engines torque to speed you up gently without it changing down.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
the CRD tranny must work differently from the Hemi,(it was taken from the AMG 55 after all)makes me think though that it might be just your CRD because no CRD owners are commenting(cue the floodgates),sorry I cant be of any more help,good luck with your issue

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks chaps,

I just pulled the fuse to reset and then drove it and it appears to be a lot better, i can press the throttle down 75% before it goes in full thrash mode.

It'll be interesting to see if it stays like it or not.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
The chip gradually learns your method of driving and then sets itself to suit - so the likelihood is that to some extent it will gradually creep back to doing what it did before. But then you can always reset it. Some of the guys reckon on pulling it once a week whether it needs it or not. And let's not have dirty comments about my wording.
Cheers John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
awww go on John,just one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Guys !
Does pulling the fuse cure the flat stop when you first push the accelerator pedal? Like on roundabouts etc?
Mines only 700miles old but has this big flatspot :(

·
Premium Member
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Beav,

Is yours a CRD of Hemi engined model?

I can't say i have noticed a real flat spot as such.

I have only noticed a bit of turbo lag when pulling off but then you get that with turbo charged engines. Starts to pull strong over say 1800-2000rpm once the turbo has spun up to speed.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts