Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed since we purchased our new 300c that the automatic climate control seems to run a tad warm. I realize this is a 'relative thing' but when we set the temp controls to 69 degrees (both sides) the interior really seems to be much warmer (uncalibrated human sensor <me> says it feels like 75). Has anyone experienced the same and/or do you know if the sensors can be calibrated?
Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you do day time or night time driving. Night time seems to be a little warmer as the sun sensor doesnt fit into the picture.The same sun sensor that turns on the auto headlights is used to slightly cool the 69 temp setting if the car is in direct sun light .Make sure fan is in the AUTO LOW OR AUTO HI POSITION as this is the only modes this will work in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you do day time or night time driving. Night time seems to be a little warmer as the sun sensor doesnt fit into the picture.The same sun sensor that turns on the auto headlights is used to slightly cool the 69 temp setting if the car is in direct sun light .Make sure fan is in the AUTO LOW OR AUTO HI POSITION as this is the only modes this will work in.
Excellent questions. I'm mostly a day driver and I most notice the increased/uncomfortable temps then - especially when the sun is out. I do keep the fan control in one of the two AUTO positions.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Do you by any chance crack a window or vent the sunroof? Maybe not in March in CO. When I do, I've noticed mine sometimes seems to 'feel' a draft that I don't, and it cranks the heat up. But other times I feel a draft that it doesn't and I have to raise the temp a little to compensate. I haven't yet gotten down pat which window or sunroof vent does what to it. With everything closed, it feels pretty good to me. I run mine set on 70. You might want to try a household thermometer to check yours. At least one member here had to have his ACC module replaced. Said that fixed his issue with temps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've noticed since we purchased our new 300c that the automatic climate control seems to run a tad warm. I realize this is a 'relative thing' but when we set the temp controls to 69 degrees (both sides) the interior really seems to be much warmer (uncalibrated human sensor <me> says it feels like 75). Has anyone experienced the same and/or do you know if the sensors can be calibrated?
Thanks!
I brought this same issue up in a prev post.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/52566-climate-control.html
As you can see from my post my 08 does not work the same as my 05 did.
I am waiting for its first service to get it checked out.
Geoff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you by any chance crack a window or vent the sunroof? Maybe not in March in CO. When I do, I've noticed mine sometimes seems to 'feel' a draft that I don't, and it cranks the heat up. But other times I feel a draft that it doesn't and I have to raise the temp a little to compensate. I haven't yet gotten down pat which window or sunroof vent does what to it. With everything closed, it feels pretty good to me. I run mine set on 70. You might want to try a household thermometer to check yours. At least one member here had to have his ACC module replaced. Said that fixed his issue with temps.
Good idea, but no. No window cracking - at least not until it gets uncomfortably warm, that is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I brought this same issue up in a prev post.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/52566-climate-control.html
As you can see from my post my 08 does not work the same as my 05 did.
I am waiting for its first service to get it checked out.
Geoff
Hey Limey (ex-Royal Navy per chance?) -

I did a search prior to my post, but apparently didn't choose the correct search phrases. Your post looks exactly like what my issue is. Sounds like we may both have to take our cars in for service. I'll let you know what I find out. I intend to take it in within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey Limey (ex-Royal Navy per chance?) -

I did a search prior to my post, but apparently didn't choose the correct search phrases. Your post looks exactly like what my issue is. Sounds like we may both have to take our cars in for service. I'll let you know what I find out. I intend to take it in within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!
Thanks I look forward to hearing back from you after your visit to the garage.
And no not ex navy just a good old english boy living in Canada.
Cheers Geoff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I look forward to hearing back from you after your visit to the garage.
And no not ex navy just a good old english boy living in Canada.
Cheers Geoff
Dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday for them to take a look at the climate control issue. Their report, at the end of the day was, essentially, 'it's working as designed'. According to the techs, all the actuators are working fine and when the temp is set to 69F, the output air is 69 to 69.5F. They also mentioned that on 'most' days, in 'most' climate control situations, the majority of the airflow comes from the floor vents, as they claim this allows for more accurate control of the inside temperature.

So, anyway, not sure I'm buying this. It sounds plausible, but the darn car is STILL too hot when it's set to 69F. It seems to me there is not enough airflow to compensate for the solar heating effects coming into the car. I'll probably futz with it for a couple more weeks and then take it back again.

Can anyone else confirm/deny that your cabin temp remains cool during a warm, bright sunlit day? If so, are you using the auto fan/auto mode functions, or do you manually control your airflow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday for them to take a look at the climate control issue. Their report, at the end of the day was, essentially, 'it's working as designed'. According to the techs, all the actuators are working fine and when the temp is set to 69F, the output air is 69 to 69.5F. They also mentioned that on 'most' days, in 'most' climate control situations, the majority of the airflow comes from the floor vents, as they claim this allows for more accurate control of the inside temperature.

So, anyway, not sure I'm buying this. It sounds plausible, but the darn car is STILL too hot when it's set to 69F. It seems to me there is not enough airflow to compensate for the solar heating effects coming into the car. I'll probably futz with it for a couple more weeks and then take it back again.

Can anyone else confirm/deny that your cabin temp remains cool during a warm, bright sunlit day? If so, are you using the auto fan/auto mode functions, or do you manually control your airflow.

Thanks!
The system on my car runs a cooler 69 in sun light and if i make a return trip at night the air is definitaly warmer. . The SUN sensor in the dash ajusts for this. There is also a INFRARED sensor above the rear window defrost button which ajusts for front seat passenger body heat. These sensors only work when the FAN is in the AUTO mode or air flow direction is in the auto mode. If fan is in manual speed modes and air flow is in a non auto position (VENT, or FLOOR) 69 temp IS NOT regulated with these additional sensors.,69 will feel warm all the time if fans are not in AUTO

·
Registered
99 Posts

Thanks!
Thanks for the update, we will have to see what the folks at my garage say when mine goes in.
Regards Geoff

·
Banned
1,411 Posts

Thanks!
For the temperature controls to work, you have to have it set at auto so it will regulate the fans as well as the heat output.

Also, a lot of people tend to get aclimatised to a certain temperature and thus it "feeling" like it is a different pemperature than what it is.

·
Registered
99 Posts
For the temperature controls to work, you have to have it set at auto so it will regulate the fans as well as the heat output.

Also, a lot of people tend to get aclimatised to a certain temperature and thus it "feeling" like it is a different pemperature than what it is.
The only problem with your thoughts on this is as in my case having driven my previous 300 that I got in 2004 for four years , how come my 2008 climate control does not seem to regulate the same as the old one.
It's not like I am new to driving a 300 and I am not the only person to do the comparison between their old and new cars.
Geoff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks, but as stated in earlier posts, I do run everything in auto. I'll assume your response to my question means 'no' ;-)...

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Thanks, but as stated in earlier posts, I do run everything in auto. I'll assume your response to my question means 'no' ;-)...
Please don't answer for me. I can do that myslef.

You are experiencing what most humans experience when they get to a certain temperature. The body will tend to get used to it and consider it normal or it won't seem as cold as it "should" be.

There is nothing wrong with your system, it is working fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Please don't answer for me. I can do that myslef.

You are experiencing what most humans experience when they get to a certain temperature. The body will tend to get used to it and consider it normal or it won't seem as cold as it "should" be.

There is nothing wrong with your system, it is working fine.
Geez, get over 'yourslef', LOL... You still haven't answered the question I asked, so I'm not really sure you CAN answer for 'yourslef' ;-)...

The system is not working as it 'should' be, at least not in my experience with several makes/models of vehicles - unless, of course, you've personally been IN my specific vehicle and have some additional specific knowledge, you have no personal insight to make such a definitive claim.

When there is added thermal stress due to external radiant heat (i.e. from that big yellow thing in the sky), this vehicle does not appear to be responding as it should. In other words, it is not redirecting (increased) airflow through the dashboard vents. Airflow remains directed through the floor vents at a seemingly insufficient volume of air to properly regulate the cabin temperature.

All the best...

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Geez, get over 'yourslef', LOL... You still haven't answered the question I asked, so I'm not really sure you CAN answer for 'yourslef' ;-)...

The system is not working as it 'should' be, at least not in my experience with several makes/models of vehicles - unless, of course, you've personally been IN my specific vehicle and have some additional specific knowledge, you have no personal insight to make such a definitive claim.

When there is added thermal stress due to external radiant heat (i.e. from that big yellow thing in the sky), this vehicle does not appear to be responding as it should. In other words, it is not redirecting (increased) airflow through the dashboard vents. Airflow remains directed through the floor vents at a seemingly insufficient volume of air to properly regulate the cabin temperature.

All the best...
Then why don't you put the airflow selector to the floor and panel vent setting where it gives a mixture of the two?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then why don't you put the airflow selector to the floor and panel vent setting where it gives a mixture of the two?
Good point - and I do. Unfortunately, this rather defeats the purpose of having an 'automatic' climate control system..

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Good point - and I do. Unfortunately, this rather defeats the purpose of having an 'automatic' climate control system..
Their is only one sensor in the system so it cannot sense temperature fluctuations in several areas of the car.

And it cannot sense when you have sunlight shining on you making you feel hotter than what it senses.

I only use the auto fan and temperature control. You can't expect one sensor to be able to do as much as you are asking it to.

Are you thinking if you you have condensation on your windshield that it should know when to turn on the defrost?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts