Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My auto highbeams wont come on, ive checked in the settings menu and it says on. but they never come one. i recently upgraded all the bulbs to silverstars. could this be the issue? car is a 2007 300c.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Did they work prior to the Silverstars? The SmartBeam system uses a camera on the rearview and does not turn on the highbeams unless you are driving over 25MPH and then adjusts the light level (while highbeam is engauged) according to what the camera "see's".

I don't see why bulbs would cause any issue so long as they are the right replacement bulbs. There is also a sensitivity adjustment in the easter egg menues on the EVIC (Search for Easter Egg).

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
There is also a sensitivity adjustment in the easter egg menues on the EVIC (Search for Easter Egg).
I believe the settings in the EVIC diagnostic mode are only for Auto on - turning on automatically at dusk. Don't think they affect the SmartBeams operation. However, the headlight switch does have to be rotated to the A (Auto) position for the SmartBeams to work.

kmb1988, do the highs come on when you pull the turn signal stalk toward you for the flash-to-pass feature? It just occurred to me too, the stalk has to be pressed away from the driver, forward toward the front of the car, all the time for the SmartBeams to work. If it's in the middle position, pulled in toward the driver, the high beams will never come on. The EVIC displays a message for about 5 seconds whenever you change the stalk positions, something like Automatic Headlight System Activated (forward)/Deactivated(toward you - middle position). Can't remember exactly, but words to that effect. I agree that properly installing the right Silverstars shouldn't have any affect on whether the highs come on or not.

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
Yes, for SmartBeam* to function you have to have the Auto High Beam function enabled AND have the stalk forward as if you were turning the high beams on manually. Only then will SmartBeam* be able to turn them off and back on based on the camera and software diagnostics.

With the function disabled in the EVIC, you only have manual control with the stalk. With the function enabled in the EVIC, but the stalk in the low beam position, you still won't have high beams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yea they come on if you pull the stalk back, or if you turn the auto feature off in the settings you can push the stalk foward and they work like manual highs are suppose to. But when the auto featue is on in the settings menu and i push the stalk foward it says auto highbems on or active ir whatever it says, but they never came on last night even when no cars were in sight.!?

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
But when the auto featue is on in the settings menu and i push the stalk foward it says auto highbems on or active ir whatever it says, but they never came on last night even when no cars were in sight.!?
All I can think of is the speed, like Inferno07 said, has to be above 25 mph, and that maybe you were in a place with too much ambient light. Streetlights and even the reflection of my lights off white traffic signs have caused my SmartBeams to turn the high beams off, but they've always gone back to bright when the condition was passed. Can you try it on a dark road without oncoming cars?

You didn't say if the SmartBeam feature worked before you changed the bulbs to Silverstars. If it did, something might have happened during the switch-out - a pinched wire, maybe? If the install's good and it's not the speed or lighting conditions, I'd think you'll need to take it to your dealer to diagnose, but I wouldn't start off telling them you'd changed the bulbs. If that's the problem, they should be able to find so on their own, though then they might charge you for the diagnosis. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no worries guys..i tried it again tonight and they worked fine..no clue what was wrong last night.!?!

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Might have been Operator Error :)

LOL there's too many switches n' stuff!

Glad it's working alright for ya!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts