Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ever have issues with the auto-stick not shifting down or even into autostick mode at certain times?

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not yet..... The "slush box" has been really good to me so far. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you trying to shift when it's cold out? The transmission may not react to manual shifting until it warms up.

·
Registered
477 Posts
build date 4/4/04, at 3800 miles. no noted problems with tranny yet. in fact seems a little smoother and crisper (maybe cause i want it to be) than when new.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Had an issue or two when new. Auto Stick got "confused" a couple of times. Onboard computer seems to have sorted itself out.

I now have 4800 miles and the transmission is very smooth and crisp.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
OK here so far - 1500 miles.
Perhaps you are confusing the intrusion of the ESP into the performance of the powertrain, it can be very "bossy".
Try turning it off, and see if your sensational driving abilities dont return to the fore.
Cheers!

·
Registered
402 Posts
The only "issue" I've encountered is that it shifts ONLY when it likes the RPM it's gonna head to. So, you can't get it to downshift when that would cause it to near the redline. Similarly, it will upshift when you near the redline, regardless of the gear you select.

Not really an issue IMO. Just good sense!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tips?

I hare to ask this; but I have not really utilized auto shift....Can someone provide a quick overview of when/how to use it? I am sure a lot of us would appreciate it. Thx

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
On my previous car, the Chrysler 300M Special, I used it all the time because the automatic was, IMO, very rough and very poor at selecting shift points.

The 300C has a fantastic auto tranny. It has 5 gears and a computer that learns your driving preference. However, I use the auto stick for the following situations:

1. Cruising under 60 mph. I prefer 4th gear as opposed to the automatic's 5th gear choice. This also eliminates that vibration at 55 mph as reported elsewhere in this forum.

2. Downshifting going down hills, rather than using the brakes.

3. Eating BMW's and other lesser life forms for breakfast. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Northern Rider said:
Cruising under 60 mph. I prefer 4th gear as opposed to the automatic's 5th gear choice. This also eliminates that vibration at 55 mph as reported elsewhere in this forum.
And I thought I was the only person that did that. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Northern Rider said:
On my previous car, the Chrysler 300M Special, I used it all the time because the automatic was, IMO, very rough and very poor at selecting shift points.

The 300C has a fantastic auto tranny. It has 5 gears and a computer that learns your driving preference. However, I use the auto stick for the following situations:

1. Cruising under 60 mph. I prefer 4th gear as opposed to the automatic's 5th gear choice. This also eliminates that vibration at 55 mph as reported elsewhere in this forum.

2. Downshifting going down hills, rather than using the brakes.

3. Eating BMW's and other lesser life forms for breakfast. :D
hmmm. i think that replacing the brake pads is lot cheaper than replacing the transmission.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
james jefferson said:
hmmm. i think that replacing the brake pads is lot cheaper than replacing the transmission.
I used to think same, until I heard Phil Hill (famous racecar driver) say he always used engine compression(downshifting) to save his brakes going into turns.
Of course, he only wanted to "survive" for a day's racing. :p

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to like to cruise down hills in neutral dont try it in this car though. It did mess up once and I had an error light for a couple of days.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The auto stick feature on this car is fun. I will say that on my old 300M Special the shifts were much more crisp.

Bob

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
For everyday use (non aggressive) I use as few rpm as possible and don't touch the stick. The ft/mile piston travel is directly related to engine wear, others have commented on trans wear and brakes being cheaper than an MB 5spd trans. Unless I am having fun, even my stick shift cars I use the brakes, save the engine and clutch. Brake pads are cheap and something I can do in half an hour per side.

·
Administrator
7,117 Posts
james jefferson said:
Not to make a mountain out of a molehill... there is a distinction. For mountains, long or steep downhill grades, selecting a lower gear helps to avoid brake overheating, which can lead to fade or failure. For a hill, slowing your speed prior to descent and light steady braking should be adequate.

My problem is I never want to slow down or brake!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Chaseme973 said:
I hare to ask this; but I have not really utilized auto shift....Can someone provide a quick overview of when/how to use it? I am sure a lot of us would appreciate it. Thx
Can someone address this question? I would like to know the parameters of the auto stick as well. Ive used it to drop down and increase acceleration but if I start out in 4th for example it seems to shift through 1,2,3 and stop after it hits 4th. How is this tranni supposed to function?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Don't shift a 300C into neutral while moving?

Billy94Z said:
I used to like to cruise down hills in neutral dont try it in this car though. It did mess up once and I had an error light for a couple of days.
This was the topic of a mighty big & interesting thread over at ALLPAR recently:

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45467

BOTTOMLINE: Do NOT shift into neutral while driving.
OTHERWISE: The Mercedes 5-speed automatic transmission will NOT re-engage until speed goes down to 25mph.
QUESTION: Has anybody else experience this phenomenon? I know I have coasted along once or twice with pretty much the same results, but did not quantify it. :eek:

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
I hit neutral in error when I first got the car, trying to go from autostick back to drive after my first WOT 0-60 run. What happened next was not pretty - engine high revved and the whole electronic shift system got quite confused.

Quite different from the 300M system. Bottom line according to Redman's thread - stay out of neutral while moving.

As to downshifting on hills, there is no way you are going to damage the motor or tranny. You are definitely going to maintain better control, especially on slippery surfaces.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts