Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to my own car having the AUX input adapter added, there are now 3 other 300C members driving around listening to their iPods with prototype units. I'll be mailing an additional one out to a Magnum owner who will do his own install and be using it for DVD purposes instead of an iPod.

I've attached some pictures below and I'll let the testers report in on how things are sounding. Even though I call these test units, they are fully functioning and stable AUX1 versions. The only real differences they will have from the final version is that they can be mounted out of the way as opposed to being in the center console, they won't have the extra disconnect cable hanging off them and they'll be on printed circuit boards. The current ones are hand-built and will be replaced with shipping versions when available.

Here's where I'm at on the progress of manufacturing them: Those elusive iPod cables now have a source. Only thing is Apple hasn't told me who it is yet!! I just signed a non-disclosure agreement with Apple this week so that I can't divulge any of their proprietary information and likewise they wouldn't divulge mine. With this in place, I'm now awaiting the iPod legal group to get our next agreement in place that will give me access to their technical information as well as the source of where those cables may be purchased! (the supplier only sells to whom Apple has approved). As soon as I have the specs for the cable and the connector required for my circuit board, I'll be on may way to having printed circuit boards made. I don't have the final timeline yet, but I'm hoping this whole process won't take too long.

The pictures below show the head unit's screen before adding the AUX input (CD only) and after the AUX unit (CD & VES available). The third pic is the little black box in the center console. Each install had it's own challenge based on different wiring configurations in each car. I'll be putting together some tech notes on what harness will be needed or what may simply just be tapped into based on what your vehicle has. I was actually surprised at how different each car was based on the options the car was manufactured with.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's terrrific Jon, I can't wait to see one in person! Now, you know what my question is... what's it look like w/ the 6-disc head unit? I'm assuming it's displayed similarly on the read-out as the SAT and CD/MP3 displays. Any of those 3 "test" units on a 6-disc? How 'bout some pics of those.

We're all stoked to hear the iPod connectors are coming along! As usual, keep up the great work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i am one of the guys that has jons ipod magic installed in my C....the sound of the ipod thru the stock system is simply glorious. i felt like throwing my old itrip out the window on the way home. the sound is also substantially better then my buddys C, who had a local stereo shop use an fm modulator to directly hook his ipod up. the manner in which jons gig works produces the money sound. thanks, though i can no longer hear the singing of the hemi, as there are 10,000 tunes available now in the euda-C :) o myyyyyyyyyyyyy.

·
Banned
28 Posts
is this for audio only? i just installed 2 7'' monitors in my headrest and my dvd player has aux attachments for cd/ipod i guess? does anyone else have a conversion kit so i can play video's on the nav screen?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AZ300C said:
is this for audio only? i just installed 2 7'' monitors in my headrest and my dvd player has aux attachments for cd/ipod i guess? does anyone else have a conversion kit so i can play video's on the nav screen?
The adapter allows you to bring any external audio source into your head unit. Thus you could pipe the sound from the DVD player you added into the factory system.

If you want the video display on the NAV system, you need to checkout one of the forum sponsors: www.TVandNAV2go.com . I believe there might even be a group buy in progress right now for their NAV video conversion units.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
glhs837 said:
John, hows this work if I have rear seat video? Y cables and the powered device gets the nod?
You know, I'm not sure. It wouldn't be as simple as the powered device gets the nod because there is a two-way data exchange between the devices on a continual basis. You can't just drop one from the network and add the other. I'm sure I could probably do something where I could give you the iPod control and just feed the audio input through the existing VES system. I would have to research and test with this to be sure it could work. One way or another, I'm sure it could work, it's just a matter of figuring out how.

If you don't have SAT, I am going to be doing another version that utilizes the SAT input for full text display.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
300TouringNproud said:
That's terrrific Jon, I can't wait to see one in person! Now, you know what my question is... what's it look like w/ the 6-disc head unit? I'm assuming it's displayed similarly on the read-out as the SAT and CD/MP3 displays. Any of those 3 "test" units on a 6-disc? How 'bout some pics of those.

We're all stoked to hear the iPod connectors are coming along! As usual, keep up the great work.
I have a base REF head unit and have determined that it does not support VES modes. Thus only the middle level 6 disc/MP3 and the REC NAV systems can be used with a VES input.

All of the test systems are on REC/NAV units. Which model is your radio? Maybe you need to come to my place for a day???

·
Banned
72 Posts
Radio ?

Doy You Have To Have The Naigation System For The Ipod Aux Connection To Work?

Luke

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
300cp said:
Doy You Have To Have The Naigation System For The Ipod Aux Connection To Work?

Luke
No, the midline radio with 6CD/MP3 player will work as well. The requirement is that the radio support the VES input mode. The base REF radio does not. This may become a mute point later as I develop the SAT interface version that all the radios support (but you probably won't be able to use Sirius at the same time - not certain on limitations yet).

·
Registered
122 Posts
JonW said:
I have a base REF head unit and have determined that it does not support VES modes. Thus only the middle level 6 disc/MP3 and the REC NAV systems can be used with a VES input.

All of the test systems are on REC/NAV units. Which model is your radio? Maybe you need to come to my place for a day???
What day are you free? :D I have the 6-disc MP3, SGII system, I believe it's the RAQ based on this from you:

JonW said:
The basic head unit is referred to as a REF model. I have recently tested with a REF model and found that it does not support the VES input (even though it has the plug for it). I verified this with not only my own aux units but by plugging in an actual Chrysler VES into the REF head unit. At this time, only the RAQ (6 disc/mp3 CD player) and REC (navigation unit) support the VES inputs. However, all is not lost. The REF unit does support the SAT input (Sirius) and that could be used for this purpose - if you don't use Sirius).
I would be more than happy to swing by and be test mule if you'd like.
I'll PM you w/ my # so you can give me a call and we'll see what we can work out.

·
Banned
72 Posts
hey jon

i just got the normal cd/am/fm unit.............for my 06 300c awd......i have the have the sound group 2 but dont have the 6 disc/mp3 radio............is it compatable w/ the cd/am/fm unit?

I dont know why.....i think i got this one cuz i was gona put a nav in but then took it outtttttt..........so i think the dealer put this one in........or maybe not this may be the stock cd/am/fm radio unit for the 06 awd 300c.....do you knowCOLOR=RED

·
Registered
122 Posts
300cp said:
i just got the normal cd/am/fm unit.............for my 06 300c awd......i have the have the sound group 2 but dont have the 6 disc/mp3 radio............is it compatable w/ the cd/am/fm unit?

I dont know why.....i think i got this one cuz i was gona put a nav in but then took it outtttttt..........so i think the dealer put this one in........or maybe not this may be the stock cd/am/fm radio unit for the 06 awd 300c.....do you knowCOLOR=RED
Perhaps it's time to go to bed... 2 posts prior Jon writes in responce to your post:
JonW said:
The requirement is that the radio support the VES input mode. The base REF radio does not.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ive got a 05 300c, with the navigation system..... what all do i need to get this aux input from you to work on mine...?Do I need the VES SYstem? What Parts? Where to BUY? How Much? THANK YOU!

·
Registered
122 Posts
LAIDBACKC said:
Ive got a 05 300c, with the navigation system..... what all do i need to get this aux input from you to work on mine...?Do I need the VES SYstem? What Parts? Where to BUY? How Much? THANK YOU!
This thread: http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=92109 needs to be read from start to finish before you ask stuff. This question has been answered many times. Jon has been immensely patient in answering questions, and I'm sure very busy keeping this project going. I know he's a great guy and super nice, but be considerate of his time and the forum and please read. I don't normally get on this particular soap box but it's been happening an aweful lot lately in general. Search, read, then ask if your question hasn't been answered.

·
Registered
85 Posts
JonW said:
If you don't have SAT, I am going to be doing another version that utilizes the SAT input for full text display.
so.... i am confused now.

let me see if i understand....

TEXT DISPLAY: ipod track info, Tree Structure display
WITH SAT: no text display
WITHOUT SAT: text display

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
abendx said:
so.... i am confused now.

let me see if i understand....

TEXT DISPLAY: ipod track info, Tree Structure display
WITH SAT: no text display
WITHOUT SAT: text display
Let me see if I can clarify...
The first versions are using the VES input on the head units. Later versions will allow you to use the SAT input as well. The head unit does not support any text display when in VES mode. It only allows a track#/chapter# and running time display. Thus the VES interface models will allow you to navigate playlists and tracks only by a number (similar to how all the other mfg's use the CD disk# in their interfaces for playlist ID's). But, if I use the SAT interface screen, there are fields available for track/title/artist info. Since much of the data used in SAT mode has to be downloaded to the head unit and stored there, it's probably not going to be practical to share the SAT input between a Sirius unit and an iPod unit. When I get further down that road, I'll investigate options for trying to have both on the same input.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm one of the prototype testers for this product also. I have wanted to play songs on my iPod with this car since before I took order of my car. FINALLY I'm able to do it. Right now, my device only sets up for switching tracks manually from the iPod. Later, when Jon gets his cables in, it will also allow me to change tracks from the steering wheels AND power the iPod as well.
Sound quality is outstanding. Sounds just as good as my CD's (IMO). If you have a FM modulator, trust me.... you will want one of these. After taking outt the front bezel, I had the same issue several others had with the pass. side airbag light going on but that was quickly fixed by Jonw and Rogue who walked me through the steps to reset.
I dont plan on having the nav screen converted to RGB yet but maybe in the future.
Jon, thanks for taking all your time to create this. Your time, hard work, and generocity have been overwhelming.
One other MAJOR perk to this.... THe nag screen at the beginning of the navigation is GONE!!!! Jon managed to have it switched to the navigation automatically!! THANK GOD!!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts