Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install the Avic-Z2 in my 05C and want to make sure i have the correct and complete list of things i need.
I have the factory REC NAV.

Here is the list-
Avic-Z2
Bluetooth- ND-BT1
IPOD- CD-IB100II
Sirius- SIR-PNR2
Back up Cam- ND-BC2 or ND-BC20PA
Remote- CD-R5
Dashkit- Metra 99-6510
Harness- Metra CHTO-01
Antenna Adapter- Metra 40-CR20
Steering control- PAC- SWI-CAN and SWI-PS

I think that is all i need. If there is more please let me know.

Also there are quite a few package deals with good discounts on ebay containing the Avic and some of the accessories, has anyone had experience with these.

thanks for your input
B

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ordered everything you said except the sirious radio mod... The XM mod allows traffic BTW. I ordered the Metra 40-CR10 antenna and not the 20. I am pretty sure it is the 10 but I could easily be wrong until I install it. I would ask around and not take my word for it.

I bought the
Avic-Z2
Bluetooth- ND-BT1
IPOD- CD-IB100II
Back up Cam- ND-BC2
for $1250

I also got the this stuff from the guy as well:
Dashkit- Metra 99-6510

I got everything for $1381 shipped to my door. The place gave a 4 month warrenty on all parts and says they are covered from the manufacturer for a year (I don't know if I believe him). Some places on ebay give a full 1 year warrenty (of course who knows how good it is).

I also got the metra harness from circuit city online for around $95. I ordered the metra antenna from ebay for like 10 dollars. Anyways if you want the guys contact info or want to talk more contract me via PM.

·
Registered
280 Posts
yes, yes

I ordered everything you said except the sirious radio mod... The XM mod allows traffic BTW. I ordered the Metra 40-CR10 antenna and not the 20. I am pretty sure it is the 10 but I could easily be wrong until I install it. I would ask around and not take my word for it.

I bought the
Avic-Z2
Bluetooth- ND-BT1
IPOD- CD-IB100II
Back up Cam- ND-BC2
for $1250

I also got the this stuff from the guy as well:
Dashkit- Metra 99-6510

I got everything for $1381 shipped to my door. The place gave a 4 month warrenty on all parts and says they are covered from the manufacturer for a year (I don't know if I believe him). Some places on ebay give a full 1 year warrenty (of course who knows how good it is).

I also got the metra harness from circuit city online for around $95. I ordered the metra antenna from ebay for like 10 dollars. Anyways if you want the guys contact info or want to talk more contract me via PM.
you are the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, all you need is to hook it up LOL dj griff

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks cheifsfan

i thought that was correct about what you said on the antenna adapter but i couldnt find that one on the metra sight but i do find it on ebay so i will go with the one u said. I think i am going to be able to get all my stuff for about 1500 total shipped which i thought was pretty good.

are you installing yours or having someone do it?
let me know if you run into any troubles and how much it ends up costing you to install.

i may get that seller info from you, it might be another week or so before i buy all my stuff.
thanks again
B

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I am going to install the Avic-Z2 in my 05C and want to make sure i have the correct and complete list of things i need.
I have the factory REC NAV.

Here is the list-
Avic-Z2
Bluetooth- ND-BT1
IPOD- CD-IB100II
Sirius- SIR-PNR2
Back up Cam- ND-BC2 or ND-BC20PA
Remote- CD-R5
Dashkit- Metra 99-6510
Harness- Metra CHTO-01
Antenna Adapter- Metra 40-CR20

I think that is all i need. If there is more please let me know.

Also there are quite a few package deals with good discounts on ebay containing the Avic and some of the accessories, has anyone had experience with these.

thanks for your input
B
I PM'd a pretty reputable person on another forum about what is needed and for the steering control he said PAC SWI-Can2 and SWI-X? Not sure of what the difference is but he's pretty familiar with this set up. For the harness he also recommended the PAC C2R-CHY2.

I am sure there is different parts that can get the job done.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am going form memory here but from what i read the pac swi-can2 is a newer version of the swi-can. i dont know what differences it has. i will email them and see. also i think the swi-x was a generic one that worked with alot of the units, not positive there either.
I am pretty sure that the c2r-chy2 does not work with the factory amp. i have the 8 speaker boston system so i think i need the chto-01
i could be wrong.
thanks for the input.
you are correct i am sure there is more than one setup to get it done.
later
B

·
Registered
57 Posts
The C2R-CHY does work with the amp. I am not sure about the C2R-CHY2. The C2R-CHY does not have fade control and I assume the C2R-CHY2 doesn't as well but I could be wrong. That is why I went with the CHTO-01. I also wondered about the swi-can2 but didnt waste my time with it since I have heard the swi-can works.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
This is what was told to me:

Part Number: C2R-CHY2 (this is for replacing the head unit and still maintaining the Canbus integrity of the car (otherwise you will have a butt load of MIL codes)</SPAN>
The C2R-CHY2 allows you to replace the factory radio in MSCAN Dodge and Jeep vehicles. The C2R-CHY2 also turns on the factory amplifier via CANbus information. The Steering wheel controls can be retained using the SWI-CAN2 and a radio specific SWI-interface, once again plug and play when used with the C2R-CHY2.• R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) +12v output.
• VSS output.
• Illumination output.
• Parking brake output.
• Reverse trigger output.
• Digital amp turn-on.
Compatible Vehicles:
2007-2008 Dodge Nitro, Jeep Wrangler
2008 Caravan, Town&Country, LibertyLatest Revision: 1.1.4Instructions: c2r-chy2

If you DON'T have the factory AMP then this is the part

Part Number: C2R-CHYNA </SPAN>

Part Number: C2R-CHYNA </SPAN>
The C2R-CHYNA allows you to replace the factory radio in Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep LSFT CANbus vehicles. This interface is designed the installation of non-navigation radios into vehicles without a factory amplifier. The Steering wheel controls can be retained using the SWI-CAN/2 and a radio specific SWI-interface, once again plug and play when used with the C2R-CHY.• R.A.P. +12v output.
• Illumination output. 2004-2007 Durango
2005-2007 300, Magnum, Dakota, Charger, Grand Cherokee, Commander
2006-2007 Caliber, Ram, Mitsubishi Raider
2007 Aspen
2007-2008 Compass, PT Cruiser, Patriot, Caliber, RamLatest Revision: 1.4.1Instructions: c2r-chyna

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah but I believe the C2R-CHY2 does not have fade control from what I have heard. This is important to me because of my wife not wanting noise in the rear with my daughter on trips lol. Anyways if fade control isn't a big concern then it it is more plug and play with the steering wheel controls than the Metra harness...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
go herd
If you have the rec unit you shouldnt need that. If you have any other unit you can buy that one or if you use your current bezel but you will have the "mouse ears" on both sides of the Z2. so it is your call.

cheifsfan is correct. i couldnt remember the difference in teh harness, but yes the CHTO-01 allows for fader control.

thanks
B

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It would be great if someone can post a DIY install of the avic z2? I for one would like to install the avic myself but don't have enough knowledge of how to?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered everything i need for the Avic-z2 last night. Install will be about 150 to 200. i dont have the time or know how to do it myself. all in all with install i will spend about 1600. pretty good for a unit that is supposedly 2200. I will be selling my factory REC nav unit so hopefully it will bring me some money. let me know if anyone might be interested. Also will sell the aftermarket uconnect and possibly the bezel, i think i may go with a customized one to clean the look up.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Did you ever get this installed yet?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it installed yesterday and go back monday for the alarm and remote start install. they were supposed to do that yesterday as well but couldnt get teh bluetooth to work so they worked on getting it to work all afternoon and couldnt. so i picked it up and figured i would just not have bluetooth. so when i got home i tried pairing the phone from teh nav and it didnt work, then i tried from the phone and it is working perfectly. the shop is a great shop and they werent trying to be rude or anything but they thought it was because i got a refurbished unit. oh well i guess refurbs are just fine.

I got my unit, bluetooth, ipod, sirius, backup cam, remote start and alarm, and everything installed for just under $2000.
i think i did pretty well.
If you want to do this mod i suggest doing the legwork yourself to get all the parts. If i would have bought from the shop that installed it i would have spent 2500 on just the deck.

the sound is amazing by the way and dvd is awesome. Also make sure you do the in motion hack, its so much better.

if you have any questions feel free to ask

later
B

·
Registered
57 Posts
OK here it is:

I had to order 3 Metra Harnesses (YES 3). 1 was defective (gain was broken), 1 was the wrong harness with the same model # (no ves), and one works).

It is a very easy install. Try it yourself. Mine was a little more complicated. I have the following options:
Bluetooth
Ipod
and I am hookin in the stock rear VES system. My rear VES system outputs a very faint line signal to my Z2. I was forced to buy a line signal amplifier. I will let you know how this turns out.

Honestly the install so far has been very easy. The bypass was incredibly easy!!! The metra harness sucked to find one that works but it is nice to have rear fade control. When I put the gain all the way on the right side it does not go to both the front and back but when I move it over towards the center it goes to both speakers. Anyways the metra harness is ok but maybe the PAC would be the way to go if you don't care about rear fade control. I need to add my rearview camera, the line signal amplifier and a video switcher for future sources next. The only other thing that sucks is I cannot connect any video output from the rear VES to the avic because the ves does not have video out.

About the z2:

I do not like how there is no mp3 screen showing all details of the mp3 (they have one but it only stays on the track you click it for).

The songs and titles do not scroll! Come on now pioneer.

I dont like the blue interface buttons that well. They are easy to use just not the best to look at.

The songs do not random on a mp3 cd unless you let them finish or you hit the playlist button. If you hit next track on your steering wheel or z2 it will go to the actual next track below the track playing on the z2. I have heard this is the way pioneer has always done it but it is still annoying and I was very disappointed. I guess at least you can hit the playlist button to go to a random track at least.

Ipod interface sucks from what i hear. I have not used it yet. It is very slow for searching tracks. It works well for just playing random tracks though.

It does not show album art on mp3 cd's or from the ipod.

It does not play DVD Mp3 cds

The audio quality is very nice but not worth an upgrade from stock.

Anyways I do love this and recommend it I wanted to bring up things i found that disappointed me and could be improved on so you don't have any suprises like I did when I installed it. It is an amazing player just leaves something to be desired.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
OK here it is:

I had to order 3 Metra Harnesses (YES 3). 1 was defective (gain was broken), 1 was the wrong harness with the same model # (no ves), and one works).

It is a very easy install. Try it yourself. Mine was a little more complicated. I have the following options:
Bluetooth
Ipod
and I am hookin in the stock rear VES system. My rear VES system outputs a very faint line signal to my Z2. I was forced to buy a line signal amplifier. I will let you know how this turns out.

Honestly the install so far has been very easy. The bypass was incredibly easy!!! The metra harness sucked to find one that works but it is nice to have rear fade control. When I put the gain all the way on the right side it does not go to both the front and back but when I move it over towards the center it goes to both speakers. Anyways the metra harness is ok but maybe the PAC would be the way to go if you don't care about rear fade control. I need to add my rearview camera, the line signal amplifier and a video switcher for future sources next. The only other thing that sucks is I cannot connect any video output from the rear VES to the avic because the ves does not have video out.

About the z2:

I do not like how there is no mp3 screen showing all details of the mp3 (they have one but it only stays on the track you click it for).

The songs and titles do not scroll! Come on now pioneer.

I dont like the blue interface buttons that well. They are easy to use just not the best to look at.

The songs do not random on a mp3 cd unless you let them finish or you hit the playlist button. If you hit next track on your steering wheel or z2 it will go to the actual next track below the track playing on the z2. I have heard this is the way pioneer has always done it but it is still annoying and I was very disappointed. I guess at least you can hit the playlist button to go to a random track at least.

Ipod interface sucks from what i hear. I have not used it yet. It is very very slow for searching tracks. It works well for randomizing tracks though.

It does not show album art on mp3 cd's or from the ipod.

It does not play DVD Mp3 cds

The audio quality is very nice but not worth an upgrade from stock.

Anyways I do love this and recommend it I wanted to bring up things i found that disappointed me and could be improved on so you don't have any suprises like I did when I installed it. It is an amazing player just leaves something to be desired.

Uhh..now I have doubt...honestly reading through your post....it was a lot of negativity..I know it was so that we THE PUBLIC could be aware but you did come across as frustrated. Not until the very last paragraph did you say you recommend it and even at that your last sentence is LEAVES SOMETHING TO BE DESIRED! I might be going with the Corsa catback now??

I do appreciate your candor and honesty......

·
Registered
57 Posts
No, get the z2!! I was not trying to being negative and these are just points that could sway you one direction or another. I have NO regrets getting the Z2. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was just telling my wife i want to go out for a drive tonight to play with the z2 lol!!!

I was more fustrated with the metra harness than anything else. If you get from crutchfield you shouldn't have an issue (i didn't do this and I do recommend it), or just get the pac harness. The wiring was fun, installation was easy, and the z2 is an awesome head unit.

I will only say it shouldn't be on whether you want a z2 or not is should be if you want a z2 or the kenwood dnx7100 deck. The kenwood deck has much better navigation (it is garmin). The pioneer deck has some misrouting of calculations a lot (I have not noticed it and i like the looks of the navi screens on the pioneer a lot more so I went with it). Go to avic411 website to see more about it. The kenwood also has album art and better ipod control. Again it wasnt that big of a deal to me because I random tracks on my ipod. The kenwood does not have voice recognition (that is the big advantage for the z2). That was the difference for me but have made me get the z2. Anyways I got it and love it.

I would still get the Z2 if i did it again. If not I would get the kenwood deck. I would not hesitate twice about getting one of these units. They look great!! I am an engineer (it is my personality) to look at all the negative side of things before the positive. Just see if those issues are enough for you not to buy a z2. I suggest you get one/

Well I have to go out and drive around and play with my z2.

Later

1 - 20 of 30 Posts