Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doubt anyone has driven an AWD in snowy conditions, but figured it's worth a shot to ask: How does the AWD version of the 300C handle in snow? I bought my RWD C April 14, 2004 and drove it for about 8 months before I encountered snow on the roadway. After the first scary slide around a corner in the car I rented a truck for the weekend. I'm now thinking of trading my RWD in for an AWD. Will the AWD be more drivable in the snow without inducing fear (in passengers) like the RWD did?

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
There is NO comparison for RWD vs. AWD is rain or snow.

But then it has to actually scare you first. I love fish tailing. It's fun. :D

gotta 4x4 truck I'm gonna miss to give up, but it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
HiMiHemiMD said:
I doubt anyone has driven an AWD in snowy conditions, but figured it's worth a shot to ask: How does the AWD version of the 300C handle in snow? I bought my RWD C April 14, 2004 and drove it for about 8 months before I encountered snow on the roadway. After the first scary slide around a corner in the car I rented a truck for the weekend. I'm now thinking of trading my RWD in for an AWD. Will the AWD be more drivable in the snow without inducing fear (in passengers) like the RWD did?

First question...what the heck tires were you on at the time?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had my AWD in the snow numerous times since February. Just a few days ago as a matter of fact. Gotta love Montana. The way it handles is amazing. I've driven well over a million miles, several hundred thousand of those on snowy roads. The C felt like it was glued to the road, very confidence inspiring. If I had to choose between my 4x4 pickup and my C for interstate snow driving, I'd take the C every time. Reminds me of driving my awd Yukon Denali. Even when I deliberately through it around in the corners just to see the limits it was very controllable and predictable with the ESP off. With it on it does a remarkable job of correcting a skid. I am anxiously awaiting Michelin to release Arctic Alpins in this size, I've used them on several other vehicles, the grip is nothing short of amazing!

I've owned tons of cars and with the exception of my Denali, the AWD C performs the best in the snow so far, you won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Dude, you're in the DC metro area, no need for AWD. It just takes some practice, though I guess with these wide tires they use even that wont do it Just buy 300lbs of sand and stick it in the trunk pushed all the way to the back of the trunk so it's over the wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was in near white out conditions up here in the Rocky Mountains three days after I got my AWD. It felt incredibly stable, more so than my Subaru which has been a great winter car. No slipping or sliding whatsover, even with 6 to 12 inches accumulation on the road. Now if everyone else was driving an AWD 300C too...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had the stock Continentals on it at the time...have changed to the BF Goodrich tires since then. I now have 23000 on the car and have been looking for another reason to replace it. Thanks for the input my friends!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts