Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, some newbie questions for you. :)

I am considering purchasing a 300C. Because there is snow on the roads 5 months a year where I am I'm considering the AWD model. However I also like performance. I did a search, but there doesn't seem to be any discussion on the AWD. What is the performance difference between the regular C and the AWD C? Is the AWD drive system strong enough to support mods? Does anyone drive the RWD model in the snow with winter tires? If so how does it drive?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
300awd said:

I am considering purchasing a 300C. Because there is snow on the roads 5 months a year where I am I'm considering the AWD model. However I also like performance. I did a search, but there doesn't seem to be any discussion on the AWD. What is the performance difference between the regular C and the AWD C? Is the AWD drive system strong enough to support mods? Does anyone drive the RWD model in the snow with winter tires? If so how does it drive?

I was on the fence before I bought my 300C whether ot not to get AWD or not...let me tell you living in Denver where it does snow AWD is the way to go. No spinning around just traction and go. Don't listen to the salemen trying to tell you the RWD will do just as well..it won't. Just look at a couple of threads about driving in some bad snow storms and you make the call :biggrin:

If you are concerned about performance don't be because it still performes just as a RWD just better traction. I believe the AWD is slower to 60...what a tenth of a second (.1) big deal a good driver can easely make up that!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awd Way To Go

I'M JUST OUT OF AN INFINITY G35 W/RR WD, IT WAS HORRIBLE IN SNOW, MY WIFE SAYS THE NEW C W/AWD IS A TANK IN THE SNOW,CHRYSLER GUY TOLD ME IT WAS THE BEST THING THEY COULD HAVE DONE TO IMPROVE CAR IF YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH SNOW![quote="C"Bandit]I was on the fence before I bought my 300C whether ot not:biggrin: to get AWD or not...let me tell you living in Denver where it does snow AWD is the way to go. No spinning around just traction and go. Don't listen to the salemen trying to tell you the RWD will do just as well..it won't. Just look at a couple of threads about driving in some bad snow storms and you make the call :biggrin:

If you are concerned about performance don't be because it still performes just as a RWD just better traction. I believe the AWD is slower to 60...what a tenth of a second (.1) big deal a good driver can easely make up that![/quote]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's.

I am leaning toward AWD, but does anyone no how strong the system is? Can it handle a few mods? What if I want to put a blower on it sometime in the future?

Concerning RWD 300c in the winter I'm guessing most of the horror story's are with the stock all-season radials. What is the RWD drive like with a good set of Blizzak snow tires? I thought it might not be that bad with the excellent TCS that the 300's have.

Bottom line is if the AWD system can handle 500 HP (just in case :) ) I would probably go that route.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Sorry 300awd, I can't offer you the pros of awd because it's not needed where I live....until last night! Normally, one has to drive to get to the snow around here. However, a light sprinkling came all the way down to the lower foothills where I live but this is not all that common and it's already beginning to melt under the morning sun. I love my RWD and that's after spending the past 13 years with FWD!

Anyway, I want to welcome you to the forums!
bruno

·
Registered
40 Posts
300awd said:

I have to say, even though here in NJ we only see snow off and on for 3 months it can get bad at times. Which we did see 22" in my city this past weekend. Of course i waited until 3am to test my cars snow worthiness when no one was on the roads not even snow plows. The snow was 9" deep at the time. With the stock tires i was able to climb very steep hills with no wheel slip on unplowed roads. i think the car is great i get the best of both worlds. a few friends of mine have rear drive 300s and they couldn't get out of their driveways. Of course i drove by to say hello.:drive:

·
Registered
96 Posts
300awd said:
No one has any idea how much power the AWD system can handle?

Not sure if anyone with a AWD 300C has taken the power to the 500HP level.

But if you think about it the guys making big HP with just RWD don't seem to be having any driveline issues that i'm aware of so it just seems common sence that DC would make the AWD drivetrain plenty stout for some power upgrades knowing what kind of conditions owners would be driving these cars in...right?

Keep in mind that the power is being spit between 2 axles ect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts