Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the back up sensors are supposed to make any beeping noise when you're getting close to hitting something or is it just the lights that turn red across the back? My wife swore she heard something once but I have tried a couple of tests and didn't hear anything. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the radio or anything need to be on for the sound to be heard?

·
Registered
448 Posts
It emits a warning sound only under one circumstance: as you get closer to an object, successively more lights are activated...when the last light (which is a different color) is turned on, the warning sounds. There is no sound untill all lights are glowing.

When the warning sounds, the radio, if turned on, is muted.

ON EDIT: well that's how I thought mine works; but, the owner's manual (P. 88 & 89) has a slightly different description: the first lights to come on are a series of yellow ones with no sound; the last two lights are red, when the first turns on the system beeps, when both red lights turn on the tone is constant.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I believe you can turn the alert on or off in the EVIC menu under Personal Settings. If it doesn't start beeping when the red lights are on, check your settings.

Put it in reverse and have someone stand right behind the car...it should show full red and beep.

·
Registered
448 Posts
C-Man said:
I'd use a box, just in case your foot slips. ;)
Unless he can be really selective about who he picks. :banana:

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
frank29 said:
Unless he can be really selective about who he picks. :banana:
Yeah, THAT would be a great use for an 'ex'!!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Good point on the EVIC on mode, as touched on it only beeps when the lights are red. I give major credit to the DC engineers to have the system mute the radio when it beeps. I have posted previously DO NOT DEPEND ON THIS THING TO ALERT YOU TO THE PRESENCE OF A CHILD, for that you need a rear camera. This is park assist for bumpers, doors etc. I tested it on a child's bike, sometimes it picked it up, sometimes not. This car has rather large rear blind spots, know (not think) for sure where your kids are when backing up.

·
Registered
710 Posts
On mine, you hear two quick beeps when you put it in reverse to tell you the system is active. When you come within about 6 feet of an object you will hear slow beeps. As you get closer to the object the beeps become faster (closer together), until you are within about 2 feet when the beep is continuous. I haven't noticed any change in volume, and I never pay any attention to the lights....just the beeps. The system works great, and is one of the best investments you can make, IMO. I also agree with II kings 9:20. Different objects do cause the system to respond differently (sensitivity). It's definitely not fool-proof, but a step in the right direction, and much better than no warning system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must have an issue with mine because it doesn't make any sound at all when I put the car in reverse or when the lights go to red. I checked the EVIC and it is set to ON for the option Parking Assist which I am assuming is the correct choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me why the reverse back up sensor stopped beeping when backing close to objects. The front one has stopped too. Also my speakers in the car will not allow sounds to come through. Help please.

·
Registered
710 Posts
This thread was created way back in 2005 and your newer systems may be totally different than the earlier ones. Anyway, I would hope they've improved the system over the years as, I thought the early systems were quite crude..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts