Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I know we are revisiting the issue of engine noise again. Some of you have said that the clicking/ticking at engine idle you hear is normal. One of you have said its a prob with the lifters.

Well, after making an appt for 7AM at my dealer and waiting 4 hrs to find out the problem is:

Apparently, they think the ticking/clicking noise at idle speed I am hearing is a bad selenoid. He's is not sure so I have to make another appt for him to diagnose it better and change it if necessary.

Have any of you had this problem? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance. BTW: Have a Very Happy Holiday!!!

Shiva

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had a valet ask if the car was a diesel. I said no and burned a little rubber to prove it. Has anyone tried a thicker oil as an experiment to see if its the lifters? I don't dare.
Could be piston slap. I understand they are light short skirt pistons. But yadeedadeeda. My runs like H*@().

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I had the same ticking noise and my dealer said its the solenoid and he said its normal.
I than said it never did this up until about a month ago and he had nothing to say.
Go figure.

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
lmhoward said:
I had a valet ask if the car was a diesel. I said no and burned a little rubber to prove it. Has anyone tried a thicker oil as an experiment to see if its the lifters? I don't dare.
Could be piston slap. I understand they are light short skirt pistons. But yadeedadeeda. My runs like H*@().

At the risk of starting another 14 page "oil thread", DO NOT use anything other than 5w20 in the 5.7 MDS engine!

They all make noise. MY theory ( may be off base but it's as good as anyone else's so far...) is that the noise is due to the design of the engine, with the camshaft very high in the block, to the point that the pushrods are almost horizontal. I think the noise has to do with the geometry between the pushrods and the rocker arms. Like I said I didn't hear that from anyone official but it would make sense; whatever the cause of the noise it seems to be more of a "quirk" in this engine rather than an actual problem. Put it in gear and push down the gas pedal and that little "tick" is instantly replaced by a very sweet sound indeed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kevenj said:
At the risk of starting another 14 page "oil thread", DO NOT use anything other than 5w20 in the 5.7 MDS engine!

They all make noise. MY theory ( may be off base but it's as good as anyone else's so far...) is that the noise is due to the design of the engine, with the camshaft very high in the block, to the point that the pushrods are almost horizontal. I think the noise has to do with the geometry between the pushrods and the rocker arms. Like I said I didn't hear that from anyone official but it would make sense; whatever the cause of the noise it seems to be more of a "quirk" in this engine rather than an actual problem. Put it in gear and push down the gas pedal and that little "tick" is instantly replaced by a very sweet sound indeed!
Well. The dealer said its definitely not the lifters. The selenoid DOES make noise, and its normal, but its louder than he comfortable with.

·
Registered
331 Posts
kevenj said:

I would never use or suggest anything but 5-20w and mine has synthetic since 300 miles. But if the Jiffy lube put something else in by mistake I would like to hear if it changed the noises emanating from the Hemi. (hpoefully not boom) Anyone? I do agree with you. (The design of the engine) But with all the different engines in transportation I've owned, straight sixes, V-8's, Horizontal 4's, Horizontal 6's, V-6's, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, car, airplane, motorcycle, nothing had at any moment, new or at slow or sudden death, the exact sound. The closest I can come to is a diesel rabbit from the 70's. I have the solenoid popping sound as well but I know exactly what it is and causes me no concern whatsoever. Almost sounds like a hot engine popping as it cool's off after shutdown. I believe all these sounds are normal for this engine, however I prefer to know. Because of the "diesel sound" I presumed, perhaps wrongly so, the motor has a bit of piston noise. Let me reiterate that I truly believe it is normal, as you do, not a reliablilty issue, etc. but I'm curious and interested in understanding it. Inquiring minds want to know. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
What solenoid specifically are you guys referring to? Reason I ask is that my engine is not "that" noisy, but it definitely is not the quietest engine I've heard at idle. But it seems to be coming from the "whole" engine, up high but internal, not from a single external source like I would think of if it was a solenoid making noise.

By the way my brother's '04 Ram 1500 Hemi (without MDS of course) sounds EXACTLY like my 300c at idle; which was why I was not worried about the noise my 300c made. By the time I got my "C", he already had 12,000 miles on his truck with no problems and no change in the 'ticking' from the Hemi.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't remember mine making a ticking noise when I first got it, doesn't mean it didn't I just didn't notice it, I usually drive around with the stereo on and either the heat or a/c going so never really noticed it. However the last month or so if I turn the stereo off and the temp control off, I notice it I was starting to get alittle worried about it. So what I am gathering is that this is nothing to be concerned with then?

Have a good one

·
Registered
39 Posts
SamsonXD said:
I don't remember mine making a ticking noise when I first got it, doesn't mean it didn't I just didn't notice it, I usually drive around with the stereo on and either the heat or a/c going so never really noticed it. However the last month or so if I turn the stereo off and the temp control off, I notice it I was starting to get alittle worried about it. So what I am gathering is that this is nothing to be concerned with then?

Have a good one
I feel the same way. Did I just not notice this before??

I took mine to the dealer to have the sound listened too. Didn't wanna 'tick' while I was @ the dealer, of course. Mine seems to come from the passenger side of the engine, back towards the firewall.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Todd RT said:
I feel the same way. Did I just not notice this before??

I took mine to the dealer to have the sound listened too. Didn't wanna 'tick' while I was @ the dealer, of course. Mine seems to come from the passenger side of the engine, back towards the firewall.

Thats where he said the selenoid is located. I think its that round looking cylinder linda like an old ignition coil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
shiva_va said:
Hey Guys,
I know we are revisiting the issue of engine noise again. Some of you have said that the clicking/ticking at engine idle you hear is normal. One of you have said its a prob with the lifters.

Hi Shiva,

I do have an engine noise like (poq,poq,poq) and a vibration, sometimes I feel that I am driving a 1992 Mustang. I've took my car to the agent however they told me that its normal but I'm not satisfied and this noise is driving me crazy.

Please advise as soon as possible

regards

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Dropped her off this morning and got a 4 banger Stratus loaner for the day.

Will let you al know what they say, whether its actually the selenoid, or something else. If it is the selenoid, I'll let you know how much of a reduction there is for the clicking, popping noise that we all hear.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great...keep us updated what they have to say about this as I would really like to know one way or another.

Mine has done it since day one but some days it's not as pronounced as others.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had to bring the car into the dealer to get the tranny o-ring replaced to stop the oil leak and we talked a great deal about the engine tick. They swear it is an oil filter issue!! He took one look at my Purolator Ultra oil filter (which by the way was one of the most highly rated filters out there) and said he has seen this many times. They mentioned the restriction in oil flow with these and similar aftermarket oil filters....just enough to limite oil to the lifters and make them tick. I bought three Mopar oil filters and will do an oil change tomorrow. I will report the results tomorrow.

As I recall, the noise distinctly appeared right around 6,000 miles...which incidently is shortly after the second oil change when I went from a typical fram to the purolator.

Thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[QUOTE="C"Bandit]Great...keep us updated what they have to say about this as I would really like to know one way or another.

Mine has done it since day one but some days it's not as pronounced as others.[/QUOTE]

Well, I spoke with the technician, and he found no problems. None at all.

The reason for the excess noise: 1. The design of the engine, due to the roller cam design and the location of the cam. It sits pretty high.

2. The plastic manifold.

Well, what do you all have to say about that?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
kevenj said:

I'd say Kj Hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
96 Posts
HEMI~C~ said:
I had to bring the car into the dealer to get the tranny o-ring replaced to stop the oil leak and we talked a great deal about the engine tick. They swear it is an oil filter issue!! He took one look at my Purolator Ultra oil filter (which by the way was one of the most highly rated filters out there) and said he has seen this many times. They mentioned the restriction in oil flow with these and similar aftermarket oil filters....just enough to limite oil to the lifters and make them tick. I bought three Mopar oil filters and will do an oil change tomorrow. I will report the results tomorrow.

As I recall, the noise distinctly appeared right around 6,000 miles...which incidently is shortly after the second oil change when I went from a typical fram to the purolator.

Thoughts?

Chris

Man thats a good one...those dealers sure can come up with sum SH*T!

First of all then why do they tick right off the dealer floor, they have MOPAR oil filters then don't they :fing26:

Also I just did my second oil change at 8150 miles using Mobile1 synthetic 5W-20 both times and always use MOPAR oil filters. It still ticks. IMO I don't believe the tick is anything to worry about but find it funny what the dealers have to say about it :AR15firin

1 - 20 of 36 Posts