Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 1 member had 1 im bagging mine out very soon and was wondering if ne 1 new what he used struts,bags,cans etc...and if the system he used was "bolt on" or not! thanks

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Im lookin at doing the same, - check out www.airride.com - there supposed ot be the best in air ride, they were in the magazine "Rides - The 300C Aftermarket Bible" What I wanna know is I hear people say it rides horrible and I hear other people say it "floats" like a caddy, so does it depend on the system, or what...thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
LAIDBACKC said:
Im lookin at doing the same, - check out www.airride.com - there supposed ot be the best in air ride, they were in the magazine "Rides - The 300C Aftermarket Bible" What I wanna know is I hear people say it rides horrible and I hear other people say it "floats" like a caddy, so does it depend on the system, or what...thanks
HOLD UP!!!! Please, please, please take my advice on this and DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy an air ride technologies system if you give two shits about your C!!! The people you hear that say it rides horrible probably had Air Ride Tech and the people who said it "floats" probably had anything else.

I would recommend asking around and finding a shop around you that is KNOWN for doing bags and let them do it with whatever it is they do it with. Air Ride Tech has a horrible product, horrible cust svc, horrible etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i did...... i talked to the one shop that does the most air rides in our city and they suggessted nothing but air ride technologies.... it also depends on the kit you buy and everything.... sound like maybe you just had a "lemon" type of deal... everyone i talked to that said theres floated uses air ride technologies...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
LAIDBACKC said:
i did...... i talked to the one shop that does the most air rides in our city and they suggessted nothing but air ride technologies.... it also depends on the kit you buy and everything.... sound like maybe you just had a "lemon" type of deal... everyone i talked to that said theres floated uses air ride technologies...
"Floating" like a caddy is not a good thing on a performance based automobile. I would suggest doing your research into a shop before trusting their opinion on the products they are trying to sell you. It's called Sales. ;)

I have ridden in many bagged vehicles, some ride like a normal car, others ride like they are floating on a cushion of air. It depends heavily on the ride height you have vehicle at also. A bag setup that feels like its "floating" may be real nice when cruising down the street, but the moment you have to turn, your car looks like a land barge.

I've heard lots of bad things about pre-fabricated air bag kits, and even worse things about Air Ride Technologies. If the shop you are going to is recommending them, its most likely because they aren't knowledgable enough to put together their own 4 link setups. A respectable custom shop fabricates everything to fit a certain vehicle. Hence the term "Custom".

Your shop is looking for the easy way out, something I would avoid. Do it right or now at all. ;)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
whats ideal for me is to wait until a company actually comes out with a kit specifically for the C.... and the shop i am talking to is the most reputable in our city, ive ridden one of the cars they have done and its a smooth ride, then again it was an s-10, but still..... hey i dont wanna F my car up , but i do want air ride... so i dono wut to do

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Like I said, do something right or not at all.

Waiting for a prefabricated kit for the 300c is like waiting for Alpine to release a 300c Audio System.

The work you are talking about getting is Custom. The only thing that should be prefabricated about it, is the air tank, valves, controller, and compressors. The rest should be custom fabricated to your budget and your needs.

If your shop isn't capable of fabricating everything necessary to bag your 300c as it sits right now, then they aren't a safe bet in my opinion. They lack the knowledge and experience to do it themselves, and are relying on a 3rd party to do the R&D.

Find a better shop. I speak from experience. I have multiple friends running custom fabrication shops. They've all been begging to airbag my 300c, because they know what they are doing. They aren't waiting till someone makes a "kit" for them.

·
Banned
119 Posts
rogue said:
"Floating" like a caddy is not a good thing on a performance based automobile. I would suggest doing your research into a shop before trusting their opinion on the products they are trying to sell you. It's called Sales. ;)

I have ridden in many bagged vehicles, some ride like a normal car, others ride like they are floating on a cushion of air. It depends heavily on the ride height you have vehicle at also. A bag setup that feels like its "floating" may be real nice when cruising down the street, but the moment you have to turn, your car looks like a land barge.

I've heard lots of bad things about pre-fabricated air bag kits, and even worse things about Air Ride Technologies. If the shop you are going to is recommending them, its most likely because they aren't knowledgable enough to put together their own 4 link setups. A respectable custom shop fabricates everything to fit a certain vehicle. Hence the term "Custom".

Your shop is looking for the easy way out, something I would avoid. Do it right or now at all. ;)

When it comes to trucks, fabrication is the best.My best friend owns a fabrication shop and air suspension is life for us.Pre fabricated kits are a godsend for cars. The 4 link you speak of is a suspension design for trucks or suvs only. you cant put a 4 link on a car . When is comes to cars theres not much to fabricate so a Kit makes the job alot easier and as long as the kit contains quality valves , compressors, and fittings you have no worries. My last car had a pre fab kit on it for 2 years without problems, and i installed it in one day. But i do agree, do your HW and find a quality shop if your going to get it custom built.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I agree with rogue.... I had a bagged truck for two years and the whole suspension was custom (firestone bags, smc valves, KP 4 link...), not a kit. I know people who have AIM and Air ride technologies products and they don't like the ride and have had nothing but problems(stuck valves, didn't ride nice, did not get the lift they wanted that others with fabricated suspension had) I would recommend a shop that asks what you want and then tells you exactly how they can due that.(usually won't involve a kit) just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
thanks for all ur input guys, but i dont understand the reason to having a custom fabrication done at huge dollars, versus if they already make an actual kit, that is already fabricated to "fit" my car, they can make any additional custom work they need to... and this same shop was also willing to put an air ride system on my 4wd truck..... so they definitely can do it custom fabricated.... but its just not necessary to do so if you can make a kit where the work is already done.

·
Registered
464 Posts
LAIDBACKC said:
I know Rogue already touched on this, but 'the one shop that does the most airrides in' your city wouldn't be using ART if they really knew what was going on.

I had my ART installed at the one shop that does the most air rides in our city and they suggessted nothing but air ride technologies in College Station, TX when I was in school. I had no idea what was going on, so like the impulsive idiot that I am, I said ok and let them do it for nearly 4k.

Then I moved to Houston and after talking to a couple of people, I learned that there were a couple of shops here that specialize in bags and are really good. Well, when my cheaply made ART started leaking, switches started going out, etc, I took my truck to one of these well know shops. They explained to me what a real system looked like and basically proved to me that ART were garbage.

Long story short, let my $4000 mistake be my gift to you. A quality place will custom install your bags with firestone bags and a bunch of other crazy stuff that I don't really know much about.

·
Registered
464 Posts
LAIDBACKC said:
thanks for all ur input guys, but i dont understand the reason to having a custom fabrication done at huge dollars, versus if they already make an actual kit, that is already fabricated to "fit" my car, they can make any additional custom work they need to... and this same shop was also willing to put an air ride system on my 4wd truck..... so they definitely can do it custom fabricated.... but its just not necessary to do so if you can make a kit where the work is already done.
Most of the time, the custom fabricated job will not be much more than what you would have paid for the kit installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts