Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the batteries in these cars (300s) junk by chance? I've seen several posts referring to dead batteries and I just had to replace mine at 32k miles (out of 36 mos so on my own dime). This is the first battery I've EVER replaced in any of the cars I've owned (several up to 100k) so I'm sure I've been part lucky but also wonder what brand Chrysler put in these things. On the bright side, guy at AutoZone was very nice and helpful, attempted to charge and tested the old one just to make sure it was bad (for free) and got a replacement Duralast Gold for around $75 less than the dealership wanted for the OEM (which I really didn't want to reinstall given the failure moreso that the money difference). Anyone use this replacement by chance?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
If junk lasts 5 years and 48K miles, then yes. But when mine hiccups I'll gladly replace it with a Duralast and never look back.

By the way, exactly how much did Auto Zone want for one?

·
Banned
2,887 Posts
actually I was just talking to JonW about this issue over the weekend.

JonW is a hard core CanBus programmer, and his train of thought on the matter is that something on the CanBus is keeping the computers "Awake" therefore draining power, even after the car is turned off and locked.

something is hanging up the shutdown process and causing battery drain.

I use a high end Kinetik battery, and it can go about 6 hours with the stereo bumping on battery only before it's completely dead, probably close to 10 hours if it is just the canbus system running.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If junk lasts 5 years and 48K miles, then yes. But when mine hiccups I'll gladly replace it with a Duralast and never look back.

By the way, exactly how much did Auto Zone want for one?
Try 3 years and less than 32,000 miles... $155 out the door with tax for the Duralast Gold including their free testing, install and attempt to charge my old one. Very fair IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
ok

It's an ok price for a premium battery with a good warranty, and the Duralast gold is a good one.

My car is heading into its fourth year and still on the stocker. I have left it for two weeks and it started right up. It is driven a lot, but is not a daily car at all.

And with all the electronic complexity it is amazing that any battery can keep up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Replaced mine with the Duralast about six months ago, 3+ years on original. The clerk checked the price 3 times, and said "Man that's the highest price battery we have". They tried to recharge, but it was past that. Was going to go with Diehard, but dont remember why I didnt.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
There was a battery price discussion back a couple of months ago in which someone pointed out that as our batteries are mounted in the trunk they are vented via a piece of tubing plugged on to them. This requires a top cover with a nipple to slip the tube on. For the cold cranking amp rating and physical size requirements this venting system about doubles the cost for us. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
I was planning on getting a Optima Yellow Top - should I be looking into a Duralast Gold instead? Sounds popular...

·
Banned
79 Posts
There was a battery price discussion back a couple of months ago in which someone pointed out that as our batteries are mounted in the trunk they are vented via a piece of tubing plugged on to them. This requires a top cover with a nipple to slip the tube on. For the cold cranking amp rating and physical size requirements this venting system about doubles the cost for us. Oh well.
Nothing was plugged onto my battery when I had it replaced. i didn't see anything to do that with. Should I go out and double check, or is this a "feature" built into the battery itself?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Nothing was plugged onto my battery when I had it replaced. i didn't see anything to do that with. Should I go out and double check, or is this a "feature" built into the battery itself?
You may wish to go double check just for the heck of it. Here's a couple of pix of:
A) The battery vent tube at the top/front of the battery-

B) The battery vent beneath the trunk-

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
scary!

All you people who don't have an original factory battery should check this!

Batteries emit hydrogen gas and contained in a trunk that can easily go KABOOM!

Hence the vent tube. Not to be easily dismissed as unneeded!

·
Banned
79 Posts
Ok, hypothetically (since I'm about to go to work) what if there is no vent tube in the car? Should this be something I could find fairly easily? I'll check later today, but I really don't recall seeing anything laying in the battery area.

·
Registered
185 Posts
never had a problem with my battery no matter how cold it got here untill it cought on fire. Even after the fire it still worked but there was a hole at the top of the battery so i replaced it with the yellow top. But i do lots of highway driving so maby that helps keep the battery charged compared to short drives. Would that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
never had a problem with my battery no matter how cold it got here untill it cought on fire. Even after the fire it still worked but there was a hole at the top of the battery so i replaced it with the yellow top. But i do lots of highway driving so maby that helps keep the battery charged compared to short drives. Would that make a difference?
"Would that make a difference?"

Short drives, of course. It takes a drive of some 15 - 20 miles to replace the amount of charge taken from the battery just to start the car. So those 5 mile jaunts to the mall and back don't get the job done.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Ok, hypothetically (since I'm about to go to work) what if there is no vent tube in the car? Should this be something I could find fairly easily? I'll check later today, but I really don't recall seeing anything laying in the battery area.
Open the trunk, find the tab just forward of the trunk lid latch and lift the spare tire cover. The battery is to the right side of the car with the top fully exposed. The vent tube is at the front of the battery and should be plugged on to a nipple sticking out of the front side of the battery cover. Refer to the pictures posted earlier.

·
Registered
185 Posts
"Would that make a difference?"

Short drives, of course. It takes a drive of some 15 - 20 miles to replace the amount of charge taken from the battery just to start the car. So those 5 mile jaunts to the mall and back don't get the job done.
ohh okay thats why my original battery lasted so long. So the yellow top should be good for a while then.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts