Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something happened over a week ago that I can't explain and was hoping someone could. I'm not very mechanical so forgive my ignorance:

I hadn't driven (or started the engine) on my new 300C in about 7 days. It had been in my garage. I tried to start the car one morning and nothing. The dash lights started flashing and doing all sorts of strange things and then nothing. A whole lotta clicking that would not stop from the engine, even though I had stopped engaging the ignition. AAA was summoned and they charged my battery and the car started. Been OK ever since, about 8 days now. I purchased my 2013 car new, only 26 miles, but the car had been at the dealership lot for about 10 months. Is it possible the battery has been compromised by being relatively idle for that long and has lost its capacity to retain a charge for any length of time even though it's supposed to be new? Is it likely to do the same thing if I don't engage the motor again for a number of days? I'm considering calling AAA back just to get a reading on the battery voltage--I don't trust the dealership to test it. If the voltage is low, I would think the battery should be replaced for free, since I've only put about 1k miles on the car.

Thanks in advance for any input! :1zhelp:

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I suspect a defective battery. I'd have it load tested at a local auto parts store.

It may be you have a draw on the battery in the system. Any aftermarket audio or alarm systems installed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Left the car at the dealer on Sat. and they tested the batt on Mon. Everything check out according to them. Batt was found to be fine. But AAA had checked the batt. and their reading suggested a replacement. Go figure.... The only problem I've had so far is the battery dead after a week of not having driven the car. Which sounds bizarre to me, but oh well...

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Left the car at the dealer on Sat. and they tested the batt on Mon. Everything check out according to them. Batt was found to be fine. But AAA had checked the batt. and their reading suggested a replacement. Go figure.... The only problem I've had so far is the battery dead after a week of not having driven the car. Which sounds bizarre to me, but oh well...
Not "oh well"! I suspect they threw a quick charge on the battery and kicked it back out on the lot. You'll know, in a couple of weeks, when it dies again.

Did they tell you that they did a 'load test'? If not ask them to perform a load test. And be there to witness it. They can do it in the stealership's driveway in a couple of minutes with a handheld tester.

Static measuring of battery voltage is not a valid test of the battery's condition. (8) 'AAA' penlight batteries will show 12 volts on a meter but will fall flat on their face with a descent load applied (like the interior lights of a car when you open the door). Same with a defective car battery. A load test is like turning on all of the lights, flicking on the hazard warning lights, and applying the brakes, and cranking up the stereo, all with the engine not running.

I'd trust the AAA man. He has nothing to gain. The stealership/Chrysler stand to have to replace the battery under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts