Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, went to top up my battery with a automatic charger and at the end of the charge for an error code of dropping below 10V, ( no battery light on dash ) so getting a new battery and was wondering if it was worth getting an agm battery. It Has 800 Cca vs 790, or the cheapest at 730. I have the 364amp 7 speaker system heated seats etc etc. I do a lot of short drives, going to be -30 this week at night. Also wondering if it would extend life of the alternator. Also am getting low voltage code on oil pressure switch wondering if that could be due to a bad battery
any advice appreciated.
Thx

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
IMO, FWIW, especially with a lot of current draw from the sound system and accessories, I would go with the highest CCA battery you can get to fit in the box. You'll also have a slight voltage/current loss between the battery in the trunk and the FCM under the hood......it's one really long cable. I would also think that this would take some of the load off the alternator, as the battery won't be stressed as much under higher loads. I have a 900 CCA battery in my Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee and it even cost less than the stock 790 CCA battery did. I did have to cut the "nub" out of the bottome of the battery box that kept the smaller stock battery from moving around in the box. Next time I need a battery in my LX, I'll be checking to see if I can put a larger one in it too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good to me the more the merrier.
I hooked it up again to charge and didn't get an error code but after a few short trips it was down to 80% so it's definitely getting replaced.Very noticeable difference in the automatic power seat/steering adjustments even with 20% drain. Never knew about the wire it makes a lot of sense thanks for the info. Would you get an AGM battery for the $50 difference ?

·
Registered
Cool-V '05 300c Blondie
217 Posts
My two cents... If the $50 is affordable to you, then by all means. As magnuman said "go with the highest CCA battery you can get to fit in the box" and if you can get one to handle extra duty, and with the extra CCA... it's all the better.

With short trips, it's my practice to put the charger on it every so often. My Dakota gets treated like that... all local, short trips. The battery doesn't get topped off without a good run. Now that may only be true of older vehicles, but it can't hurt. Particularly when the temps are going low... a topped off battery is a happy battery ;-)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My two cents... If the $50 is affordable to you, then by all means. As magnuman said "go with the highest CCA battery you can get to fit in the box" and if you can get one to handle extra duty, and with the extra CCA... it's all the better.

With short trips, it's my practice to put the charger on it every so often. My Dakota gets treated like that... all local, short trips. The battery doesn't get topped off without a good run. Now that may only be true of older vehicles, but it can't hurt. Particularly when the temps are going low... a topped off battery is a happy battery ;-)
Glad you got one. AGM's are suppose to be good.

I second everything Grumpy1 said. I have 25% underdrive crank pulleys on both of my 5.7's and, over time (usually about a year) they definitely need a trickle charge, especially if I do a lot of city stop and go driving. I also have an advanced battery/electrical system tester (Solar BA227) and check them both about once every 4 months or so.....more often when the weather is real cold like it has been lately. I just had to recharge the one in my Jeep other day. It was down to 7XX CCA out of the rated 900 CCA. After charging and stabilization, it was 874 CCA, so it's still in real good shape. Cold weather really adversely affects the state of charge (SOC) of any batteries. My Tesla can loose up to about 25% of it's EPA rated mileage in real cold weather. That's almost 100 miles off of its alleged 396 mile range. A warm battery goes always gives better service. I realize it's really just like the EPA rated miles on internal combustion engine vehicles.....it's all BS. Best I've ever gotten with it is about 350 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have hadan AGM battery in my 300 for three years after the standsrd flooded cell battery shorted out (a plate got dislodged). The AGM has a lot of cranking powerand I'm quite happy with it.
Couldn't find an AGM within 80kms of me so I went for a larger battery 850 cca and 1050a
However I'm still having the dash light illumination dim on an off notably with the stereo on. I have the 7 speaker BA factory 354 amp nothing aftermarket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.