Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Battery Saver Mode= bad alternator

96K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  lingling72206 
#1 · (Edited)
F*CKKKKK my 2012 300 just gave me the "battery saver mode" and then it went away in 5 min, but stereo started "skipping" in disk, USB, and radio. 2 hours after its back to normal.
After some research looks like alternators in all pentastars are crapping out and taking the batteries with em.

Took the car to the dealer this morning and after 2 hrs they did not find any history of the battery saver mode and said that alternator and battery passed with flying colours. Chrysler needs to do a TSB on this as more and more people are having this issue.

#3 ·
What is Battery Saver Mode...never heard of it?

#4 ·
its a message that shows up on the dash when battery voltage drops, to make sure the car starts it will shut down the stereo and other electronics to conserve power. It happens when ether the battery or alternator are bad, considering that this happened while driving the car on the highway at 2000 rpms its the alternator is not charging. For some reason i can't post a link but there are numerous threads on other chysler/dodge forums with people having the same issue even as bad as car shutting down completely and alternator smoking.

#5 ·
My alternator died on my 2011 300C, first symptom was horrible belt noise and loading down of the engine. Brought it to dealer service, they said the fan belt was dry and dressed it. I told them it has to be more then that, of course they said no. A month later same symptoms adding burning odor, this time the car died and of course it was during a blizzard. Waited 4 hours for a tow truck. Final resolution bad alternator was replaced as well as battery.

#8 ·
2011 chrysler 300 alternator/battery bad

2011 Chrysler 300, 3.6L, 2 years and 11 months old. 53k. Whining noise, slight burning smell, doors and trunk not opening properly, not starting on 1st button push, radio, display problems, and warning chimes. Battery saver mode. Replaced dead battery $150. Then problem returned in a few days. Replaced fried alternator; $175 rebuild at local shop. Leather seats cracking. Crappy warranty. The list will probably grow.

#9 ·
Im having same issue now. Car is absolutely dead, even charged the battery it holds power but nothing comes on not ign, dome lights, headlights, alternator began smoking today im looking at this problem is it clear cut? Replace alternator and thats it problem solved? Of course as long as battery is good.

Traction control light came on after issue also can anyone offer any better guidance, images to show removing alternator step by step i just want to ensure spending the time and money this is the issue that ive been reading so much about.

Anyone know the best way to remove this and also is the alternator amperage posted anywhere in the manual, pretty sure they have 3 diff types factory 150-190-225 amps

Please help out here or email jru12347 at msn dot com

#11 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 3.6L. On October 1 at around 28,000 upon starting vehicle in the morning I heard whining noise. As I was pulling out of my garage "battery saver mode" light came on. I drove the vehicle to nearby gas station. The light remained on, my engine seemed like it was under a load. I returned home, opened the hood and noticed burning smell from the engine compartment around the alternator area. Drove the vehicle to dealership (about 2 miles away). Chrysler dealer diagnosed it as defective alternator. It was replaced under warranty. Alternator that was put in was p/n RL801779AG or 04801779AG, 160A Denso alternator. The tag on the alternator states that it is made in Japan.

#13 ·
2013 300c awd

Battery saver mode light on, radio dimming. Brought to Chrysler light wasn't on anymore. They said that it tested fine. They said to call corporate and deal with them. Twenty minutes later after giving the dealer a lechture about that I wasn't going to end up on the side of the road. I will be getting a new alternator and then because I don't have the energy to continue yelling buy a new battery. Bought a lifetime warranty for $4k and it is useless that the mechanics cannot figure out this problem. I will update if I have this problem again after I pickup with a new alternator. Don't just be passive and let the dealer give you they are just the middle man excuse. Fight for your car to be fixed right.

#25 ·
2013 300c awd

Battery saver mode light on, radio dimming. Brought to Chrysler light wasn't on anymore. They said that it tested fine. They said to call corporate and deal with them. Twenty minutes later after giving the dealer a lechture about that I wasn't going to end up on the side of the road. I will be getting a new alternator and then because I don't have the energy to continue yelling buy a new battery. Bought a lifetime warranty for $4k and it is useless that the mechanics cannot figure out this problem. I will update if I have this problem again after I pickup with a new alternator. Don't just be passive and let the dealer give you they are just the middle man excuse. Fight for your car to be fixed right.
I had the same issue and was driving me nuts, after lot of electrical and parasitic testing with few new alternators and a battery, found the problem, was the IBS ( intelligence battery Sensor ) which is connected at the negative post on the negative cable, sensor was bad giving wrong input to the car PCM and not allowing to charge. Hope this helps.

#14 ·
Same problem. 4 days after buying my 2011 300C AWD w/Hemi the battery saver message came on when I was leaving work. As I drove home more and more messages came up as it began turning off features to save power. I made it home (at night no less!) and the car would not restart in my driveway. click click click. I had the dealer tow it in the next morning. They said the alternator went. (53K miles) Replaced and good to go. The Battery saver mode did exactly what it was designed to do by shutting down systems to save power and get me home.

Not happy it happened, but happy how it warned me it was happening.

#17 ·
Just had this exact problem...commented in another post. Battery Saver Mode = bad alternator that then fries your battery and maybe even worse. Glad I have the full warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
Yes!!! Get it checked out right away before the car strands you, and fries something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Mr_300,

We're very sorry to hear of this happening! Are you still experiencing any concerns? We do recommend alerting your nearest servicing dealer of this, if so. If you choose to schedule an appointment at your dealer, please send us a private message for an extra layer of assistance.

Alex
Chrysler Cares

#23 ·
my 2013 chrysler 300s started popping up with the battery saving mode notification.. took it to auto zone and they said it was a bad alternator. we just bought a new one and switched it out and it was working fine but it just started saying battery saving mode again? anyone else still having this issue?