Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a gorgeous, warm sunny spring day today - perfect for the opening of Calabogie Motorsports Park for this year.

Over the past few weeks, we have been getting BBII ready for some quick lapping. We changed out all the fluids in the vehicle and put in a new steering rack. We added Pirelli P Zero 275 40 20's to the back to compliment the P Zero 255 -35 - 20's already on the front.

Sally's daughter, Sarah, came up with me to take some pics.

I turned my back for a minute - then found her sitting in this:

Gotta say - the gal has good taste!

Here is another car that caught her eye:

Here are some pic of BBII (and me) that Sarah took today.

Some of the cars lining up to lap -

BBII waiting to go -

A sequence of BBII coming down the front straight at speed -

On this last shot, we are climbing up over 125 MPH with lots of 'straight track' ahead! :)

Soon after this shot was taken, great clouds of smoke started to billow out behind the car. At the same time my power steering packed in.

fnkychkn (Pete) was behind me in his silver Magnum and thought that my engine had gone!!!:worried:

I came into the pits, followed by a very worried Pete. Turns out that a seal had blown on the power steering pump - spewing fluid over the hot motor and creating the smoke.

Engine was fine and oil temps were very good - never got over 240 degrees F on the track. When we swapped out the steering rack 3 weeks ago, we debated about changing the pump, but it looked okay at the time.

Turns out it too was shot. Sooo - that was the end of my lapping and the drive home was very careful as we had very little power assist.

New pump will be installed on Tuesday.

For the few laps that I did run, I have to say that the P Zero 275's felt great on the back.

Hopefully I'll be back to the track soon.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
Man sorry to here that, got a couple of questions for you if you don't mind. 1. how do the pirellis 1. hold up 2.stick,and 2.why do you run a smaller tire up front . by the tire calc its about and inch smaller? but from the pics i see you have a hell of a nice rake,can you post pics from the side so i can get a better look at her. and thank you for sharing you adventure with us.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Smaller tires up front give more control and offer less weight. On a RWD vehicle, this is what you should aim for.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
With the power steering out of commission, you must have been thankful for the somewhat large diameter of the Chrysler steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Wow-from the header that sounded like a bad thing/ Glad to hear it was a lot less minor than a motor. Still-bet you had a great day.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
Ouch. Another PS failure at the track. It happens a lot.

You may wish to take note that I have many track days on my car without a hiccup, and I changed my PSF out early for an Amsoil product. I also run an additive that *** sells :QuantumBlue Steering System Lubricant Catalyst

I would love to know the temps and such. 240 is low for my car at the track. Sure looked like FUN!!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep - we swapped out all fluids on the car 3 weeks ago with Quantum Blue and used the catalyst for the PS fluid. Also changed out the rack.

What I did not do was replace the old ps pump. It was obviously damaged from metal shavings with the problems from the past 5 years of track use.

Will put a new pump in Tuesday morning and refill with Quantum Blue.

Hopefully this will do it!

I attribute the oil temps to QB engine oil; QB engine coolant; QB tranny fluid - but we need more laps at speed on this very twisty hilly circuit to get a definitive number on oil temps.

If it stays under 250 F I will be very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Sorry to hear about the power steering problem. Glad to hear you had fun. Your car looks great!

·
Administrator
23,427 Posts
With the power steering out of commission, you must have been thankful for the somewhat large diameter of the Chrysler steering wheel.
And the somewhat large diameter of his arms.:biggrin:

Sorry to hear this Pat, but you'll be up and running soon.

Bernie

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
12,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back from another day of lapping at Calabogie.

BBII was awesome!

We solved the power steering problem and the car ran like it was on rails all day.

Never missed a beat and lap times got better and better - even in the rain showers.

This time it was the driver that wore out! :biggrin:

Will post up a report tomorrow with details on the power steering modification.

Probably gonna be a few lads showing up at Chrysler showrooms soon looking to trade in their pricey imported rides . . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts