Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am going completely off a motoring subject and for the purists amongst you I apologise. I just feel that I should open this as a new thread to draw the attention of all and perhaps it will benefit some forum members. Benenden Health Care forms a support to NHS treatment. They provide a range of services but primarily they offer access to private medicine on a limited basis for a very low subscription. I don’t intend to detail their limitations and services here – that can be established at Benenden Healthcare: Home - Benenden Healthcare, not-for-profit, mutual, friendly, Society but from personal experience I can vouch for the fact that what they claim on their website is true. My wife and I joined up somewhat less than 2 years ago now. Having paid a total of around £110 into the society between the two of us my wife (who as many of you know has Multiple Sclerosis) developed a growth on her toe a year ago. This was actually a bone spur from inside the toe and had previously been operated on at an NHS hospital – an experience my wife vowed never to repeat. We contacted Benenden wondering if they could assist us at all. Suffice to say my wife had a meeting with a consultant, x-rays taken, arrangements made for her to be admitted to a private hospital in Glasgow where she was given a general anaesthetic, operated on and received nursing care before being discharged. Throughout we could not have been treated better. Had this been coming out my pocket I would reckon the treatment would have cost me between £500 and £1000 at least.
Now I find that my right knee is giving me a lot of pain. I had a house visit from my GP last week who told me I needed to have a MRI scan and/or an arthroscopy (insertion of a mini camera in the knee to see what is going on) and that both these procedures involved a long wait in the NHS. I contacted Benenden and will be going privately. Now if these procedures establish that I need a new knee joint Benenden will not be involved – but the earlier testing and examination will have pushed me up the queue in the NHS and in any event the problem may well be fixed by keyhole surgery when the procedures are taking place – and that at no cost to me.
Membership of the society is restricted to what might loosely be called the professions but for a personal cost of just over £5 per month why not have a look at their website and see if you qualify http://www.benenden.org.uk/
Again my apologies to the purists amongst you but if this helps one forum member I will be a very happy man.
Cheers John

·
Registered
111 Posts
John,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I was a member of Benenden for 26 years whilst an employee of the GPO and all its iterations until it became BT. When I left BT in '94, I thought, “that it, no more Benenden” but after reading your post and reading their web site I've joined.

Now, I wonder if I can re-join the CSMA?

John

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I am now a happy man. I think anyone reading this thread should realise that this is a worthwhile society to belong to. God know how they do it for the money involved - basically it is the price of 20 ***s or a gallon of petrol a month ................. think about it.
Cheers John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts