Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Irish
2008 Chrysler 300C Touring 3.0CRD (roughly 83'000 miles)
Pads are starting to squeak (telling me they need to be replaced).
Original brakes aren't exactly anything to be desired and considering upgrading over replacing with the same shitty oem parts.
I was thinking it would save money in the long run and increase performance if I were to opt for seriously upgraded the brake system on the CRD.

Will appreciate all views,options and opinions but basically looking the best gains within a reasonable budget.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Best bang for the buck is a good shop to turn your rotors an a set of higher end semi metalic pads change your brake fluid for a synthetic high temp fluid. If rotors need replacement get a set of slotted rotors for an increase in braking efficiency and cooling drilled rotors are a waste of money they may look cool but the drilling can cause uneven cooling then cracking and failure. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Trenton Johnson. I'm defiantly replacing the pads so I will look into the semi metallic pads. Any good brand suggestions? As for the rotors, on inspection they seem to be in good condition,whenever I do replace them it will certainly be an improved version of the already vented rotors or possibly slotted. I know all about the disadvantages of drilled brakes so they are a no go :p I'm looking into EBC brake products. Any experience with them?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi there.
Last year I replaced my discs and pads with EBC Red Stuff pads and Mtec grooved and dimpled discs. Really pleased with the set up, especially with the huge reduction in brake dust build up on the wheels. Also, as suggested, replace the brake fluid as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I hear nothing but good things from EBC pads never tried them but have always used budget semi metallic and order Euro spec pads when ever available because the minimum spec on the EU is higher than north american parts. I will be thinking about EBC because of the brake dust next time I need to do brakes since I will have new shiny wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I've been comparing EBC with Stoptech. For me EBC seems to be slightly more expensive but they look like they are worth it.Anyone have any experience/feedback on the Stoptech rotors + pads. Also another question, Is it really worth getting steel braided brake lines? like i know of the advantages of them and if i had a bike or offroader i would certainly be putting SS Brake lines on but for a car where the brake lines arent really exposed at all,is worth spending the 100 euro??

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Thanks guys. I've been comparing EBC with Stoptech. For me EBC seems to be slightly more expensive but they look like they are worth it.Anyone have any experience/feedback on the Stoptech rotors + pads. Also another question, Is it really worth getting steel braided brake lines? like i know of the advantages of them and if i had a bike or offroader i would certainly be putting SS Brake lines on but for a car where the brake lines arent really exposed at all,is worth spending the 100 euro??
I have had Powerstop Evolution Sport Pads on my car for about 8 months and I am very pleased with them. They are a Carbon Fiber and Ceramic Composition. Quiet, low dust and really good performance. I like them, and I do drive my car in a very spirited way quite often.

As for the rotors you should ask yourself what kind of driving you do. If you do a lot of spirited driving then some upgraded slotted rotors, along with the pads, will be great. If you like to play around occasionally but don't drive it hard a hole lot then stock rotors, or a quality stock style rotor, should be fine. Try just pads first, get your rotors turned, and see how it feels. A good set of pads, correctly bedded in, can make a big difference. You can always get new rotors later, like when the ones you have now wear out.

As for Brake Fluid, flushing it out and replacing it at your mileage is really a good idea. The type you use depends on what type of driving you do. Most cars standard Dot 3 is all you'll need. High Temp Dot 4 attracts water more than Dot 3, or so I've heard, so unless your running the brakes hot a lot, Dot 3 is fine.

Stainless Steel hoses are really more for show. But they do really look good. So do slotted rotors. There is defiantly more than one reason to do some mods.

image hosting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had Powerstop Evolution Sport Pads on my car for about 8 months and I am very pleased with them. They are a Carbon Fiber and Ceramic Composition. Quiet, low dust and really good performance. I like them, and I do drive my car in a very spirited way quite often.

As for the rotors you should ask yourself what kind of driving you do. If you do a lot of spirited driving then some upgraded slotted rotors, along with the pads, will be great. If you like to play around occasionally but don't drive it hard a hole lot then stock rotors, or a quality stock style rotor, should be fine. Try just pads first, get your rotors turned, and see how it feels. A good set of pads, correctly bedded in, can make a big difference. You can always get new rotors later, like when the ones you have now wear out.

As for Brake Fluid, flushing it out and replacing it at your mileage is really a good idea. The type you use depends on what type of driving you do. Most cars standard Dot 3 is all you'll need. High Temp Dot 4 attracts water more than Dot 3, or so I've heard, so unless your running the brakes hot a lot, Dot 3 is fine.

Stainless Steel hoses are really more for show. But they do really look good. So do slotted rotors. There is defiantly more than one reason to do some mods.

image hosting

Great advice Jim910!! Thanks to everyone for your feedback and response. I certainly have a better idea of what i'm going doing with the brakes now.Thanks again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts