Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking into getting shorty headers and later down the road, a srt max plus cam for my 09 srt 300. I understand the gains are minimal for installing just headers only or cam only but which would give me more of a gain in tq/hp, installing the headers first or the cam first? Looking at the jba shorty headers. Not sure if it matters but i'm in Houston, TX. Also planning on getting tune along with the headers/cam, actually thought about getting a tune first, cam second, shorty headers last. Opinions are welcome! Currently at 92.5k miles

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The stock exhaust manifolds on the srt are "shorty headers".Save your money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i've been trying to do some research and i've read that they are pretty good, but you don't think an aftermarket header would flow better than the stock? Reason I don't want to go long tubes are because of the clearance issues and I don't want to lose low end tq. Thanks for the quick reply

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
Nope, I don't think any aftermarket shorty will be any better than the stock manifolds on the SRT. The swap I see the most is long tubes but not shorty for shorty.

Save the money for other mods, like the cam.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I don't think any aftermarket shorty will be any better than the stock manifolds on the SRT. The swap I see the most is long tubes but not shorty for shorty.

Okay cool thanks for the reply, i'll probably just save the money then. Not really interested in long tubes so i'll just invest in the cam & tune for now. Is the diablo tuner worthy with that cam & tune or is should I hold off on that too?

·
Administrator
19,620 Posts
I'd say Yes to the programmer, even for a stock engine. Once you do the cam you can have a custom tune done and use the same programmer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd say Yes to the programmer, even for a stock engine. Once you do the cam you can have a custom tune done and use the same programmer.

Good look Maddog! Thanks for the tips. ✊?

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
The stock exhaust manifolds on the srt are "shorty headers".Save your money.
^ This 100%!

Yeah i've been trying to do some research and i've read that they are pretty good, but you don't think an aftermarket header would flow better than the stock? Reason I don't want to go long tubes are because of the clearance issues and I don't want to lose low end tq. Thanks for the quick reply
Save the money for a better mod!

^ This 150%

Okay cool thanks for the reply, i'll probably just save the money then. Not really interested in long tubes so i'll just invest in the cam & tune for now. Is the diablo tuner worthy with that cam & tune or is should I hold off on that too?
No other way you want to tune a hemi... Diablosport is a necessity if you want to advance your motor further.

^ This 200%

Man I keep going up 50% at a time... ::wink::

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Maddog, quick question, not that gas is an issue(already spend $120 on gas a week because of my driving habits and runs in mexico) but how much of a hit would I take on gas mileage with the srt max plus cam? I average about 12/13mpg with stock, realistically i'm thinking it'll drop to 10mpg

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Hey Maddog, quick question, not that gas is an issue(already spend $120 on gas a week because of my driving habits and runs in mexico) but how much of a hit would I take on gas mileage with the srt max plus cam? I average about 12/13mpg with stock, realistically i'm thinking it'll drop to 10mpg
Not too bad... In fact some say it will get better... Fuel mileage can be a byproduct of hp increase as the motor is not working as hard to do the same duty. I actually went up 2-3mpg when I went cam only with a sidewinder... However the power is fun so you find that the loud pedal gets used more thus lowering economy... If you are only seeing 12/13 stock then I wouldn't think it's going to make much difference as you clearly use it! Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha That makes sense, plus with a tune if it didn't get better/worse, it should even right out with what i'm curently getting as far as smiles per gallons goes. ? I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting this cam installed but i'm a capricorn so I analyize things to the T so all i'm waiting on at this point is a shop and tuner I can trust that will do it right the first time. I'm at 93k miles so I wanna get her in the candy shop as soon as I can before i keep rackin up the miles and the engine goes boom.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
Hahaha That makes sense, plus with a tune if it didn't get better/worse, it should even right out with what i'm curently getting as far as smiles per gallons goes. ? I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting this cam installed but i'm a capricorn so I analyize things to the T so all i'm waiting on at this point is a shop and tuner I can trust that will do it right the first time. I'm at 93k miles so I wanna get her in the candy shop as soon as I can before i keep rackin up the miles and the engine goes boom.
Looooots of life left yet pal... ::wink::

But still get on with it... your wallet won't like you but you won't care the first time you hit the carpet with the throttle! ::biggrin::

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't wait! Def will upload vids when it's done. Thanks for the response bro!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts