Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy new tires for my CSRT8. What's most important to me is a tire that gets the best traction in the rain. Living in Seattle the pavement is wet a lot more often then it is dry. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
The Tooyo Proxes 4 is a good all-around tire choice. The tread pattern looks very channeling - if that's even a word to descirbe it. The Vredesteins look like they would funnel away rain pretty good, but it doesn't look like they have much snow capability if that matters to you.

Eric

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure they're the "best rain tire" but I will second that the Proxes4 are good in the wet stuff - at least when new. I replaced F1s with Proxes late March and then got caught in light snow/slush/rain on a trip north shortly after. The Proxes were able to handle a few inches of the slushy stuff without being all over the place at speeds up to 55 mph. In just wet weather no problems at all. I normally run snows in the winter (haven't had to with the CSRT yet) and the Proxes are not winter tires but served me well in a pinch.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I have been running the Toyo Proxes ST 255/45/20 tires for about 23k miles and they are terrible in the rain. My next tire will not be a Toyo.
I have decided to try the Kumho Ecsta ASX tire for my next tire.
Kumho Ecsta ASX

The best rain tire is probably the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tire.
But they are expensive.
PIRELLI - CATALOGO CAR - Scorpion ICE&SNOW

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
???

The only thing I can assure you is that the Toyos are waaaayyyyy better in the rain than stock Goodyear RSA's!

I love 'em and they're cheap as heck. The way I toast tires they're going to be on my car again soon!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Toyo Proxes 4 are great in rain, and we had 72 inches of rain last year in south Texas.

275/40/20 all the way around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone! 275/40/20 Toyo Proxes 4 all the way around seems to be the best choice for me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I've had rsa's, f1's, toyo proxes 4 and now vredesteins. For the rain I will say vredestein 1st and toyo is a very very close second. The other 2 tires are so far behind in that category it's not fair to compare.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought two Toyo Proxes 4 tires for the rear ( 275/40/20 ) and had the F1s that were on the back switched to the front. I had the infamous outer wear problem and the scary as all get out shudder at 80mph. After seeing the Toyos, I can't wait for my front tires to wear out because I love the aggressive looking tread on the Toyos. I think I am going to stick with the 245s for the staggered look. Do any of you have problems with rubbing with the 275s?

Robert

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Honestly I can't speak for the Toyos. I decided on the Nitto INVOS for this very reason, wet driving in Seattle. So far I'm very impressed with the performance.
Everyone told me to get the Toyos when I got the Nittos. In either case I think your still better than the F1s. I would buy these Nittos again, I'm very impressed with them in the rain.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I just bought two Toyo Proxes 4 tires for the rear ( 275/40/20 ) and had the F1s that were on the back switched to the front. I had the infamous outer wear problem and the scary as all get out shudder at 80mph. After seeing the Toyos, I can't wait for my front tires to wear out because I love the aggressive looking tread on the Toyos. I think I am going to stick with the 245s for the staggered look. Do any of you have problems with rubbing with the 275s?

Robert
Be sure to have the tires road force balanced and get your alignment done at the best shop in town. It's money well spent and the only way to completely solve both of those problems. Good luck.

Eric

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Eric. I am actually going to take the car to the dealer to get it aligned. I live in a small town and, unfortunately, I don't think any of the stores can align anything. Heck, there was only one place here that would mount and balance a 20 inch tire. I would hate to see what they would say if I decide to step up to 22s but that would be a huge waste of money here because our roads suck and I would be continually either repairing or replacing the wheels, not to mention the chiropractic bills.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
I hear that about the huge but thin tires.

I hope your dealer can align and balance your tries properly, I unfortuantely have my doubts. Where do you live?

Eric

·
Registered
29 Posts
I up in a small town in northeast Iowa. Soon relocating to Dallas, TX where the roads don't take the beating of long winters and grain trucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts