Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thin plastic chrome-colored piece that surrounds the shifter decided to pop loose and the similar piece just under the gear shift knob also loosened up and is now at the bottom on the shifter. Is it possible the adhesive just doesn’t hold up to the summer heat? What would you suggest for the repair?

bruno

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
bruno said:
The thin plastic chrome-colored piece that surrounds the shifter decided to pop loose and the similar piece just under the gear shift knob also loosened up and is now at the bottom on the shifter. Is it possible the adhesive just doesn’t hold up to the summer heat? What would you suggest for the repair?

bruno
Are you talking about the one out-lining the shift slot? If so, that one is removable AFAIK and is held down by just a couple of plastic tabs. You should be able to snap it back in... unless a tab broke. No ideas about the ring around the shifter shaft. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
bruno said:

bruno
Are you speaking of that conical-shaped chromed plastic lower portion of the gearshift knob itself? If so, I have a spare one and I tried to pull-off that particular portion from the bottom of the gearshift knob, but it won't budge. I'm sure that it's either snapped-in and/or glued in place. Trust me, if the heat affects something on our cars, I'd probably be the first to know of it...since the summers hear average between 110 - 120 degrees.

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goofy Tim,
The way it now slides around makes me think it's an adhesive issue because I don't see or feel any tabs.

Mr. DJ,
I have pulled that piece up several times and cannot feel it locking into place so I'm thinking it must be attached by adhesive. Maybe I should just let the dealer repair it next time I'm there. And lol, you are correct about heat releated car issues. My high temp. for summer days must be your summer desert lows! Whatever you do though, don't leave those peanut butter cookies in your car!

bruno

·
Registered
750 Posts
Re: Bezels have come loose

Don't ya hate when that happens. Every morning as I get dressed I check my bezels* are still attached.

The rectangular surround around the gear selector panel, is apparently a press fit.

I pulled mine out, because I was thinking a matt silver or carbon fibre finish would be more suitable for the SRT8. If I did this I would would box the original and have the new finish put on one from a wrecking yard.

I have a feeling that the trim on the gearknob should be warrantied by your dealer.

2C

Zilla

*Reference to the James Bond movie "On Her Majesty's Sevice" . Bond as Sir Hillary Bray refers to his family coat of arms bearing four bezants and three gold balls. In the movie watch closely and you'll see that Lazenby is actually saying three bezants (which is correct), but somewhere along the line the actual dialogue was changed to four bezants. He implies the extra ball may come in handy. See HERE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts