Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone located a reasonably priced source for the Billet Catch Can in Ontario Canada?

I was considering ordering it directly from Billet Technologies but want to avoid the Brokerage Charges at the border (not import duties). Because the unit is manufactured in the US, there should be no import duties, just Brokerage Charges.

Suggestions appreciated

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion.

I live just north of Toronto and it would be about 2 hours to travel to Buffalo. Add the drive time, fuel, arrangments for a "delivery box" and the need to still risk trying to get accross the boarder myself without going through the Broker (or doing the broker paperwork myself).

Still a royal pain ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
See if BT will ship via United States Postal service. It can't be a very big package and if they put the custom form on it then you just pay duties. Often they don't even bother charging that and if they did then you simply pay it when you go to the post office in Canada to pick it up (or they may leave a bill on the door -depends on postal service).
It's usually only UPS that rips us off by charging a brokerage fee.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion ... may go that route.

I have a email exchange started with BT to consider options and when they eventually call to discuss, we will discuss the "Postal" option.

I have painfully found that Borkerage Fees get applied at randon, depending on the Courier and if it is over $50 ... and they charge $40 and up for brokerage fees. It feels like the Courier company own shares in the Brokerage company.

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
That may be true but they are all in contact with the government as well...because the government requires it!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Maddog, not sure I understood your comment and I may be missing something, or I could be a little slower than normal this morning.

I have no issue with reasonably priced courier or postal service.
I have no issue with paying Canadian tax due (HST 13% for Ontario).
I have no issue with duty when applicable, but in this case there should be no duty.
I have an issue with brokerage firms applying $40-$100 administrative fee (Min. $40 or xx% value based on which ever is higher) for doing nothing more than completing a single page of paper / or filling a few entries on a computer web page from their iPAD as they roam through the packages. They seem to apply their selective wisdom on most things over $50, depending on how busy they are. When purchasing something for $50 1 day and no brokerage and then the next day the same $50 item costs $50 borkerage which the courier company is trying to collect. Just had some bad experiences.

Regardless, I may just "suck it up" and pull the trigger. At least health care is reasonable.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Unless something has changed recently, I agree with zbeest, in that if you can get them to ship USPS you will have your best chance of NOT paying brokerage. CanadaPost typically doesn't get you. With USPS it is almost a guarantee that they will ding you.

Happy I live relatively close to the border and can go get my stuff from a parcel depot in the US. If it wasn't the case I would have definitely spent a lot more money in the past, or simply would not have bought certain things.

Maybe one day us Canadians can buy stuff for a similar price to our US counterparts....HAHAHA

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BT gave me a contact (reseller) here in Ontario. Interestingly, 10 minutes down the street.

Next step, check to see what they charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts