Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I've had a couple of queries from members as to where I got the ram air hood.

It is from APM Automotive, who do their own manufacturing in Brandon, South Dakota. This is from their own information:
Many of our ram air hoods are constructed of hand-laid fiberglass, using high quality "ISO resin" to give you the best possible quality in a fiberglass hood. It comes with a smooth gel-coat finish, on both top and underside surfaces.
All hinge and latch mountings are reinforced with steel plates. All bolt holes are pre-drilled and tapped for easy installation. To install these hoods, all you need to do is transfer your stock hardware onto it and bolt it on to the factory hinges for final alignment.
ISO resins are a higher quality, low shrink resin that allows the part to withstand more heat and prevent distortion.
I can tell you this - the quality of this hood is outstanding! The finish just needed scuffing and painting and the fit was excellent. The hood is a few pounds heavier than the OEM aluminium hood - so your hood struts may not hold it up. I am looking for new struts as my 4 yr old ones can't hold it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Man, is it okay to post in this thread if you're NOT a moderator or admin, lol???? :)

The car is gorgeous bro! Totally lovin it! You and I have a very similar taste. A clean, OEM yet aftermarket look. I'll be honest, I don't like a "scooped" hood on 300's....they just REALLY look out of place. But on your car, for some reason, that thing looks sexy as hell dude!!!! Again, kudos to you on a super-clean finish!!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Man, is it okay to post in this thread if you're NOT a moderator or admin, lol???? :)

The car is gorgeous bro! Totally lovin it! You and I have a very similar taste. A clean, OEM yet aftermarket look. I'll be honest, I don't like a "scooped" hood on 300's....they just REALLY look out of place. But on your car, for some reason, that thing looks sexy as hell dude!!!! Again, kudos to you on a super-clean finish!!
Yeah - you can post here - lol :biggrin:

You have a very nice stable of great machines, SRTLUVR.

Thanks for the kudos - and I agree - the 300C was never intended to have scoops. But I had a problem - the car goes on road circuits a few times per year to lap against other "sporty" cars - and more than holds it's own. But I was suffering from heat build up - engine oil; power steering; and it was cutting my lapping time (and fun) short.

I tried louvering the hood; it helped some; but not enough - and looked like hell. so we reworked the underside aerodynamics a bit to force more air through the rad and used the APM Ram Air hood to get cold air to the intake and also to extract the hot air out from the back of the hood. Now I have a hot windshield - lol!

I can't get on the tracks here as they are closed for the winter, but in moderate to low speed tests at high revs (+ 4,000 rpm for 20 minutes at a stretch, the engine oil only climbed to about 230 degrees and stayed there. So - here's hoping it will do the job the next time we go into combat with the Porsches, Bimmers, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice look NR, I never saw a scoop looking good on a 300, but it looks great. On top of it, the scoop will be functional at the track. I know this is off topic but what suspension mods. do you have that no one can see?

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Nice look NR, I never saw a scoop looking good on a 300, but it looks great. On top of it, the scoop will be functional at the track. I know this is off topic but what suspension mods. do you have that no one can see?
Ahh . . . you want to know my Top Secret mods???

Well ok - since you asked - here goes:

Bone stock motor and transmission - with a Diablo Predator (using the 93 Octane tune); and an AirHammer CAI.

Corsa cat-back exhaust system

Quaife Limited slip differential so I can turn off the ESP, to allow some drifting as needed and fast exits out of corners.

Bone stock shocks and springs and steering..

Recently replaced all bushings with Peddars bushings (the oem ones were wearing out making the suspension sloppy and noisy) - best mod I have ever done. :)

Stock brakes with hybrid pads (ok for street and track).

That's it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well thanks dude. I appreciate it. But your 300 is SICK DUDE!!

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Imagine being the driver of a Mini Cooper or other toy car on the track and having NR on your tail. Talk about intimidating!

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Imagine being the driver of a Mini Cooper or other toy car on the track and having NR on your tail. Talk about intimidating!
So true!

Let me share with you a little 'incident' that happened in expressway traffic, last week. I was on my commute home from the office and was moving along in the left lane, with the traffic, minding my own business.

I see this Audi TT weaving dangerously through the slower right hand lanes behind me. The Audi dives over 2 lanes, cutting off other drivers - then dives in front of BBII, forcing me to brake or hit him. I brake. I have seen this bozo before, always driving stupidly in the rush hour traffic.

With the TT in front of me, the traffic in the fast lane thins out. So - the Audi speeds up. I plant BBII about 2 feet off of his bumper and stay there, silently.

I guess the TT pilot never looked in his rear view mirror until a ways along - by then he was up to over 75 mph. Then he looked up at his mirror, which was filled entirely with hood scoop and black grille. He quickly swerved over right to the next lane - and then floored the gas.

I nudged the throttle and passed his 'sports car' as if he was standing still - (while giving him the digital salute) . . . :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,202 Posts
I like the way you handled that. I would have done the same thing.

It's one thing to grab the fast lane and speed along, but weaving in and out of slow traffic is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I saw a black 300 in town awhile ago coming at me with that hood. I quickly came onto this forum to see if anybody else had that hood and saw yours and one other one. Beautiful!!!
So I ordered one, and today it is finally painted & installed on my bright silver 300C! My question is, did you ever find hood struts that will hold up the hood? Mine is a 2005 and they will not hold the hood's weight. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
How have I not seen these? Much better than that louvre thing. Tell your contact to sign up as a vendor and make about 20 of those to start off.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Looks sweet Pat . Never saw this thread . Very clean on your ride . Enjoy the latest incarnation of your well traveled beauty .

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
How have I not seen these? Much better than that louvre thing. Tell your contact to sign up as a vendor and make about 20 of those to start off.
Definitely a big improvement. Cools the engine bay much better, as well.

Looks sweet Pat . Never saw this thread . Very clean on your ride . Enjoy the latest incarnation of your well traveled beauty .
Thanks for the props, Mike.

I saw a black 300 in town awhile ago coming at me with that hood. I quickly came onto this forum to see if anybody else had that hood and saw yours and one other one. Beautiful!!!
So I ordered one, and today it is finally painted & installed on my bright silver 300C! My question is, did you ever find hood struts that will hold up the hood? Mine is a 2005 and they will not hold the hood's weight. Thanks for any help you can give me!!
I was just writing up an answer for you when I saw that you found a solution that you posted in another thread.

Your hood looks nice on your ride, too ( of course, I'm biased!)

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I'm welcoming myself into last year with this thread :D Your ride is absolutely SICK I have to say!!! Love the blacked out look with a little muscle thrown in for good measure. Phenominal.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts