Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Told you, nobody could tell if its tape unless you tell them.Great job!Cant believe I f**ked mine up when i was using it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can imagine yours looks better up close though..

i have some bubbles b/c i was impatient. and the ends are kinda hairy b/c there's no way to get a good fit around the rounded edges..

all in all though im glad this mod only cost me like $10 and it still looks half way decent.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Up close mine dont look to good either but like you I am happy with the results and thats what counts in the end.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
looks great man. ive used trimbrite before on my maxima, but the strip was very thing, more thin than a strip of scotch tape. did you find a wider strip for the bottom trip? or did you just use 2 pieces?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks good!! I've been contemplating doing the same thing, in the event I want to go back to the chrome look. If I may make a suggestion for anyone wanting to mess with the tape, spray the area with a mild soapy solution first, (so the tape won't stick right off the bat and you can position it better), then use a rubber body squeegee to squeegee the water and air bubbles out. :smoker:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dave, good advice.. personally i don't think thats necessary.. it's pretty easy to just keep readjusting the tape after u already stuck it on..

for anyone who is going to use trimbrite blackout tape, here's some tips...

eye ball measure the length you need for one length of trim.. take the "measured" length of tape and slowly peel the backing away from the tape.. if you pull too fast, the backing and tape will not separate completely and u will be left with patches of backing on the tape that is a PITA to get off. (this is kinda like when you pull lined paper out of a notebook too fast and it doesn't come off cleanly)

ok now that you have the length of tape separated from its backing.. hold each end of the of the tape and keep it taught. line up the length of the tape perpendicular to the top of the trim and ensure that you have it lined up straight to the trim. i dont know if u get what im saying.. but if u need clarification, lemme know. next.. while continuing to hold the length of the tape taught, place the entire length of the tape on to the chrome. it is important you keep it taught while placing it against the chrome so you dont get any creases, wrinkles, or bubbles.. once it is all placed down you can then use your thumb or whatever to press to the tape down.

this mod is kinda of hard to explain, but is pretty self explanatory when you actually are doing it.

if u have any questions lemme know, and my bad on the sorry attempt to make a set of instructions! :pat:

ps. frankieo .. im getting my windows blacked out (5%) in precisely 7 hours and 45 minutes.. ill post pics when i get home tomorrow

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks great man. ive used trimbrite before on my maxima, but the strip was very thing, more thin than a strip of scotch tape. did you find a wider strip for the bottom trip? or did you just use 2 pieces?
actually the tape was wider than needed.. worked out perfectly thought..

the only difficult part about this whole install was trying to "wrap" the tape around the end of the moldings.. especially the rounded ends of the moldings..

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
5% Thats great like I said on plenty of other threads I wish I can go that dark but with the cops out here in NYC I would be pulled over every day.Had a problem with 20%.took it off to put 35% and no more problems.Cant wait to see some pics of your ride with the tint.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does anyone know if you could just remove the UPPER chrome window trim w/o having to replace it or paint it? Can you just take it off w/o experiencing problems with noise or the outside elements?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Does anyone know if you could just remove the UPPER chrome window trim w/o having to replace it or paint it? Can you just take it off w/o experiencing problems with noise or the outside elements?
yeah you can remove the upper trim. the base and touring models dont have them, so its painted underneath.

and murdered you were right, of course, the tape is nice and wide. i guess i cut it into smaller strips when i used it for my maxima, i dont remember at all. i couldnt find it at either autozone i checked, i had to get it at RS Strauss.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Well when I removed my chrome thier was holes under the trim, didnt look good at all.
Frankieo, or anybody, how do you remove the window trim? I see the one bolt by the door handle, but what is the rest of the story?

Thanks in advance,

Moose.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Frankieo, or anybody, how do you remove the window trim? I see the one bolt by the door handle, but what is the rest of the story?

Thanks in advance,

Moose.
hey moose. I'm pretty sure frankieo has a thread about it. Try searching his name

1 - 19 of 19 Posts