Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to admit, one of the things that excited me most about my 300C was the integrated communications courtesy of uConnect. I've been a Bluetooth phone fan since the beginning, and feel at last vindicated by its availability in one of the coolest cars on the market (IMHO).

That said, I have a couple complaints/suggestions that I hope D-C might eventually get around to fixing, since it's a software thing for the most part.

I'm no NBA center at 6'1", but with my pilot's seat in its rightful place, I simply cannot reach the uConnect button on the rear view without a big lean forward...far from the convenience and safety that are the fundamental themes of the whole system.

For a car with so much functionality built into its steering wheel, some of it relatively useless, why is there no way to activate uConnect from the wheel? I am presently considering having a surrogate button located in a more ergonomically sensible location, but would prefer not having to tinker.

There you have it. :confused:

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Wow, you cannot reach the rear view mirror from your seating position? That is hard to believe? What are you 6'1" with 4'9" arms or something? :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
4'9" arms? Those are really long arms! LOL

Reactions: KennyG228

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, fellas, according to the limb:body size ratios I am well within the norm for a 6'1" guy with a 34" inseam. Dunno. It's just a bit of a reach, I can do it, mind you, it's just a distrction. Can't we all just agree it should be on the wheel???

peace

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree it should be on the wheel, but I bet it was a lot less expensive to have two different mirrors made, then 2 different steering wheels. $$$ is usually a factor in ergonomics. What works best, AND is cheap . . .

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bluetooth and UConnect

are the technological advances in the 300C this year other than the hemi.

Bluetooth is simply a committee-agreed upon protocol for wireless merging and pairing of electronic devices into the UConnect which is a "receiver" of such signals. For the most part, we'll be using cell phones.

You need a cell phone capable of Bluetooth operation PLUS a phone service which supports that capability. The pairing guidance given in that huge ol' manual is decent and works as given, so just follow it.

What cell phones are Bluetooth enabled? Well, you got to search for one, but the Sony Ericsson 600 line seems mostly to be so enabled. I purchased two T616 models for $99.99 each from Best Buy last week. My cell provider is Cingular who does support Bluetooth now. The beauty of the Best Buy sale is that there was a $100 rebate per phone, thus making them free eventually. I believe that sale was due to end on 5/15/04 (TODAY) but I'd check them out anyway if later because they always seem to offer some kind of deal.

With these phones, my wife and I can enter the car with a conversation going, the car recognizes and accepts them both by priority (which you assign in setting up). The conversation is them converted to hands free, mutes the NAV/stereo system, and you can continue your conversation. Only one phone at a time, up to 7 different ones, can be handled by UConnect.

Anyone need any further info, just yell and I'll attempt to provide the answer.

This is a great system but unlike OnStar in GM products, it does NOT offer satellite location of stolen autos in conjunction with the phone and NAV operation. IMO, not a problem. The hands free operation and movement into and out of the car with a continuing conversation is well worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Miles, I just came from my local cell kiosk in the mall and found out that they do have Bluetooth phones but I sure don't like the price. I will have to contact the main office to find out if I can switch phones as I am on a contract.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mike --

Look around, there's always a sale on somewhere. Buying from the provider might not be the best way to get that discount, though.

BTW, I forgot to include the following info about UConnect and the mirror in this car.

That is -- be sure to pull the mirror assembly down from the headliner/overhead console. Mine was flush with them when delivered. The mike is on the top of the mirror and needs some space to "hear" one speak to it. At least a 1/2 inch will do it, but not less. It also gives someone about my size (70 inches, 165 lbs.) a better look to the rear due to the lower view angle. The mirror can still be leveled properly for good (and better, for me)rear vision.

This mirror is on a link which permits it to come down and rearward a bit toward the driver. That should gain the space needed and make it a bit easier to reach the "GO" button for on and off. It's tight, just pull downward carefully.

·
Registered
365 Posts
UConnect Button Accessibility

Try relocating the mirror. It has a link on it which permits it to be pulled downward and slightly rearward. This is so the mike for the phone on top is clear of the headliner and overhead console. There should be at least a 1/2 inch clear; otherwise, the mike will not "hear" your speech properly.

It will also give you a better rear view by lowering the angle of sight and bring it a bit closer to you. Perhaps you could also sit a bit more erect. I'm 70 inches, 165 lbs and have no trouble reaching the mirror without unduly stretching. But i do like an erect seating position and love these chair heighth seats. Much more relaxing and better control/vision than with the previous LH models.

·
Registered
11 Posts
UConnect for Audio

I was thinking today what other things the UConnect system might be useful for, and an idea popped into my head:

-Aftermarket CD changers or File Storing Devices could transmit a Bluetooth signal so your music wouldn't lose quality

Now, I'm not too sure of how well it would actually sound or how reliable it could be, but I thought it was a pretty clever idea. :)

Maybe there could also be a device that allows you to "call" a nearby 300C so you can talk without the inconvenience of rolling down your window. :D

Any other ideas for how the system could be used?

·
Registered
365 Posts
There is a physical limitation of 33 feet built into this device currently. And like most electronic devices, that's probably optomistic. But if there is any Bluetooth-enabled device available, it probably could be paired otherwise. Talking to another 300C is now quite possible by using the cell phone to call another so-equipped car. But you'd have to know the number. The duration of the call would only be as good as the cell reception area through which you were traveling. It would be more reliable if, for example, both cars were going in the same direction so they would remain generally in the same cell.

PDA's are another device, for example, that should work. Same for some laptops. My Sony Ericsson T-616 cell phone is very similar to a PDA in that it has internet access, direct wireless to my computer using Sony's provided s/w, plus a camera which takes both stills and movies.

So, within that physical limitation of distance, most near anything may work so long as they are Bluetooth enabled. It is a very interesting system. No reason that the future shouldn't see more variables in its use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Silver FYI

FYI the silver paint that sparkles so nicely is made in the USA by a company call Toyal America Inc. Joliet Illinois. They make al metallics for Chrysler. The mettalics in the silver is called TCR-3010. The TCR stand for Toyal circulation resistant. This is a very thick durable aluminum flake that wont disfigure during the paint process. Most metallics are thin and the particles shatter while being forced through the various bends in the paint system piping. Thats why most refinish metallic paints differ in color when applied. I work at this company and I ordered a silver 300C. PPG in Canada is the supplier of this paint.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
magnesium said:
I simply cannot reach the uConnect button on the rear view without a big lean forward...far from the convenience and safety that are the fundamental themes of the whole system.

Michael
Now I agree with you Michael (Magnesium). The mirror is too far away! I have never had to lean forward to adjust the rear view mirror in any car or the others I own. I thought you were just riding with the seat extremely far back. That is ridiculous!

However, I will check out the the adjustability like mileshoover has posted. thanks mileshoover!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Hemiman,
I ordered my 300C in the Deep Lava Red. I know that this is the only Chrysler color that they charge extra for. Why? Also have you seen a 300C in this color? What is your impression of the color?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The deep lava red is a (pearl) mica finish and not metalic. The mica is very expensive to process and thats why its a premium charge paint color. The only problem with this is that if you need to refinish inthe event of a mishap it is very hard to blend with the rest of the car. Thats why its easy to see when a pearl paint job has been repaired. otherwise its a wonderful color. Just be careful to prevent damage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 300C color is Deep Lava Red 'Metallic' not pearl. Why do you say it's not metallic when it says so in the color name. Also 'Pearl', is mentioned in the other color names as follows:
Magnesium Pearl Coat /Satin Jade Pearl coat/Brilliiant Black Crystal Pearl Coat/Midnight Blue Pearl Coat. Are you saying that these colors are not mica finishes when they say 'pearl' which seems to contridict your last post. I'm not trying to be difficult. Please clarify.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My bad, It is metallic. Then why a premium price for metallic red? usually only pearls cost a fair premium over standard metallics. Guess I should ask PPG why the lava red is more dough. Again very sorry for the mistake.

1 - 20 of 415 Posts