Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like all of us with an iPod, we are waiting for a way to stream clear audio into the factory head.

Many of our cars are equipped with Bluetooth. Can someone tell me if there is a way to stream audio with an iPod Bluetooth adapter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
to stream music BT adapter must be version 1.2. I have not looked at it but since UConnect is old i doubt it is 1.2 since 1.2 is fairly new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
AMGhunter said:
Like all of us with an iPod, we are waiting for a way to stream clear audio into the factory head.

Many of our cars are equipped with Bluetooth. Can someone tell me if there is a way to stream audio with an iPod Bluetooth adapter?

in russia i bought a radio transmitter which u plug in the car select the wave and its done
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
AMGhunter said:
Can someone tell me if there is a way to stream audio with an iPod Bluetooth adapter?
Even if you could stream it, I very much doubt that Johnson Controls will give you a large dynamic range stereo BT input to the uconnect, when the system was designed to use a low bandwidth (voice) mono cellphone. In other words, if it did work, it would propobably sound like an AM radio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
300carm said:
in russia i bought a radio transmitter which u plug in the car select the wave and its done
yeh 300carm many of us have been down the FM transmitter road and the sound quality just plain sucks compared to a dock connector or even an aux RCA input via the ipod headphone jack for that matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
To stream audio via BT, there are 3 different profiles.

One BT profile is for Headsets and the UConnect supports this fine, the problem is that most phones don't support sending music over this type of connection since 1) It's not designed for it and 2) It sounds like... well, you know...

The second BT profile is for Handsfree devices. I think the UConnect supports this as well and more phones do support audio over this profile, but you still have the same problems as above.

The 3rd BT profile is called A2DP and is designed specifically for stereo audio streaming. This profile is not supported by UConnect, but is probably the only one that would sound halfway decent. Really, until we get to BT 2.0+EDR, the data rate is just not sufficient to stream "high quality" stereo audio. I suspect it's at least 2 model years before you see BT 2.0+EDR and A2DP support in a factory kit from any manufacturer, let alone Chrysler.

As for an iPod solution, Peripheral has 2 different solutions, one for the standard radio and one for the Nav radio. They are both wired, but it's one single wire (dock connector) for power, control, and audio. They will both allow you to browse the iPod's contents (or so they say) from the radio. The Nav version will probably be a little nicer and is supposed to be in stock in the next 2 weeks. The standard version is already available, I think. Check out Peripheral's website. Pac audio has something similar also. Do a little searching, there's some talk about it on the forums. Also, JonW will soon have his solution available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
mcharkowski said:
To stream audio via BT, there are 3 different profiles.

One BT profile is for Headsets and the UConnect supports this fine, the problem is that most phones don't support sending music over this type of connection since 1) It's not designed for it and 2) It sounds like... well, you know...

The second BT profile is for Handsfree devices. I think the UConnect supports this as well and more phones do support audio over this profile, but you still have the same problems as above.

The 3rd BT profile is called A2DP and is designed specifically for stereo audio streaming. This profile is not supported by UConnect, but is probably the only one that would sound halfway decent. Really, until we get to BT 2.0+EDR, the data rate is just not sufficient to stream "high quality" stereo audio. I suspect it's at least 2 model years before you see BT 2.0+EDR and A2DP support in a factory kit from any manufacturer, let alone Chrysler.

As for an iPod solution, Peripheral has 2 different solutions, one for the standard radio and one for the Nav radio. They are both wired, but it's one single wire (dock connector) for power, control, and audio. They will both allow you to browse the iPod's contents (or so they say) from the radio. The Nav version will probably be a little nicer and is supposed to be in stock in the next 2 weeks. The standard version is already available, I think. Check out Peripheral's website. Pac audio has something similar also. Do a little searching, there's some talk about it on the forums. Also, JonW will soon have his solution available.
Great post, two additions.

- The A2DP profile is one that uses rather a lot of power, so even if it would work, it would drain the battery of the iPod rather fast.
- And I got a Belkin FM link thingy and the quality is actually better then most FM stations I can receive.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top