Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW and Mercedes is a more Solid build cars in my opinion. Solid built meaning the body and the interior on the BMW or Mercedes is more stronger and well built then the SRT8 or 300cs imo. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
651 Posts
and your bringing this point up why? are you trying to insult us?

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Then why do you own a 300c? All of the 300s are more 'solid' than you think. These cars take a beating, especially from our spirited members who hit the track quite often, and are still just as 'solid' as the day they were driven off the lot. Besides, there are many expensive vehicles that are even more 'solid' than BMWs and Mercedes.

bruno

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I'm not sad

BMW and Mercedes is a more Solid build cars in my opinion. Solid built meaning the body and the interior on the BMW or Mercedes is more stronger and well built then the SRT8 or 300cs imo. What do you guys think?
I paid 27 grand for my brand new 300c. How much BMW do you get for that? Perhaps a little 1-series with manual tranny and no power options. Hmmm.:pat:

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeah whats your point?, I personally think that BMW and Mercedes are so hyped up its ridiclous. Also some people enjoy different styles and i think the 300 interior is classy and has a unique look. Also your name is misleading you say you have a 3000c but ur name impilies a srt 8?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The 300C is a luxury/performance car bargain tageting the masses. If they were built of the same quality and detail as Mercs and Beamers they would have to cost nearly as much. If that were the case then the 300 would not be a success for Chrysler because it would have limited sales potential.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
BMW makes the ugliest cars on the planet, and for some reason no matter how snobby the X3/X5 owners act, the only thing I think when I see BMW is overpriced econobox.

Mercedes aint much better - after seeing the 300C they tried to 1-up it with this...

Looks like a bunch of Japanese designers tried to redo the 300C to me, and that's all.

German engineering + boring Japanese wannabe design + terrible reliability = German car.

They don't make cars to last anymore, they just make cars for John Sauve and his wife Lisa Suave-Miller to lease, and drive from their house to starbucks, and from there to work, and back.

The way I see it, and I know I'm always being trashed for not having the "right" opinion - this is what I'd consider:

1. A cheap econobox - a 4 cylinder accord or civic. Be done with it, okay resale, slow, boring as ****.

2. A nice car like the 300C - unique and nice

3. A Lexus - fancy, boring, and mostly harmless. maybe an Audi, they're not as reliable but still fast, and they lack the snobhead image the BMWs and Mercedes have.

4. If you're really going to spend $$$, a Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, or some **** like that - I don't get the point of buying a gussied up version of the Porsche that every 40 year old in midlife crisis has in their driveway on bricks. Even if it has a quad-turbo 6 cylinder engine shoved into its ass and handles like its on rails, seriously?

If you gave me $70k and told me I had to spend it on one car - I'd be stuck between a Corvette and a VW Phaeton. I don't think it'd be quite enough to buy an S8, maybe an S5, that'd be pretty sexy. Why the Phaeton? It's a sick car - it has the front end of a boring VW but it has an overall muscular look XD

That or an SRT8 and an SRT6 roadster ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think for the price the 300 is impossible to beat for the quality of the build. Some more prefer more fluff, but mine is quiet and comfortable and solid. I don't need or want any other automobile than a 300. I am a very satisfied customer.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
Anyway, I don't see the point. Our car has hinges and doors that are every bit as well built as a mercedes. The steering system that people bitch about so much, along with the transmission that people also complain about a lot, were also both designed by mercedes. The ESP system, again, plenty complained about - was designed by Mercedes.

The cruise control stalk, that was complained about so much that Chrysler went and made another one is on every Mercedes built since the early 90s. In fact, all 3 stalks on our steering column are mercedes stalks, and you can even find them in a $90k S-class (in fact, you can find the whole steering column there).

I haven't sat in a lot of cars, and I know they did cheap out a bit - stuff like hard door panels, but the whole car? Hell no. Man, you should know this - take a look at things, the steering column goes into the dash via a nice covered panel - did you know not even some Lexuses have that?

Instead, you get this gigantic gap ;)

You probably paid $35-ish for that 300C. What would you prefer? A 5 speed tranny, power seats, hemi engine, and the safety features of the 300C (albeit not awesome in side impacts, I think the car is safer than most people give it credit for).....

Or a soft dashboard? Seriously please.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was going to say he was just Trolling, but he did say it was his opinion which we all have. Former BMW E46 owner myself, traded that Bitch in for my Hemi!!!!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bmw / Mercedes

UMmmm... let me think here for a second , I have a 2005 300c AWD , dashboard had to be completely replaced - big bulges coming up through my passenger side , back rear quarter panels to the bumper don't line up at all , everything from my sunroof to my door panels to my rear back dash rattles all to hell . I had to replace my rear back seat due to faulty / rotten out tensioners . My rear "chrysler" emblem on my trunk lid fell off ! Now my sunroof is starting to leak recently . I could go on and on but I don't believe that the construction of my 300C with all these problems has anything to do with mercedes benz does it ? . I have driven various mercedes and BMW cars but have not owned any of them , so can someone comment on their experiences with those brands as far as quality control is concerned ?
B D HEMI

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts

You are trying to compare apples to bowling balls. What do you think you're going to come up with?

Mercedes do have a much more solid feel and the leather is awesome. But one thing I've found is that my SRT knobs and little stuff is holding up much better than the mercedes I went and looked at when I bought one.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
I've read that the unibody of the LX platform is actually more rigid than any Mercedes Benz. That may be an exaggeration; i'm not sure - - but it definitely is an extremely solid car structurally. Now the interior fit & finish is definitely not in the same league as Mercedes, but then again I didn't pay $75,000 for my 300C. When you are basically getting a $75,000 car for $30,000, you have to expect some differences! I'm glad they "skimped" where they did and not in areas that matter more.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I think our cars are very nice... and damn near unbeatable for the prices we bought them for.
My car has a mild rattle coming from the dash up by the glass that I'll have fixed this weekend. Other than that, it's as quiet as anything I've ever driven.
Personally, I think the absolute WORST feature of our cars is the headliner. Definitely not the car's strong area.
However, it's one of the classiest looking cars on the road, IMO, and it's got muscle to back up its stately appearence.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Many people drive Merc's because of the precieved status that it gives them, however, those same people that have been surveyed will tell you that thier Merc's are not reliable. So if you want to trade your Diamlar/Chrysler for a Diamlar....go for for it. Because right now you sound like Ormon the Tool.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, the original poster seems to have successfully ruffled some feathers.

I think what everyone here is trying to say is this: for the money, the 300 series is quite good value.

Having never driven the base model 300s (only the C and SRT-8), I can't be a fair judge of the entire line. But it is fair to say that some pieces of our cars are cheap (hmmm... transmission o-ring problem springs to mind here), and the interiors are horrible. But, again, for the price of a 300 series, the value tends to be quite good.

Example: with my SRT-8, I have a car that suits my family needs (safety, space, features) that can beat most production road cars easily (fun). And it was less expensive than my last BMW 3-series, which only satisfied [personally] the safety aspect of my requirements. That seems to be the beginning of good value for money in my humble opinion. Of course, maintenance, reliability, etc. must be mixed in. But don't get me started on the reliability of BMW, nor their service record with me.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts