Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally broke down and washed my car by hand, for the first time this Spring. Not happy with my wheels. What are good products to cut black brake dust and polish chrome wheels? Regular washing did not get the job done. :mad: :(

Thanks,

Steve Cassel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Get a wheel cleaning brush and wheel cleaner. Clean before washing the car, so you can hit the wheels again with regular car wash cleaners. Then when everything is nice and dry, sit down with some cotton rags and chrome/wheel polish and shine away.... It is a labor of love : )

·
Registered
477 Posts
brake dust

StCassel said:
Finally broke down and washed my car by hand, for the first time this Spring. Not happy with my wheels. What are good products to cut black brake dust and polish chrome wheels? Regular washing did not get the job done. :mad: :(

Thanks,

Steve Cassel
i dont have ANY brake dust (have 1200miles on car), in fact i was marvelling about this to my wife 2 or 3 days ago when we were washing it. wheels are clean and like brand new. repeat, no brake dust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't have any brake dust either, and I am at 4000+ miles. I hope it continues this way! I did put some of the Zaino polish on them so i don't know if that is the reason.

·
Registered
588 Posts
No brake dust here either, but only 2200 miles. Really don't expect any since my previous LHS didn't develop any with similar brakes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Brake dust?

Good News! 5800 miles and no brake dust! Is it a different composite in the shoe? Only car in the last 10 years with no brake dust. :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
1200 miles and no dust either. I too did the Ziano thing, lots of work to do the whole car, but well worth the effort. Can anyone recommenda good tire "polish" Armoral and Eagle T-1 leave a brown oxidation haze after about a week.....

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
You did Zaino and didn't get Z-16? :confused: I would recommend a follow up order with Zaino Bros. and get their "Perfect Tire Gloss". I've used it on the tires of my Yukon XL and it keeps them looking great. The great thing with all the Zaino products is that you don't have to keep re-applying it. It stays for quite a while.

·
Banned
14 Posts
There is a tsb for chrome wheels # 22-004-03
DO NOT USE :
wheel cleaners that contain hydroflouric acid ,biflouride compounds ,sulfuric acid ,or
phosphoric acid**
Any abrasive type cleaner
Any abrasive cleaning pad or abrasive brush
Any oven cleaner
A car wash that has carbide tipped wheel - cleaning brushes
If a dealer thinks or knows you did they will not warranty the wheels

·
Registered
206 Posts
2500 miles and no brake dust on the 18" wheels. I complained to the dealer about the brakes making a barely audible scrunching sound when I roll to a stop...they checked the front out and said all was well, and that they are using a new ceramic compound that can take the heat and breaks down better than the old pads. I noticed that when I 1st hose the car down prior to a wash I see some quantity of black dust run out with the water behind the front wheels...looks like the old brake dust and not dirt. After a wash/dry I just use a little of the Meguires Spray & Shine to clean up any spots and BLING - they look great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's a little more on TSB 22-004-03:

Chrome wheels should be cleaned regularly with mild soap and water to maintain their luster
and prevent corrosion. Wash them with the same soap solution as the body of the vehicle.

Care must be taken in the selection of tire and wheel cleaning chemicals and equipment
to prevent damage to wheels. Mopar Wheel Treatment, p/n 05066247AB – 12 oz. or
05066248AB – 5 gal., is recommended to remove normal brake dust, dirt, grease and grime.

NOTE: To clean extremely dirty wheels, Mopar Chrome Cleaner, p/n
04318013, is recommended.

Any of the “DO NOT USE” items listed below can damage or stain wheels and wheel trim.

DO NOT USE:
• **Wheel cleaners that contain hydroflouric acid, biflouride compounds, sulfuric acid, or
phosphoric acid.**
• Any abrasive type cleaner
• Any abrasive cleaning pad (such as steel wool) or abrasive brush
• Any oven cleaner.
• A car wash that has carbide tipped wheel-cleaning brushes.

CAUTION: Many commercial wheel cleaners contain acids that may harm the
wheel surface. **Avoid all “wheel acid” type cleaners.**

CAUTION: **Any facility found using acid based wheel cleaners will void all wheel
warranties, and all damage to customer wheels will be the facility’s responsibility.**

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Meguiar's Spray & SHine is for the body and I use it on the 18" chrome wheels...not the tires. I apply and rub with a microfiber towel...no corrosives...no residue...and no "spider web" scratches anywhere. A couple of guys here at work use the Zaino products for paint and chrome. Either product line understands our dorky need for perfection in the way our rides look to us AND others, and both are quality products. I buy the Meguiar's becuase you can get it anywhere. Zaino has to be ordered via Internet.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I use Rain X spray wax for the chrome wheels, I have no brake dust at all but lots of water spots that the Rain X cures. I otherwise use Zaino when I do a full detail.

·
Registered
223 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
I use Rain X spray wax for the chrome wheels, I have no brake dust at all but lots of water spots that the Rain X cures. I otherwise use Zaino when I do a full detail.
kings - Do you use the Rain X spray wax on the side chrome mirrors or a chrome polish? Also, where did you get the Rain X spray wax? I tried the local automotive store and the local hw store that has a pretty good automotive section.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts