Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car sits outside in all the weather and also sits outside at work. Don't know if that has anything to do with the BRAKE light on the dash staying on when I left from work. All day we've had freezing rain and everything is covered with a sheet of ice. After I finally got in the car after cleaning all the windows and starting the car all the light go out except for the BRAKE. All the way home each time I stopped there was a tone when I drive away.

After I got home I shut everything down and restarted but the light stayed on. Any ideas of what the problem is?????

Harleyrider

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
check the switch under the dash that its not sticking. If the brake is releasing and the light is staying on, its probably the switch itself.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
In the good old days (before the proliferation of automatic transmissions) it was a common practice to use the parking brake, but NOT in the winter, especially in conditions like you describe, as any water that gets into the parking brake cables might freeze overnight and keep the brake from releasing. This sometimes would render the car undriveable until the brake cables were thawed out (love those safety flares).
If warmer, drier conditions haven't returned, and the brake light is still on, try setting the brake really hard to break up any ice in the cable sheath.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't set the parking brake. That's why this is so confusing. The only thing different today is all the ice. I even had a message to "SERVICE PARK ASSIST SYSTEM". I'm fairly sure that is because of ice covering the sensors in the bumper and ice on the upper part of the rear glass. At least I hope that is what is causing that problem. Not going to get any better overnight (weather wise) but I'll see how it functions in the morning.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate all suggestions.

Harleyrider

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this morning I cleaned the ice and snow from the back glass and from the sensors in the bumper and also, jerked on the parking brake release a few times. After starting the car NO brake light on dash and NO "service park assist system" so, I'm good to go.

Thanks again for your suggestions and thoughts. Really appreciate it.

Keep the faith

Harleyrider

·
Premium Member
10,769 Posts
The ebrake is easy to "bump" slightly with the foot when getting into the car. It takes very little to set the light. When that happens there may not be enough tension for a pull of the release (since you have a 2005) to reposition the pedal arm to reset the trip switch. In those cases, simply raise your toe and "help" the pedal back to its fully "up" position and the light will go out and stay out.

Foul weather fouling of the parking sensors (winter slush, or off-road mud) is a sure way to "bleat" yourself into a CEL. Keep 'em clear and your good to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You might have just bumped the pedal. Alsmost every time I climb into my car I bump the pedal and have to pull the release. It must be the pedal location because I've never had that problem before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts