Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded pads and rotors, but this car needs more (soon to be well over 400 rwhp.) Not necessarily ready to plunk down $5k for a great big brake kit from stoptech or Brembo.

Mopar supercenter has a new upgrade...anyone have any experience with these? (will also post on the Brake forum)

LX Brake Upgrade Kit R/T Model Only

·
Registered
224 Posts
he has a 300c. what are you gonna do to get that extra 30 rwhp? It looks like you've pretty much maxed everything else out. You goin forced induction?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he has a 300c. what are you gonna do to get that extra 30 rwhp? It looks like you've pretty much maxed everything else out. You goin forced induction?
getting a 90MM throttle body, and diablo CMR tune from Power Ported performance. Conservatively, that should be worth 30-40hp.:scared:

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
My man!

getting a 90MM throttle body, and diablo CMR tune from Power Ported performance. Conservatively, that should be worth 30-40hp.:scared:
I think you might even get a little more than that! In regards to the brakes, I have been snooping a little myself. I thought I had found my brakes when I saw the Brembo Gran Turismo's but took pause when I saw the price. Even swapping out with SRT8s is quite spendy! If you come up with a solution let me know. So how's that, you ask for help and you get asked for help right back! I tell you what, if I find something before you I'll let you know. By the way, it's good to see your still running strong!

P.S. I just had a thought, swap brakes with that purple thing that your driving now!:)

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
If your talking about that kind of RWHP going with a big brake it is your only option. The other options will be like a patch on the problem. I have Brembo, I'm not sure how good the other brands are. But everytime I've been to the track the guys using the other brands beat them up pretty good. I have never had an issue on the street or at the track.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you might even get a little more than that! In regards to the brakes, I have been snooping a little myself. I thought I had found my brakes when I saw the Brembo Gran Turismo's but took pause when I saw the price. Even swapping out with SRT8s is quite spendy! If you come up with a solution let me know. So how's that, you ask for help and you get asked for help right back! I tell you what, if I find something before you I'll let you know. By the way, it's good to see your still running strong!

P.S. I just had a thought, swap brakes with that purple thing that your driving now!:)
GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN! Well...I went with the stoptech big brake kit in the front (black calipers) and stainless braided lines/better pads in the back. Thats all I want to spend for now :pat: :smashfrea . Its not like the current brakes don't work well-they do. Its just that you can't drive this beast the way its meant to be driven unless you have some damn fine brakes like in the "purple thing" in my garage (plum crazy srt8).

I will be taking them both to the Hemi shootout in Indy on March 22. Andy from PPP is going to install the diablo with cmr software right there. That alone may push me over 400rwhp..or at least close. Plus..for the first time, I am going to run this thing on drags just to see what she does (instead of those beutiful, but 30 plus lbs. verdes I have on there).

OK Bruce..your going to crack up...I went nuts and got tired of looking at the three beauties in my garage, (only to walk past them and get in the tahoe cause the snow and weather here in Michigan has been relentless)
Winter or at least cold/threatening weather is here 4-6 months. That didn't make sense to me..3 awesome summer cars (soon to be 2--the sts-v is a lease due back in June) and one winter car, when I drive alone, 45 minutes to work, 5 days a week-plus work travel. So...we.....um....i traded the tahoe in on a 2008 BMW 335xi (awd version). HOLY ****AKE-that car is 13.3 stock!
Plus..guys are slapping a piggyback tune (mail order for anywhere from $400 to $2000) and getting 75 more HP...and running LOW 12s! This thing launches like a slingshot, even on wet, slippery pavement. It is a blast (got my tune in the mail today...) Someone stop me!!! It may end up being my fastest car...?? whoda thunkit??

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
AWD...now we're talking!

2008 BMW 335xi (awd version). HOLY ****AKE-that car is 13.3 stock! piggyback tune...and running LOW 12s! This thing launches like a slingshot, even on wet, slippery pavement.
What are the numbers on that model BMW? Weight, horsepower etc.? Sounds like a lot of potential. It's good that you've come to your senses and got an AWD but why not go all the way and upgrade to an AWD C?:)

On a more serious note, what are the improvements of your new brakes over stock?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What are the numbers on that model BMW? Weight, horsepower etc.? Sounds like a lot of potential. It's good that you've come to your senses and got an AWD but why not go all the way and upgrade to an AWD C?:)

On a more serious note, what are the improvements of your new brakes over stock?
the 335 is roughly 3700lbs. It is an inline 6 cylinder with twin turbo set up, advertised as 306 hp. In reality, it dynos in the 275 range, so most of the Bimmer techies figure its in the 325-335 range. The FI cars (especially this one) are underboosted, and the piggyback systems, along with some downpipes, are getting them in the 350-400 rwhp range. And the mods are cheap (tune, $400, downpipes, $650). Check this out:

Fast BMW 335is 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com
Full Test: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

As for the stoptech brakes..the best place to learn about them is the Zechausen web site(big sponsor here.and really staight shooter). They are like the big brembos..much bigger, stronger and less apt to fade in very hard driving. They are very balanced as far as front to rear, and replacement parts are far less expensive than Brembo stuff (pads, rotors, etc..)

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Congrats on the BMW Mike, it sounds like a very sweet ride. And by the way, you get no pity from me with all that talk about your cold winter.:24:

When you have put 50-100 miles on those brake please give us your impressions. Like I said earlier, I am in the market for an upgrade and I may follow your lead if that setup adds a significant amount of braking power. I like your approach of not replacing the rear calipers and spending in the critical areas only. The back calipers can always be upgraded later if necessary. I assume that they work with both your 20s and stock wheels?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
one thing you want to keep im mind when upgrading is the brake bias. too much braking on the front and not enough in the back could affect stopping distances.
Very good point, and something that should be monitored if this is employed. I tend to think that the stopping power will be increase over stock with this setup with little adverse effect. ABS will take care of the fronts locking prematurely under extreme braking. The psi at any point on either of the pads would seem to be close but there would just be that much more pad applied with the larger brakes. This would keep wear consistent with stock and the rear pads. So my guess is that this should work but I agree with you in that it should be something that is kept in mind and monitored.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark at Zeckhausen discussed this with me. I guess many folks do it this way..put a big brake kit on the front and storonger braided lines with upgraded pads in the back. I think it should be quite good, but I will let you know. Should go on next week, weather permitting.

Like I said, the current set up (power slot rotors, ebc red stuff pads) is better than stock in terms of fading. Its just that this car gets up to 100 mph so damn fast, you really need a lot more than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts