Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Magnesium 300C I bought last May. Have had a lot of problems with it but the last few months things have been smooth. Lately though I have noticed a grunt/slight crunch sound when I brake a little hard. I comes right at the end when the brakes fully engage and the car comes to a complete stop. Sometimes it is not that noticable and sometimes its louder. It also is very noticable when I back up in reverse. Than it happens not as I stop but when I have stopped and release pressure off the brake. If backing up you pump them a few times it will do it releatedly. Do not remember these noises in the past but usually have my radio on.

Took it to the dealer. They say they disasembled the calipers and put on anti seize on the slides. Also claim they did a basic clean up. Well the noise is still there. Maybe even a little louder. They say now let it work in a few days but what I am hearing is normal caliper engagement. They got a Sebring out and recreated the noise. Also a 300 Touring and re created it. But what the guy did was engage the brake like two thirds way and got that noise you get there at slow speed - thats the noise but I get it slightly different. Saw another guy with his C in for service and asked him and he said his car does not do that.

Am I nuts and too anal here.

Bob

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Having had lots of problems you are waiting for the next one to pop up.(I would do the same) As long as it's stopping properly I would not worry about it since you have 3/36 on this item it will manifest if it is a defect kinda like my 55mph vibration. I had a similar sound on my 02 Odyssey and the dealer said it was normal. Now that things are smooth I would enjoy the thing and monitor the sound for now. That is what I am doing with the vibes.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well put. And anything that comes up now I am over sensitive too. It just bothers me when you pay 38K for a car, and you know with the right amount of time put in they could fix your problem, and its clear they don't want to cause they feel its not a big deal. I also aked for the 3.61 SW and boy did they double talk me on why they should not do it. I basically said you are telling me you don't want to.

Good luck on your vibes.

Bob

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Insist on the 3.61, the symptoms you need to report are erratic outside temp guage that is slow to react and inaccurate, also the wipers come on at times when the turn signal is activated. If you have these probs. you might call DC to log them, get a reference# and then call the scv. mgr. the schedule the 3.61 flash and indicate DC gave a ref. # and whatever else you need to tell them to gitRdone. G.luck

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have the same problem with my brakes and I only have 2400 km's on my car. I haven't taken it to the dealer but im thinking the noise is normal until I break in my car. I will have the dealer check it out but I doubt they'll do anything cause the car is stopping without and problems.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I have also heard that grinding brake noise right at the end of a hard stop, but only about 3 times over the past 6 months. Kind of sounded like metal on metal grinding. I have never heard the sound while backing up in reverse. It has happened so rarely I havn't even bothered to ask my dealer to look at it.

The other noise you are hearing, when you release the brake pedal, was discussed in this thread.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2102&page=1&pp=10
"Bedding" the brakes was also mentioned in this thread, which might help reduce the noise.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Especially since the weather has been colder I have heard the same noise occasionally from the brakes. But the performance of my brakes (at 20,000 miles) is better than new. They are using a new compound on the break pads that contains some ceramics which cause less rotor wear and dust than older pads, but they make different noises. It seems like these brakes need a good amount of time to really "bed" in and reach full effectiveness.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading all this stuff and the other thread, it sounds like things are cool. I'll continue to monitor. Thanks folks.

Bob

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey folks. I did the bedding the brakes thing and it did help. The noise is less. The problem was finding a road to do it on. Did it on Saturday on the long entrance into my work. Could not get all the repetitions in a row but generally got it done.

Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All
I have the same issue. The dealer replaced the rotors and pads and it still does it. He said he drove 3 new ones that were on the lot and they all did it, so he thinks it's normal. I'm still not convinced.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
This is possibly related to the brake ABS.

A Ford vehicle I owned, occasionally made a crunch just before stopping. It happened particularly when braking hard on slippery surfaces; such as ice, loose gravel or wet mud. Ford issued a bulletin stating it was a normal function of the ABS system.

If you still feel that this is a problem ask the techs to check your ABS.

Zilla

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi rdmac,
Any updates on this issue, having the same problem to now. Did the bedding help permanently? Just asking before i cook my brake pads...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have the same braking problem but have not went to the dealer yet for it.
Im gonna wait til I really need to go into the dealer.
I guess this is with multiple cars and hopefully the dealer will find a fix.
O,BTW, my car is doing this and I have about 8000 miles and its been doing this for no more than 1000 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts