Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer get word back from Chrysler regarding the early brake rotor wear issue. If he's to be trusted, Chrysler's official stance is "we're going to wait and see." "We don't think it's necessarily an issue." "We are aware of it." "The wear may be acceptable."

A CALL TO ACTION

PLEASE - everyone with an SRT-8 with early rotor wear: Take your car in to your dealer and report the problem. We need to make the issue loud and clear NOW - BEFORE we all hit 12,000 miles on our rotors and the warranty expires.

These things take months, so people need to start reporting now. ESPECIALLY any new deliveries - inspect your rotors after 200-300 miles. As soon as you see the grooving, report it to your dealer. If Chrysler starts getting reports of grooving before 500 miles, they can't ignore us.

Thank you for helping!

·
Registered
182 Posts
As good as the C brakes are, why didn't they work out for the SRT8? The car is nearly identical in all ways excepting the wheels (too much increase in the unsrung load or angular inertia)?

I would have guessed a simple addition of sloted and drilled rotors would have been a sufficent upgrade (only they wouldn't have been the bembro models)!

·
Administrator
14,583 Posts
JMatt said:
My dealer get word back from Chrysler regarding the early brake rotor wear issue. If he's to be trusted, Chrysler's official stance is "we're going to wait and see." "We don't think it's necessarily an issue." "We are aware of it." "The wear may be acceptable."

A CALL TO ACTION

PLEASE - everyone with an SRT-8 with early rotor wear: Take your car in to your dealer and report the problem. We need to make the issue loud and clear NOW - BEFORE we all hit 12,000 miles on our rotors and the warranty expires.

These things take months, so people need to start reporting now. ESPECIALLY any new deliveries - inspect your rotors after 200-300 miles. As soon as you see the grooving, report it to your dealer. If Chrysler starts getting reports of grooving before 500 miles, they can't ignore us.

Thank you for helping!
jMatt:

I was in for my first oil change today and I asked the service manager what was happening with this issue. Just after you started the rotor wear thread, I pasted all the pertinent information, including your images, into a Word document. I gave him a copy of this a few weeks ago for him to peruse.

Today I had the problem officially documented. Greg, the service manager said he had been in touch with someone from the SRT team recently on another issue. He said he had also mentioned my concerns and was told "they are working on it". Obviously they are aware of it and hopefully something will become of it in the near future.

You're right that everyone needs to make their service managers aware of the problem as soon as possible.

Rambit

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll take pics a little later in the weekend but I'm at 700 miles on mine with no inordinate rotor wear. This with some pretty deep stops from 100+ too.

I'm posting this as just an FYI to compare against - my car was built May 13th (yes, Friday the 13th!)

So far so good...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 2000 miles on mine and the rotors had to be turned. They are better now but I believe there is a problem. The warrenty it also 3yr-36000 on the rotors.

Salty

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine has about 850 miles, and no problem, so far. I've been watching it pretty close. I drive it hard, but don't slam the brakes too often. But even if you did slam and climb over the brakes all the time, shouldn't have a problem after only 1K anyway. I'm keeping my eye on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
After reading this thread yesterday, I went to look at my rotors. I was surprised to see some grooving in the face of the rotors. I have 692 miles on the car and have not been driving it hard so as to properly break it in. On Thursday, I am taking it to the dealer to have them install a grill for me. I will point the rotor wear out to the service manager and see what his attitude is. I'll post after speaking to him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 3646 miles and have some fairly significant grooving in the rotors. I've taken it for service and spoke with the service manager and the head tech. They both gave me the company line, basically they feel it is acceptible wear. I had them note on the service ticket to check brakes & rotors, I also told them that I didn't want to have to replace rotors at 12,000 miles. The tech said they should last for 30,000 miles. Also, if there is a rotor problem it should be showing up on the SRT Track Experience cars due to the fact that they drive those cars at their performance limits.

·
Registered
750 Posts
jhelmuth said:
As good as the C brakes are, why didn't they work out for the SRT8? The car is nearly identical in all ways excepting the wheels (too much increase in the unsrung load or angular inertia)?

I would have guessed a simple addition of sloted and drilled rotors would have been a sufficent upgrade (only they wouldn't have been the bembro models)!
It has always been appropriate to increase braking power with increased horsepower. The 300c brakes while adequate for the 300c just don't perform well enough for the increased performance of the SRT8, they just dont have enough power.

Zilla

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
evans-srt said:
I have 3646 miles and have some fairly significant grooving in the rotors. I've taken it for service and spoke with the service manager and the head tech. They both gave me the company line, basically they feel it is acceptible wear. I had them note on the service ticket to check brakes & rotors, I also told them that I didn't want to have to replace rotors at 12,000 miles. The tech said they should last for 30,000 miles. Also, if there is a rotor problem it should be showing up on the SRT Track Experience cars due to the fact that they drive those cars at their performance limits.
I doubt if it will show up on the track experience vehicle. Sounds like DCX put a "race compund" pad on the SRT-8. Great for track performance where the rotors are going to run at over 600 degrees.

Terrible for street use when the rotors could be cold most of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
jhelmuth said:
Don't forget that minor detail about the 425HP and 6200RPM redline. ;) .... Just a minor one though. :D

Slotting and drilling rotors does nothing to increase braking force. In fact, it's been widely contested that since it lessens the surface area it can make braking worse in certain situations....I don't know, I won't argue that, just passing along what I've heard.

But what cannot be contested is that bigger rotors and more clamping surface (more brake piston surface on pad to decrease deflection) is THE way to increase braking efficiency.

·
Registered
134 Posts
vvv90 said:
Don't forget that minor detail about the 425HP and 6200RPM redline. ;) .... Just a minor one though. :D

Slotting and drilling rotors does nothing to increase braking force. In fact, it's been widely contested that since it lessens the surface area it can make braking worse in certain situations....I don't know, I won't argue that, just passing along what I've heard.

But what cannot be contested is that bigger rotors and more clamping surface (more brake piston surface on pad to decrease deflection) is THE way to increase braking efficiency.
I think what he is saying in the first quote is that is takes the same power to stop a regular 300 as opposed to an SRT-8. HP and redline have nothing to do with how long it takes the car to stop. Its just speed and weight, and at the same speed and weight...well, you get it i'm sure.

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
GNSCOTT said:
I think what he is saying in the first quote is that is takes the same power to stop a regular 300 as opposed to an SRT-8. HP and redline have nothing to do with how long it takes the car to stop. Its just speed and weight, and at the same speed and weight...well, you get it i'm sure.
Just referring to weight, yes, it makes sense in everyday conditions.

However,

Does anyone remember my post about how I accidentally hit 140??? ;)

I'm glad I didn't have standard C brakes then. :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
NR - great comment!

I doubt if it will show up on the track experience vehicle. Sounds like DCX put a "race compund" pad on the SRT-8. Great for track performance where the rotors are going to run at over 600 degrees.

From someone who races, NR would know...

I've got and idea...
(probably not a smart one though)
maybe we all should just "hammer it" on switched out "race" pads and send the tickets to DC... :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Northern Rider said:

I agree with you NR. I posted a picture of a CSRT8 wheel after finishing with the SRT Experience as I was surprised to see little brake dust. The consensus at the time was that DCX used some other pad. You have to wonder did they use another pad or are the pads just performing as they’re supposed to since they’re racing pads (and you had 100 people stomping on them all day in 80 + temps.) At the time of my experience the rotor issue hadn’t been brought up- if so I would have looked and asked the SRT staff. I sure will look when I go back to the one in September.

·
Registered
193 Posts
GNSCOTT said:

I agree. If I ever get my srt and Chrysler does nothing to fix the brake issue I'm considering converting the brakes to the 300c version. (after warranty of course)

·
Premium Member
4,071 Posts
Mr. Redbird said:
I agree. If I ever get my srt and Chrysler does nothing to fix the brake issue I'm considering converting the brakes to the 300c version. (after warranty of course)
LOL.

And when you personally experience how frickin' awesome the SRT8 stops I'm sure you'll change your mind reeeeal quick!

;)

You do realize they're 14.2" rotors with 4 piston Brembo's on all 4 corners.......right?

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
Mr. Redbird said:
I don't think this is a big issue. Once they get the pad compound right, the problem will be fixed. Warranty will cover any problems, meantime.

BTW: the SRT-8 braking performance is awesome. Wish I had them on my C!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Northern Rider said:
I don't think this is a big issue. Once they get the pad compound right, the problem will be fixed. Warranty will cover any problems, meantime.

BTW: the SRT-8 braking performance is awesome. Wish I had them on my C!
i agree !....let's not all panic....the folks at SRT will make sure this taken care of.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts