Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife attempted to drive the car for the first time tonight.

She pulled the lever to release the parking brake and it just pulled out from the dashboard! The lever will not return to it's orignal position. It still releases but just hangs half in half out:worried:

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
What a disappointment for you both. However, if its any consolation, doesn't sound too serious. I've looked in the workshop manual and its probably just a cable linkage that's loosened. The build quality of these cars has generally been quite good although the occasional blips do pop up from time to time.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
With an '08, I should hope he's under warranty. Sucks, though. Might take a while to build my confidence back up in something that broke that fast. Shame, really.

Jimbo, at least it released and you can drive it. Have a polite go at the dealer's. "Bugger, I can't believe something broke this fast! I hope this is not an example of ..." Maybe they'll give you a free service for your frustration!

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi Jimbo,
Commiserations!! That is probably something that should have been picked up in the PDI but in any event is in no way serious or indicative of build quality of these cars. I see fadertoo reckons you should be due a free service - if you get one for this you can add it to your collection. At that rate you can keep the car for three years getting a service done at the end of years one and two and hand it back at the end of year three. Cause that is about the only general moan about these cars - the high cost of servicing. On the other hand perhaps you should take it as an omen - and not let your wife near it!! Hope it gets sorted out quick for you.
Cheers John

·
Registered
347 Posts
if I want something damaged I normally give it to my wife.

if she cant make something work with gentle persuasion, she will generally just force it till it breaks :):)

I wont let her touch my car, it wasnt built to take that kind of punishment

regards

elpirata

p.s till its fixed be careful if you park on a hill, make sure you turn the wheels into the curb, if you let it hang on the transmission, you can jam it in P i think yada yada yada

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should be covered by warranty car is only 3 days old! with '3 year bumper to bumper or 60.000 miles' (the exact wording used by the salesman). Already have one free service due to a mess up with the delivery of the wrong tow bar electrical harness and a free valet next time the car goes in to have the harness fitted. Wonder what they will offer to me next... free upgrade to SRT:biggrin:

To be honest the service offered so far by Whitehouse of Maidstone has been excellent with them notifying me of the problem and offering another car to use for the few hrs I was kept waiting due to the delay of the wiring harness. The sales team even offered to personally deliver the car to my home and made sure I was kept comfortable while waiting. Tea, coffee, Bang and Olfsen TV and DVD in the waiting area etc stopped me getting bored. It also gave me time to listen to how the service department was dealing with service issues. They actually did quite well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
quality issues

If a parking level breaks after just purchasing a brand new 300c isn't indicative of Bad Quality , than What Is ?
Come on here , I've owned my 300c AWD since 2005 and I'm still having new
issues coming up and there have been WAY to many problems to list here of what I've gone through up till now !
Glad I've leased the car so when it's time to give it back , I can say - bye , bye ...
These cars are a "poor man's mercedes " - emphasis on "poor" quality .
Definitely not a mercedes !!!
B D HEMI

·
Registered
650 Posts
If a parking level breaks after just purchasing a brand new 300c isn't indicative of Bad Quality , than What Is ?
Come on here , I've owned my 300c AWD since 2005 and I'm still having new
issues coming up and there have been WAY to many problems to list here of what I've gone through up till now !
Glad I've leased the car so when it's time to give it back , I can say - bye , bye ...
These cars are a "poor man's mercedes " - emphasis on "poor" quality .
Definitely not a mercedes !!!
B D HEMI
I'm sorry you feel that way ! but after owning several expensive mercedes ML's etc and finding the build quality worse than bad , also the servicing (the car coming out worse than it went in, and costing me a fortune). I feel for the amount of money you are spending for the most eye catching, comfortable, powerful car that a few problems will arise from a few cars, I had one which had problems but the backup service and customer care from Chrysler and the dealer has been exemplary .

Have all your 195 posts been to the negative or did you once enjoy the car ?

Cheers

Stig
:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
300c AWD

Stig , I have enjoyed the car on numerous occasions , BUT , no sooner I enjoyed the ride , the car disappoints me with another mechanical issue or interior blemish that I've discoverd . The more I investigate the quality of the car inside or out , the more I scratch my head and feel let down . Latest of these "faults" was when I opened my hood to put some windshield wash into the container and I found all kinds of rust in and around the top frame in front of the radiator . I also discovered some rust around my drivers side door handle . Orange dimples all over the cars exterior , my car is Cool Vanilla color - this stands out unfortunetaly. so on so forth...
My car door interior is starting to "peel" back a bit on the sill next to the door knob . Never mind that I had my dash replaced because it bulged out where the passenger air bag was . but fortunetaly was replaced no charge .
I have talked to numerous mercedes owners and have heard some bad stories and alot of good stories , but I suppose everyone has a story or two .
B D HEMI

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I've got to back Stig on this one. My last car was a Mercedes E Class Estate (Wagon) which I thoroughly enjoyed - until it was taken off to a Mercedes dealership miles away for an MOT (Ayr from Hamilton) The seats were moved despite my advising them that my disabled wife had spent ages setting up the passenger seat for herself and then I discovered that the car had been damaged while in their care. Took me six weeks of arguing and trying to get hold of their senior management to get that resolved. Then despite the MOT I discovered that there were brake and suspension faults on the vehicle. That was why I moved to Chrysler and after 8 months remain delighted. Perhaps because all non N American cars are built at Graz in Austria explains any difference in built quality - but considering the many people on this site who are so enthusiastic and delighted with their cars - I doubt it. Long since came to the conclusion that Mercedes is the uneducated man's Chrysler.
Cheers John

·
Registered
134 Posts
My wife and I having owned 3 Pt Cruises, 2 Voyagers and 1 Grand Voyager have had plenty of experience of Chrysler product and compared to other makes we have owned, including BMW, Mazda, VW, Toyota, Vauxhall, Triumph, Fiat, Izusu, Hyundai, Ford and Honda they have proved to be pretty reliable. Nowadays however I would not consider owning any make of car, out of warranty without purchasing a comprehensive aftermarket warranty.Time will tell on the overall reliability of the 300 but having the warranty cover at least allows for fairly worry free driving for the first 3 years.

OH AND REMEMBER THE MEET ON THE 4TH OF MAY AT NEW LANARK..

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
My 300c has no lever.To engauge brake step on pedal, to RELEASE PARKING BRAKE step on it again, IS the lever only on UK versions
It must be just a UK/Euro thing,but I remember my 1970 Camaro having the same set-up as the UK "C" .Just remembered my Camaro was an import from belgium(had km not miles)and perhaps for the Euro imports we had to have the brake release handle,just a thought

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
My 300c has no lever.To engauge brake step on pedal, to RELEASE PARKING BRAKE step on it again, IS the lever only on UK versions
UK legislation requires two COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT braking systems. I think the term "parking brake" originated in the US, as here in the UK this brake has traditionally been referred to as the "handbrake". Also, our MOT test requires the secondary brake to be tested separately for stopping efficiency. I'm not sure how this would work with the US arrangement.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
I have a feeling that our current lever handbrake is being/has been phased out on the 2008 model in favour of the single pedal method as mentioned above?

Stef

·
Registered
360 Posts
As far as UK MOT testing is concerned, the handbrake is indeed referred to as a parking brake. On vehicles with single-circuit hydraulic brakes it must be capable of being used to slow down the vehicle and must meet a minimum braking efficiency of, I think from memory, 25%. For vehicles with dual-circuit brakes, the parking brake efficiency need only meet 16%.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts