Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's its a while since ive been on here, ive been busy working and enjoying driveing my 300c crd tourer, yesterday i was at the traffic lights, the car just cut out with a thump, engine light and emergency light came on, tried to start it it did but cut out when trying to put it in drive, so i got taken to the chrysler garrage, easter hols so it next tues before they can do anything, ive been given a basic mercedes, i will let you all know what the problem is as soon as i find out, but at 11000 miles ive lost confidence in my baby....... any body had the same problem???????????

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Hi Rangrov,
You are experiencing the curse of the modern car. It will as like as not be a sensor somewhere which can only be traced using computer technology (only available at Chrysler dealerships). Gone are the days when if it broke down a rub with the edge of a matchbox on the points and you were away again. But that sadly is progress. You've just got to remember the good times with your car for the next few days - and why not look to the future as well and come up and join us at our Meeting at New Lanark on May 4th. You aren't that far away in Lancashire.
Cheers John

·
Registered
360 Posts
In fact, you're closer than I am Rangrov...... just a wee jaunt up a big wide, smooth, fast road at a steady cruising speed, lol.

Good luck with the car though mate, I see this sort of thing in my workshop all the time nowadays and as John rightly says - it comes with the territory, so to speak, with ANY modern car. All it takes is a failed crank sensor on an engine who's ECU programming doesn't allow a reversionary "limp-mode" rpm signal based on the cam sensor and that's it. Parked up until a new sensor is fitted. Most engines can run in some sort of "limp-mode" when a cam sensor fails, using speed data from the crank sensor, but an awful lot won't run on a cam sensor if the crank sensor fails.
In fact, I had a bmw 740 in the other week that would cut out intermittantly. Now, I'm lucky that I have the full dealer-level software to talk to bmw's, and it showed a totally failed cam sensor which I then replaced. What the laptop didn't show however, was the intermittant breakdown of signal from the crank sensor which was then causing it to cut out yet again! (the fault has to exist for a certain length of time before it will log a fault code via the ecu) A bit of good old fashioned fault diagnosis later, one replaced crank sensor, and it was purring on all 8 again.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
your car can self diagnose doing the 3(could be 4) quick off and ons with the ignition key.If you get four dashes on the evic display everything is OK,if there's a problem a code will appear,try it,it works on mine.

Our Omiscan also reads Chryslers(tried it on mine)and also on the Hemi's if you have the predator that also reads the diag.The fault codes are on another thread somewhere else,no doubt Rambit could lead you to these codes

·
Registered
360 Posts
If anyone is after a relatively cheap code-reader/live data scanner, type "U581" into the dreaded flea-bay search box. The protocol for these cars is EOBD2 can-bus, this is the reader/scanner I use most of the time in the workshop.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys it is still in the garrage, when i find out what the problem is i will post, they have given me a petrol mercedes c class, ime not impressed.....

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
better than the calibers they gave me,what a piece of sh1t they are

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
car sorted and no trace on chip

Hi guys the dealler MTB have rang me today to say the car is sorted, for your information the fault was a broken wire which is low down near the fan belts drive belts, the loom was to close to the belts and it rubbed the wire away till it broke, now its all sorted, maybe its worth haveing all yours checked on the diesel models, when i broke down i remebered my chip so i quickly wipped it off and hid it in the back of the car, there diagnostics did not pick up that it had been chipped, so that should put some of your minds at rest, also at 6000 miles the discs were skimed cos of brake run out, the run out has come back ( i am not heavy on the brakes ) they have informed me they are changeing the discs and pads under warranty the car is 18 month old, with 11000 on the clock. i hope this has been usefull to you all, happy motoring every one.:)

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
All noted rangrov - bet you are glad to have your car back. Some interesting facts there for those that chip their vehicles and certainly a point to watch with the wires. It is amazing how something so insignificant can bring it all to a grinding standstill. All the best.
Cheers John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts