Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fellow Brits, today's the day when we get our annual screwing from the government - Budget Day. Those with their noses in the trough (our politicians) decide today on how much they are going to rip us off for petrol, vehicle excise etc with this year's "etc" probably being an additional special, special car tax to be placed on larger cars. I think for the sake of clarity for our American cousins we should point out that where The States are known as "The Land of the Free" Britain has always been "A Land Fit for Heroes to Live in" - only thing is that you would have to be a bloody hero to want to live here. Gordon Brown's pet Panda and our Chancellor (perhaps that should be Chancer) Alastair Darling was recently photographed in his natural habitat of Edinburgh Zoo - I do think he looks much better behind bars.

Can we please have the revolution before I am too old to take part in it!! :grouphug:
Cheers John

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that is the budget done and dusted - and no great hope or encouragement for the motorist. I was right - we should have kept the Panda behind bars.
Highlights (or lowlights) are listed below. :scared:
He (Darling) risked the anger of environmental groups by delaying a planned increase in fuel duty for six months - but motorists will face an April 2009 fuel duty rise of 1.84p a litre.
Plans to increase first year road tax for the most polluting vehicles - and a general reform of Vehicle Excise Duty aimed at encouraging the production of greener cars - are also expected to bring in an extra £730m annually by 2010.
Mr Darling said he was setting aside new funding to develop road pricing schemes.
Drinkers will also bear the brunt of Mr Darling's plans with alcohol tax to go up by 6% above inflation - and then by 2% above inflation for each of the next four years, potentially boosting Treasury coffers by £635m annually by 2010. In his first Budget he put 4p on a pint of beer, 14p on a bottle of wine and 55p on a bottle of spirits. Duty on a packet of cigarettes is up 11p.
He announced higher road tax for the most polluting cars but delayed for six months a 2p rise in fuel duty.
The chancellor has set out new plans to encourage the use of less polluting cars in a bid to tackle climate change.
The most polluting vehicles will face a £450 "showroom" tax from 2009-10, which is set to increase to £950 in 2010.
The government is also introducing a new top band for the most polluting vehicles that emit more than 255g of carbon dioxide per kilometre.

·
Registered
650 Posts
And the most polluting vehicles are the millions of buses carrying one person, which the government subsidise !!!!!

So hit every person that chooses to eat,drink smoke and have a nice vehicle.... I wonder if there is a secret plan to turn the whole country into a Quaker state.

Cheers

Stig
:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I'll give up my 300 over my dead body. Did anyone see the cars that took Harriet and chums from No 11 a whacking Big Range Rover and a think it was an old Vauxhall Senator. Not exactly strangers to the forecourt. Sooner these peeps are out the better.

·
Registered
9,851 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know it is hardly surprising that there is no provision in the UK for members of the public to bear arms. If there was it would be open season on politicians - and Greenpeace/Friends of the Earth etc. But they will push too hard eventually!
Cheers John

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I've heard £850.00 for 1st year reported on Real Radio.
thats for new cars right?,,what about older cars like mine,was anything mentioned??:scared:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sooner these peeps are out the better.
..yes, I agree...one trouble is the only realistic (electable) alternatives also appear, under their current leaderships, to be committed to a similarly ''green'' approach to raising revenue....and the other trouble is 'green' is now becoming the most prominent, aggressive and witch-hunting form of 'political correctness' which, in turn, seems to be the post-War equivalent of Stalinism or Maoism....but don't get me [email protected]&*ing started...:pat:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tut tut John W nearly let a bad word slip there. Also road pricing is back on the agenda. I agree that one party is as bad as another over these "green" issues but what to do?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well, I hope they all rot in h3ll. The whole flaming lot of them. Self-important, self-centred, patronising, spongeing, two-faced liars all. If they were all prevented from claiming all the so-called allowances that they currently enjoy (mortgage interest, furnishings, second homes in the 2 most expensive parts of britain - london and Edinburgh) then there would be billions more in the pot for real needy things like schooling and healthcare!!!

Does anyone know if the new VED rates will be applied to new vehicles from now, or retrospectively? When they brought in the previous graduated system it only applied to cars that were registered after that date, in which case it might not be quite so bad for those of us with current vehicles....?

hey, let's form our own party - the "Union of Motorists and Common Sense" and fight the bas****s......

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
According to the "official" budget statement, this is how VED will affect the 300C:

CRD, 215g/km, for 2009-10: £300. For 2010-11: £310 + "showroom" tax of £240.

Hemi, 296g/km, for 2009-10:£440. For 2010-11: £455 + "showroom" tax of £495.

So unless you plan on buying a new car in 2010, you've already avoided the "showroom" tax.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Badger,

I'd vote for that. Then not take your seat in Parliment then we could govern like Belguim ie no politicians.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Screwed again (surprisingly)

So, politicians and diplomats fly all over the place on government business & planning permission is granted for airport expansions BUT there is a new "flight tax" for us?

And . .... If our "green" government are so true to their word, why are MP's driven around in Jags and Daimlers instead of a Prius or taking the bus?

One rule for them and one rule for the rest of us.

I've been holdng back ....... but ........ BASTARDS!

·
Premium Member
2019 Chrysler 300 SRT
2,097 Posts
.............................And . .... If our "green" government are so true to their word, why are MP's driven around in Jags and Daimlers instead of a Prius or taking the bus?.................
A Prius is a seriously bad choice of car, it has an immense hidden pollution factor, batteries!

During its life cycle (production to destruction) which produces more CO2 per mile?

A) A Toyota Prius

B) A Land Rover Discovery 4L V8

I'll give you a clue: It's not B!

Stef

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
According to the "official" budget statement, this is how VED will affect the 300C:

CRD, 215g/km, for 2009-10: £300. For 2010-11: £310 + "showroom" tax of £240.

Hemi, 296g/km, for 2009-10:£440. For 2010-11: £455 + "showroom" tax of £495.

So unless you plan on buying a new car in 2010, you've already avoided the "showroom" tax.
is that for new cars or is it for any car after a cut off year,cos at the moment due to my hemi being an 05 model I'm only paying £205 per annum and I know for a fact that 06 3.5l petrol v6's are paying £300 per annum,any clarification on this matter?? cheers

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
:twak: I would also like to know where they get the co figures from,my wifes Fiat Barchetta is a 1.8 vvt which admittedly is a pretty quick car,has a high co per km figure(according to the V5) but it is so frugal on fuel,it honestly does about 40 mpg if driven at normal speeds and when pushed its still very good on the "juice" but I still have to pay the same tax rate as my "C"??? WTF!!:twak:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts