Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ever have your car professionally detailed, or plan on learing how to use a buffer, here are some things you should know. Their are two types of buffers, with a few spin offs from the same concept. They are the High Speed Rotary and the Dual Action Orbital.
High Speed;
I call this the yellow monster. Because in the wrong hads it can be extremely dangerous. All to often detail shops as well as car dealers will grab the High Speed to detail a car. Reason is that is cuts through the finish quickly and many times shops want to turn over work fast without care for the finish. In their shop (under artificial light) it may look ok, but in the real light, you see the disaster it has created. Another thing is that regular use of this machine will eventually remove your clear coat to the point you have no finish left. In my shop I only use the high speed in special situations. LIke if I see an area that has a scratch or blemish that won't come out with regular procedures. It is easy to burn the paint with this machine which is why I warn people about it. Ask questions before you get your car detailed, if they plan on using the high speed on your entire car, RUN LIKE HELL!!! Another factor that plays in the end result is the choice of pads and compounds. Any combination of the wrong product or pad will also damage the finish. Few people are skilled at using this machine, you don't want you car to be the next experiment.
Dual Action Buffer;
Porter Cable came out with the first Orbital and has its use is wide spread amoung the enthusiast and pro alike. The difference in this machine and the High Speed is this. The High speed rotates and creates heat which breaks down the compounds. This heat is what can burn paint. The Orbital not only spins and also rotates on its access. This does not creat heat, thus it is safe to use. The DA can be used to apply polish/cleaners/waxes/sealants to any surface. DeWalt came out with a new machine DW443, and it has a heavier duty motor, which means it can cut safely and correct defects without causing more problems like the high speed can. Hope this helps. Gary

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought the Porter Cable. It works like a charm and I don't have to worry about burning the finish or the paint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts