Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might have been posted before but I cannot find any info out.

Does our cars have a dash warning light for a failed bulb (lamp)? my last car showed which bulb had failed and the location of it?

I only ask as the wife I had a brake light bulb out when I pulled off the drive at home but nothing showed on the dash?.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I don't think there is such a warning light, but I may be wrong. I've never known such a light in any of the cars I've driven over many years. What model was your last car? My usual method of detecting a blown stoplight is by looking for a reflection in a shop window, but this is only really effective for the nearside. Alternatively, I can tell by reflections from the front of a vehicle that might be tailgaiting me. As a last resort, the MOT will spot it.

Perhaps you could try posting this query in the European/UK section for a wider UK audience?

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
That's a good question. I am not sure whether or not the European spec export cars came with the bulb out warning light. Maybe it was a 2nd gen feature? From what I've seen it doesn't tell you what bulb, just that you have one out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think there is such a warning light, but I may be wrong. I've never known such a light in any of the cars I've driven over many years. What model was your last car? My usual method of detecting a blown stoplight is by looking for a reflection in a shop window, but this is only really effective for the nearside. Alternatively, I can tell by reflections from the front of a vehicle that might be tailgaiting me. As a last resort, the MOT will spot it.

Perhaps you could try posting this query in the European/UK section for a wider UK audience?
I previously had a Rover 75 Contemporary SE which showed a failed bulb and where it was on the car, the more basic model just showed a symbol on the dash IPK

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I don't think there is one on US models. I had some actually tell me my brake light was out on my cool V.

Meanwhile my pilot has a general indicator that tells you when there is a bulb out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for the replies.

It does seem strange that our modern cars do not have this basic facility to show a blown bulb?.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Another missing feature is Oil Pressure warning. The CRD doesn't even have an oil pressure sensor. However, oil level is monitored, but only to tell you when the level is dangerously low. Many years ago, I had a Talbot Solara which was fitted with an "electronic" dipstick. This automatically checked the oil level at every start up and so avoided the need to be regularly removing the dipstick. Newer doesn't always mean better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts