Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about the past week I've occasionally noticed the smell of burning oil, or maybe just some burning fluid in my 2010 300C (It's only noticeable at idle, red lights, parking lots, etc.). Today the smell was a lot more noticeable and when I got in the car it said oil change required. I just bought the car and the oil was changed by the delaer before I picked it up and I've since put about 2500 miles on the car, it shouldn't be due for another 3500 miles. Is it possible I'm getting this now because the car is detecting low oil or that it is losing oil? I checked the dipstick and it is about 1/8" above the minimum safe line (but the oil was still kind of warm), I also pulled the PCV valve out and gave it a quick inspection visually it looks fine and when I shook it it moved freely and didn't get stuck. I looked around the engine bay with a flashlight and didn't notice and seeps or leaks, I then ran my finger around the inside of the tailpipes (really bad idea after a 30 minute drive) and didn't notice any oil residue on them. Is this something I should be concerned about? Are there any other things I should check?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would suggest jacking the car up and putting it on jack stands and look underneath.

The oil is noticeably low since it should be higher than that, and may be leaking onto the exhaust causing it to burn off rather than stain the ground.

Since the dealer just did an oil change, the dipstick should not be reading that low. My 07 stays right at the full line or slightly above it for months.
That would also explain why you smell it while idling, because the airflow under the car when it was moving would keep the smell out of the cabin of the vehicle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I'll have to give a look underneath. The jack I use for my truck won't fit underneath the car I'll have to find a way underneath it to pull the platic shield and look.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One possibility is an oil drip from a valve cover onto an exhaust header. Zero evidence, just the smell when it happened to me. Did you switch from dino to synthetic oil? This is known to "cause" leaks (syn being thinner/more slippery can get past piston rings and gaskets where dino can't).

Reactions: SCMRoman and Don.W

·
Administrator
19,626 Posts
You shouldn't have lost that much oil in that many miles. You do have a leak somewhere so get the car up in the air and look for telltale signs of seepage and/or burnt oil on the engine, especially near the front and rear main seals, the back of the intake manifold and the valve covers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2006, 5.7L Hemi 300C back about 4 years ago when it had 94k miles. I was experiencing an oil burning smell and could see smoke 2-3 minutes after cold starts rising from the exhaust manifold just below the valve cover gasket on the passenger side back closer to the fire wall. It turned out to be the valve cover gasket. Replaced and no problem. You will lose oil over time with this leak. After changing the valve cover gasket the leak, smell are gone and my oil level remains perfect from
Oil change to oil change

·
Registered
3 Posts
For about the past week I've occasionally noticed the smell of burning oil, or maybe just some burning fluid in my 2010 300C (It's only noticeable at idle, red lights, parking lots, etc.). Today the smell was a lot more noticeable and when I got in the car it said oil change required. I just bought the car and the oil was changed by the delaer before I picked it up and I've since put about 2500 miles on the car, it shouldn't be due for another 3500 miles. Is it possible I'm getting this now because the car is detecting low oil or that it is losing oil? I checked the dipstick and it is about 1/8" above the minimum safe line (but the oil was still kind of warm), I also pulled the PCV valve out and gave it a quick inspection visually it looks fine and when I shook it it moved freely and didn't get stuck. I looked around the engine bay with a flashlight and didn't notice and seeps or leaks, I then ran my finger around the inside of the tailpipes (really bad idea after a 30 minute drive) and didn't notice any oil residue on them. Is this something I should be concerned about? Are there any other things I should check?
Spitballing (of course) but:
1. Perhaps the dealership forgot to reset the Oil Change Indicator after changing the oil.
2. Maybe the car was in such good shape mechanically when the dealer received it they didn't change the oil but claimed they did, knowing the Indicator would tell you to have it changed at the right interval anyway?
3. I'm betting more on this one (smell wise), last time the oil was changed, a little spillage that got to the manifold or top of the head?

On #3, I've done it more than once and even the shops have done it to me a few times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So a few days ago I bought a set of ramps and finally had time to get the car in the air and didn't see any seepage or stains under the car. I also let the engine cool a little more and the oil is at a normal level, the last time I got gas I noticed my gas cap wasn't completly tight and now that it is I no longer smell any burning. I gave the engine a closer look and there's some goopy black sludge between the heads and intake manifold. I'm thinking it might be the valve cover gaskets leaking slowly though, or at one point they did leak and it wasn't cleaned well. A friend of mine works at the dealer I bouught the car from and he did all the servicing before I bought it. I had him put Valvoline full synthetic in, that's all I'll run in any of my vehicles, so it made sense to get this one on the same page. How much of a bitch is it to change valve cover gaskets? every other vehicle I've worked on or owned was a 2nd Gen Dodge Ram, they seemed a lot less intricate and more accessible under the hood than this does. Also how would I go about turning off the oil change reminder? Thank you guys for the replies and ideas.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure what the gas cap being loose/tight has to do with anything, unless it somehow causes higher/lower pressures under the valve covers? When I switched from dino to synthetic oil, the mechanic told me it would "burn a little oil between changes." With over 200k miles on the odometer and 9k intervals it would consume about 1qt of Mobile 1. As for replacing the valve cover gasket, all I can say is it that it wasn't very expensive when I had the shop do it, so not much labor so probably not a big deal.

Reactions: SCMRoman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts