Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have ordered a new 300C in Cool Vanilla. I presently have a '01 Mercedes
Benz CLK430, black with lt. grey interior. It only has 19,000 miles. It is a very foxy car! My wife has a 1996 Infiniti J30T that was given to her by her mother. I believed that we were going to sell her Infiniti and get the Hemi, but she just informed me that she decided not to sell her car. Emotional attachments and all... Now I am faced with a decision of selling my sexy black Benz to get the Hemi. I was looking forward to the Hemi but I am having a tough time thinking about selling the CLK430 even though the warranty is over this January.
What should I do? They're both fast but very different although they have a lot of the same standard features.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dude, the 300C is really really nice and I love mine. However, your benz is a V8 Benz. The 300C is a very nice, refined, fast, great buy, great looker, but it is a Chrysler. The depreciation on your benz is going to be much safer than the 300c

I know I'll probably get crap for making this type of statement but it is what it is. With that being said.

The 300C however, will leave your CLK430 in the dust... an activity which I greatly enjoy doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had my 300C for about three weeks. I also have an '01 CLK 430 Cab. When I walk out the door in the morning there is ZERO hesitation when deciding which key to grab. Even if it's a nice sunny day and the top is already down on the CLK. I LOVE the 300C and the only time I'll drive the CLK is when the wife finds an excuse to take my 300C.

And besides, you've already taken the big depreciation hit on the CLK (I know, I paid $70k for mine and it's worth less than half of that now). If you look at the value over a 3 or 4 year timeframe I don't think you'd be any worse off with the 300C, any you'd be driving something that's under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all of you for those realistic responses. You are all right in every way. I guess it boils down to the reason to own a car of this type. We could all drive 4 door Camrys and get to where we are going very comfortably.
BMWhat said it perfectly in his last sentence. BobD, you made me think about which car I would take if they were both in my driveway. So now I can't wait for my Hemi to come in and to sell the CLK430. Thanks again for straightening out my head.
Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
You made the right decision, trust me.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
BobD said:
I've had my 300C for about three weeks. I also have an '01 CLK 430 Cab. When I walk out the door in the morning there is ZERO hesitation when deciding which key to grab. Even if it's a nice sunny day and the top is already down on the CLK. I LOVE the 300C and the only time I'll drive the CLK is when the wife finds an excuse to take my 300C.

And besides, you've already taken the big depreciation hit on the CLK (I know, I paid $70k for mine and it's worth less than half of that now). If you look at the value over a 3 or 4 year timeframe I don't think you'd be any worse off with the 300C, any you'd be driving something that's under warranty.
I am glad to see someone recognize the Euro cars drop too. People always talk about depreciation as a domestic issue. I have owned 5 MB and 3 BMWs, news flash-they all depreciate some more some less. I remember a Mercedes salesman telling me how well they hold their value and in the very next sentence telling me what a great deal this 3yr old E class was compared to when it was new. Look at a 7-8 yr old 750, it is about the same money as a 3 series despite costing triple the price when new. Yes, a 10 yr old 3 is worth 2-3 times what an Intrepid is worth (about $6K difference) interestingly about the same difference in cost when new. "If it appreciates buy it, if it depreciates lease it" J. Paul Getty. (This was stated when there were huge tax advantages to lease)

·
Registered
770 Posts
JJD

The Hemi is a great car. It would win my vote. That said you are asking this question of a bunch of 300C enthusiasts. One would think the answer was already a done deal. You may want to ask others too unless you got the answer you wanted in the first place.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts