Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had battery disconnected a couple of weeks ago to fit a new Starter.
Starter now OK but I'm left with the dreaded intermittent error C121A "Steering Angle Sensor requires initialising"

It appears that this could be prevented from coming up on pre 2008 models by turning the steering wheel lock to lock.

This is not the case with models from 2008 on.
C121A code comes up intermittently.
Just tried turning lock to lock 3 times which has been suggested previously and "time will tell" ?? Others suggest adjusting the height of the Steering Angle Sensor in the column but all I've done is disconnect the battery for 24 Hrs. It is riduculous to have to take it to a Chrysler dealers to initialise ??
Chrysler manual says it needs resetting/initialising by them with starscan. Surely there must be an easy way.

Jack

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Not sure of the correct procedure without looking but we do a few VW's and on them you have to turn it full left for 1 second,full right for 1 second back to the centre,switch engine off then just turn to ignition on only for about 10 secs....then turn ign off then start the car.....give it a go

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
I've just checked my diagnostic tool that gets updated monthly and they've vastly improved and added new functions for the Chrysler 300C and guess what's new??.....steering reset...amongst other stuff,so I'm going to plud it in my car now and see what's what,I'll be back....

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Well,it's got steering angle sensor faults and reset on it,can't try it as mine came up with no faults....it's got loads of stuff on it for our cars

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of the correct procedure without looking but we do a few VW's and on them you have to turn it full left for 1 second,full right for 1 second back to the centre,switch engine off then just turn to ignition on only for about 10 secs....then turn ign off then start the car.....give it a go
Thanks, but tried the centre, to left lock, to right lock to centre etc which I belive did work on the earlier models.

Just restarting engine twice clears the light, cleared code with code reader OK but light and code re-appears again some time later. No problem with ABS or ESP lights coming up which have been reported before.

New local Chrysler dealer says can only be initialised by them with their "Magic Box"
This seems ridiculous for just disconnecting battery? Their "Magic Box" won't be working for a fortnight though. Plus I don't see why I should need to pay to have it reset if I decide I need to disconnect the battery for some reason.

Jack

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
well if your passing through I'll plug my "magic box " in your car for nowt

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well if your passing through I'll plug my "magic box " in your car for nowt
Thanks very much I appreciate your offer BUT !!!
I rarely get down to staffordshire so I will see how next few weeks turn out.
Steering Angle Sensor problem does crop up on the forum now and again but from what I've seen it appears to sort itself out in time, hopefully mines the same.

I was supposed to be going to Alton Towers a few weeks ago but we decided not to go because it was "persisting it down". Good decsision, it rained all bloody day. Love Alton Towers.

Regards
Jack

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Thanks, but tried the centre, to left lock, to right lock to centre etc which I belive did work on the earlier models.

Just restarting engine twice clears the light, cleared code with code reader OK but light and code re-appears again some time later. No problem with ABS or ESP lights coming up which have been reported before.

New local Chrysler dealer says can only be initialised by them with their "Magic Box"
This seems ridiculous for just disconnecting battery? Their "Magic Box" won't be working for a fortnight though. Plus I don't see why I should need to pay to have it reset if I decide I need to disconnect the battery for some reason.

Jack
Have you tried disconnecting the battery again Jack to see if that will clear it ?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you tried disconnecting the battery again Jack to see if that will clear it ?
Hi Chrisp,

No havent tried that one. Will be well worth a try.
Will give it a go if it comes up again but it has reset OK and may stay off now ??

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully it will sort itself out, I have disconnected the battery on mine (same age and model) several times and it has never given any issues.
Simon

I have had my battery disconnected before for a short time without problems but this time I had it disconnected for about 24Hrs.
Seems OK at moment, time will tell.

Thought I would have got the ABS or Traction control failure notification with steering angle sensor problems. Dont want to tempt fate though non of these gave problems.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif
Jack

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I've only had it happen once with a battery disconnect that was on the SRT Design and has you say Jack the ABS and ESP lights came on as well. They went off on the next start but the sensor warning stayed there for about four starts then dissapeared never to return so as you say yours may be ok now :boggled:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I would give anyone interested an update about wheel angle sensor initialisation error.

I think its OK now but its difficult to say for sure because the error light and code never came up on every ignition cycle.

I did though disconnect and reconnect the battery gain for a few minutes in an attempt to cure the fault as chrisp recommended. That was a few days ago and so far the fault has not re-occurred. What has fixed it I dont know, but turning wheel from lock to lock and then iginition off/on as recommended for pre 2007 models definitley did not fix it.

SO IT IS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING

1) It still isn't fixed and fault will reappear over the next few days.
2) It just sorted itself out over time.
3) The battery disconnect and reconnect fixed it.

Personally I would be tempted to opt for disconnecting/re-connecting battery as recommended by chrisp.

Thanks Chrisp (Hopefully)
Jack

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Fingers crossed Jack lol :tongue::tongue:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update to my Update ?

Steering Angle Sensor Initialisation code and limp mode came up again today so disconnect/re-connect of the battery did not fix the problem BUT ?
I have only done very short runs in the car since the problem started when I changed the starter motor. (I have done lots of short runs though)
Think it could well sort itself out when I go on a long run.

Jack

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
yeah....to Stafford....lol

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah....to Stafford....lol
Thanks for the previous offer and I will bear it in mind.

What I did notice on my "long run" was: In top gear when accelerating steadily at about 1500RPM I felt as though the car was changing gear because I felt a slight lurch on quite a few occassions. This happened when travelling in a straight line. I then decided it wasn't changing gear but may have been applying the brakes automatically for just a fraction of a second but NO Traction Control (ESP) light came on. It only happened about 5 or 6 times and I tried it again after de-selecting the ESP and I dont think it happened again.
I wondered if it was slowly "Sorting Itself out".

Again "Time will Tell"
There aren't all that many posts about Steering Angle Sensors needing Initialisation so I'm assuming mine will sort itself out eventually without the trip to Stafford.
If I shut engine down and restart car does not tend to rear its ugly head again for a while.

Jack

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I had a similar error after I fitted the towing electrics and also when my battery packed up. In both cases the ESP light came on and a scan showed the steering angle sensor code. The fault fixed itself simply by driving the car on a long run (100 miles or so.) On the first occasion I got it checked out by the dealer. They picked up an historic error code but confirmed that there was no current problem.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Armchair.

I feel certain from info I have read on the forum before that the problem will resolve itself eventually.
I dont use the car much and the "long run" I had recently was only about 15 miles in total
I will only be concerned if the problem is still there when I have done a couple of 80 mile runs to "Sunny Skegness" or Skeg Vegas as we call it.

Jack

1 - 20 of 22 Posts