Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a mopar cabin air filter kit in my 2005 300 Touring. All went pretty well, but have a couple tips not mentioned in the other forum threads. When removing the skrivet fastener that is located on the front of the insulator (filter assembly fits inside) be sure to CAREFULLY push/pull it out. If you get too anxious, you will rip a hole in the insulator. It looks like it is a thick plastic material, but it is more like a fiber. I ripped mine, although not too badly.

BEFORE installing the kit, go to Chrysler/Dodge and get two of the nylon phillips head fasteners that attach the cowl just below the windshield. These things have a special J shaped hook that locks the cowl against the windshield. After exposure to the sun and elements, they get brittle and will break or crumble when you try to remove them. These fasteners are NOT INCLUDED in the the kits and can only be purchased from Chrysler. I don't have the part number yet, but will add to the thread when I do.

There is also a plastic connector hole on the driver's side bottom of the filter housing. There is a bundle of wires with a band around them that has a barb that inserts upward into the hole on the bottom of the housing. It's easy to pound it out to change the housing, but is a real bear to get a grip on in to snap it back into place. I just left mine unattached since if was easy to see that the wires were not going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
6,769 Posts
Thanks for the info.... this has been on my TO DO list for years.

Got any pics of your install?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cabin Filter Addendum

I don't have any pics. The instructions are actually pretty good as far as diagrams go. Since the filter assembly comes with its own housing, you can cut up the old box where it mounts against the firewall. The unit will not want to pull forward enough to remove it without cutting the housing above some of the 4 mounting studs. I just took some sidecutter pliers to the old box to save time and effort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered a carbon activated filter from Rock Auto for about half the price the local parts stores ask for a similar item. It is a lot more substantial than the filter that comes with the Mopar kit. I was able to notice a difference in cabin air quality during one of our dusty, particulate-filled days here in Vegas. It's worth it. You can still pick up the scent of someone's cigar when they're buring one down right next to the car, but not anywhere near as bad as before. Before the install, I cleaned the interior from carpet to headliner just to test how much of the fine dust on the dash was due to crap being sucked in through the vent. It was reduced to almost nothing so long as the windows stayed up and the door wasn't hanging open for an eternity.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I ordered a carbon activated filter from Rock Auto for about half the price the local parts stores ask for a similar item. It is a lot more substantial than the filter that comes with the Mopar kit. I was able to notice a difference in cabin air quality during one of our dusty, particulate-filled days here in Vegas. It's worth it. You can still pick up the scent of someone's cigar when they're buring one down right next to the car, but not anywhere near as bad as before. Before the install, I cleaned the interior from carpet to headliner just to test how much of the fine dust on the dash was due to crap being sucked in through the vent. It was reduced to almost nothing so long as the windows stayed up and the door wasn't hanging open for an eternity.
Remember the part #?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the part number. The fastener is a legacy piece from 1993+ Chrysler LH models. Took three weeks of wrong orders from Chrysler because the piece isn't listed or shown for the correct model year. It is listed on several sites as the following:

1993+ Chrysler LH Models (Hook Style) Cowl Screen Retainer
Item # CP937177.

Got a box of 10 ordered for under $15.00 (shipping included). Easy to find now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts