Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
13,064 Posts
My comment on the whole CAI thing is that, on it's own, it's not much of a mod except for a better throttle response. However, combined with a freer flowing exhaust and a programmer, you will definitely see an improvement. Without one of those components, the other two aren't as effective and you won't realize their full potential as a complete system.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Let's be specific here. Are we talking HP or torque? Personally, I've gotten improved throttle response and some additional torque since I dropped my K&N in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
when i installed my k&n cai i did not notice much of a diff in hp or torque, just sound.......its kinda a supporting mod that wont do much until you have a programmer and exhaust mods.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Check that video at 2:17. I think he's testing more than just CAIs.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
All I know is that I am confident that my LMI Carbon Fiber CAI makes me go a ton faster than that huge black plastic suitcase under the hood. It's kind of like when I wore "Zips" tennis shoes when I was a kid... I ran so much faster!

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Yeah, I'm sorry to say guys, as it's been proven years ago on the LX forums. The only CAI's that you will see any kind of gains from on an LX, are the AFE stage II, the LMI, and the Airhammer. And they are not substantial.

Sure, it can be argued that a combination of a catback, Diablo tuner, and a CAI from the above will give better results, and they have been proven to, but the truth is that the stock airbox flows very close to as- good-as-it-gets.

Don't EVER pay any attention to the advertised aftermarket CAI power gain claims, as they are massively exaggerated. They are in the business of making money. They would not be selling very many units if the advertised gains were 3hp, and 5 ft/lbs of torque now, would they? Especially at the price that the sell these units. An AFE for example is close to 300 dollars. I bought mine used with 6000 km's from a local LX forums member. Knowing what I've known for years, I'd never drop 300 clams- I paid 180.

Also, you would likely see better gains on vehicles that employ mass air flow sensors, which our LX's do not have. It's a shame though, as I've seen countless threads between different LX based forums in the last 6 years, where folks just get so bent out of shape when they are told and empirically shown the raw numbers regarding CAI's on our vehicles.

Undeniably, the sound that you get at WOT, is pretty sweet. My AFE stage II, is akin to to sound of a pair of angry rottweilers under the hood :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts