Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I have recently upgraded my 2006 300c to a beautiful 2012 300 SRT8. I am in the process of researching a CAI and exhaust system. There is lots of valuable information on the board with one exception - which systems will not nullify the vehicle's warranty.

I am seeing mixes messages regarding the Corsa exhaust - can any of the experts on the board provide their experience on whether this exhaust can be installed and maintain the warranty?

Also - what would be the recommended CAI?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hey Greg, I did the same thing. Had an 06 300C and traded it for a 12 SRT. As far as the exhaust, I asked my dealer's service department that question and they replied: "If it damages something else like from rubbing, or heat, then that part would not be covered, but other than that, no problem". Obviously, the new exhaust wouldn't be covered by Chrysler and I think a lot depends on the dealer as they are the eyes and ears of Chrysler when it comes to problems so if you have a good rapport with your dealer, I don't see where it would be a problem. I'd go to the dealer and ask there. BTW, I tried a CAI and catback on my car, and it only made it sound better. Didn't run any better, in fact, I think it lost a little of it's "snap".

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
No part installed on your car 'voids your warranty'... Most aftermarket parts (with some exceptions) meet or exceed the quality of parts put on by the factory. The issue with aftermarket is that they can void warranty on defective factory parts that they can prove malfunctioned due to your aftermarket part. IE: install a cam, put it in timed wrong, blow engine... Bye bye engine warranty, the warranty however still remains on every other part. Now... Put the cam in right... 6 months later a lower bearing fails (just because) and the bearing will be warrantied. You have to be careful of your mods but you don't have to panic too much on warranty. I cammed my C while under warranty and they replaced plenty of parts with no issue...

The whole a CAI voids my car warranty was abolished in court years ago! So pick away... My 2 cents... Avoid K&N, but as your a gen 2 that's where my advice ends... ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
13,066 Posts
Any modification that is made to the car that causes a failure of another stock part voids the warranty for that part. And of course, Chrysler won't warrant an aftermarket part.

But as far as Chrysler voiding your entire warranty on the car because you put on a cold air intake, that should not happen.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Ditto on what MADDOG said about the K&N. Pulls too much hot air in from the engine compartment. There are a few other brands with the same flaw. People here seem to like the LMI tho...

·
Chrysler Customer Service Agent
938 Posts
Chrysler Group does not recommend altering your vehicle from the original manufacturer's specifications.

Certain changes that you might make to your vehicle do not, by themselves, void the warranties. However, your warranties do not cover any part that Chrysler Group did not supply. Nor do they cover the costs of any repairs or adjustments that might be needed because of the installation or use of non-Chrysler Group parts, components, equipment, materials or additives.

Please refer to your warranty information booklet for further information.

As far as tuners go, that can get pretty sticky depending on your dealer and their area manager. I personally wouldn't recommend it til after the warranty expires. Many things can go wrong and the debate over "who caused what and who is responsible" can get pretty complicated.

Reactions: MADDOG

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ditto on what MADDOG said about the K&N. Pulls too much hot air in from the engine compartment. There are a few other brands with the same flaw. People here seem to like the LMI tho...
BTW, I tried a CAI and catback on my car, and it only made it sound better. Didn't run any better, in fact, I think it lost a little of it's "snap".
Cannon, I thought you said you have an LMI? But you stated above that you may have lost some "snap" to your engine response? I think I remember you mentioned in another thread that you should see a positive impact w/ throttle response after installing the CAI, but now you're saying that you lost some snap...? I was considering the LMI and cat-back until your post above...now I'm confused!!! :pat::confused:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
^^^^ Very Well Said!!! ^^^^
Yeah, I hope so...he/she works for Chrysler!!! :duh: :jester: (Sorry MADDOG, couldn't help myself; was just kidding though...:sorry:)

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
I don't care who anyone works for... After removing a Diablo tune and flipping to stock I'd be curious to know how Chrysler would know if you had a tune that caused the failure or not, it would be pure speculation. Not encouraging people to defraud any written warranty here (not like Chrysler hasn't been known to do the same to the consumer however on more than a few occasions ;) ) but as far as I can tell and been told by tuners and Chrysler techs themselves it would be quite tough. Easier obviously if the car you take in is full of other mods as its the 'fly with crows, shot with crow's mentality at that point. Either way sounds like we all thought the same thing on the warranty issue huh?! So its unanimous, you pay to play, part of the cost could be losing warranty on some parts if the ones you installed caused the flaw..

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's pretty much where I sit; I'll likely not modify the SRT8 until warranty is over (if I still have it!) for the simple reason I don't want to deal with the potential headaches of Chrysler / dealership giving me grief. Sure, it's the law that they cannot withold warranty service if it's not the aftermarket part causing grief, but the onus is on you to lawyer up or go seeking proper fulfilment of the law. Lots of folks have had legitimate warranty problems denied due to non-related aftermarket parts - it all boils down to your dealership, how they deal with it, how many times they've been burned by illegitimate warranty claims in the past, and if that's happened... how much they trust you to not be lying through your teeth.

Having had SRT-4s in the past and been active on SRTForums watching people get power window warranty work denied due to an aftermarket exhaust, I'm well aware of the friction that can occur. While I didn't modify either car too much, there were others that did ghetto / cheap mods, broke something, returned the car to stock, and went to the dealership to try to get warranty work done, screwing the rest of us with legitimate warranty issues. Dodge actually released a "How to spot modified SRT-4s" to their dealers, it was such a chronic problem. Not my link - found it on the internet, but it's disappointing to be sure.

Yes, you have to "pay to play", but putting an aftermarket exhaust shouldn't invalidate any unrelated components, nor should it result in an automatic "sorry, modded. Pay up!" if I have engine issues under warranty.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't care who anyone works for... After removing a Diablo tune and flipping to stock I'd be curious to know how Chrysler would know if you had a tune that caused the failure or not, it would be pure speculation
My understanding is that the Gen2 cars track how often the PCM is flashed; including by Diablo. So stock = 1, Diablo flash = 2, return to stock = 3.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
My understanding is that the Gen2 cars track how often the PCM is flashed; including by Diablo. So stock = 1, Diablo flash = 2, return to stock = 3.
Now that would make sense if they can... I was curious how they could ever know... Gen1s obviously didn't have this to be concerned with, sucks the gen 2s do! Ugh...

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's pretty much where I sit; I'll likely not modify the SRT8 until warranty is over (if I still have it!) for the simple reason I don't want to deal with the potential headaches of Chrysler / dealership giving me grief. Sure, it's the law that they cannot withold warranty service if it's not the aftermarket part causing grief, but the onus is on you to lawyer up or go seeking proper fulfilment of the law. Lots of folks have had legitimate warranty problems denied due to non-related aftermarket parts - it all boils down to your dealership, how they deal with it, how many times they've been burned by illegitimate warranty claims in the past, and if that's happened... how much they trust you to not be lying through your teeth.

Having had SRT-4s in the past and been active on SRTForums watching people get power window warranty work denied due to an aftermarket exhaust, I'm well aware of the friction that can occur. While I didn't modify either car too much, there were others that did ghetto / cheap mods, broke something, returned the car to stock, and went to the dealership to try to get warranty work done, screwing the rest of us with legitimate warranty issues. Dodge actually released a "How to spot modified SRT-4s" to their dealers, it was such a chronic problem. Not my link - found it on the internet, but it's disappointing to be sure.

Yes, you have to "pay to play", but putting an aftermarket exhaust shouldn't invalidate any unrelated components, nor should it result in an automatic "sorry, modded. Pay up!" if I have engine issues under warranty.
That is well said.....my motto with modding cars is honesty. I have always been able to find a reasonable dealer that will accept CAI, exhaust, and other light mods without getting nasty. But I am willing to pay for issues that my mods cause as well. You're right about saying that some dishonest people ruin it for the others. I think it would benefit most people to learn in advance how tolerant the dealer they're using is. When I got the launch control flashed in from my dealership, the service manager came right out and told me how good aftermarket exhausts sound on these cars, and then it was easy for me to lead into warranty questions. You'd be surprised how reasonable a lot of them are.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Exactly. I had an srt4 with stage 3 and the general rule of thumb was it voided your warranty. But since I had a good relationship with my local dealership I never had a problem the couple times I needed warranty repairs.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
IF this is true, the fact remains that they don't know WHAT was flashed to it because once returned to stock, all the parameters of the modified tune are gone with no evidence of what was there. I wouldn't think that would hold up in court if it went that far.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was just at the dealership getting my drivers side mirror replaced due to some idiot on a motorcycle ripping it off with his handle bar while it was parked in front of my office. Was supposed to be 500 just for the mirror and another 110 for labor. However, lucky for me, my friend's dad is the service manager and charged me cost only at 380. Regardless, I was scrolling through these threads and he confirmed what most are saying. Any aftermarket part put on the car is obviously not warranty if that particular part breaks. However, it does not void your warranty. Also asked him about the ECU and tracking the tune. He said you can look at how many times it's been flashed, but no one questions it at his particular dealership. Even if the motor is shot, they (specifically) don't look at it, as they are getting paid from Chrysler to fix it. In other words they don't really care. Again, I can only speak for this particular dealership. I looked into the Mopar Performance Cat-Back for shits and giggles. Even with his discount if he ordered it himself, it would be 1375 ish before tax (7% here in Indiana.) I've seen the Corsa Extreme at 1325 on autoplicity.com. By the looks of it, the Mopar and Corsa Extreme look identical. Just one has Mopar stamped on the tips. Could be wrong. Hope the info helps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
IF this is true, the fact remains that they don't know WHAT was flashed to it because once returned to stock, all the parameters of the modified tune are gone with no evidence of what was there. I wouldn't think that would hold up in court if it went that far.
Oh I agree with you 100%. The core of the problem is that if the dealership or manufacturer decide to ignore the law (that mods do not void warranty), the onus (and cost!) is totally on the customer to get proper action. The customer will have to pursue it in court; the dealership / manufacturer will not provide the customer warranty service first, and then go after them to recoup costs.

In the meantime, the customer's car sits with a warranty issue, while they make payments and likely couldn't sell it because it's broken in some fashion. That's the way it usually plays out.

Never happened to me, but I've watched it happen to others. Some deserved it (modded, screwed something up, tried to get warranty claim), some didn't (aftermarket exhaust, and had to jump through major hoops and get a lawyer involved to get a power window motor replaced).

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was just at the dealership getting my drivers side mirror replaced due to some idiot on a motorcycle ripping it off with his handle bar while it was parked in front of my office. Was supposed to be 500 just for the mirror and another 110 for labor. However, lucky for me, my friend's dad is the service manager and charged me cost only at 380. Regardless, I was scrolling through these threads and he confirmed what most are saying. Any aftermarket part put on the car is obviously not warranty if that particular part breaks. However, it does not void your warranty. Also asked him about the ECU and tracking the tune. He said you can look at how many times it's been flashed, but no one questions it at his particular dealership. Even if the motor is shot, they (specifically) don't look at it, as they are getting paid from Chrysler to fix it. In other words they don't really care. Again, I can only speak for this particular dealership. I looked into the Mopar Performance Cat-Back for shits and giggles. Even with his discount if he ordered it himself, it would be 1375 ish before tax (7% here in Indiana.) I've seen the Corsa Extreme at 1325 on autoplicity.com. By the looks of it, the Mopar and Corsa Extreme look identical. Just one has Mopar stamped on the tips. Could be wrong. Hope the info helps.
I'm guessing the exhausts are identical. Corsa used to, and probably still does, make the Mopar exhaust. As you said, one has Mopar and one has Corsa stamped on the tips. I just installed the Corsa and I'm about to post my impressions in the exhaust section.

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts