Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had had a K&N CAI installed on my 06 300c awd, and then taken off, cuz it was way loud, and would heat up my engine and oil very quickly as if i were running it on the track, but in reality only driving it normally, why would this happen and are there any tamer CAI which anyone could recommend but still get the job done.....

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have used the Volent intake now for over 3 years and it works great.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I've got the Mopar CAI and it's worked out fine. I got it a week after I got the car and have had no problems. Quiet at idle but a nice sound at WOT. Apart from the MOPAR CAI I would recommend the AFE Stage 2 CAI.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I had had a K&N CAI installed on my 06 300c awd, and then taken off, cuz it was way loud, and would heat up my engine and oil very quickly as if i were running it on the track, but in reality only driving it normally, why would this happen and are there any tamer CAI which anyone could recommend but still get the job done.....
I've used the S&B for a couple years now with no ill effects. However I am having a hard time understanding how any CAI that was installed properly would cause your engine and oil to heat up. Your K&N may not be your problem.

There may have been blockage in the airway of your CAI.
The stock silencer may have restricted air flow if it was not removed.
Was the Air Intake Sensor hooked up to your K&N properly?
What other mods have you done?
Were there any lose fittings on the K&N?
How long did you have the K&N on your car? Long enough to need cleaning?
If you did clean it, much oil did you use on the air filter after cleaning?
How did you determine that your engine was any hotter than before the K&N?

Anyway, I think you get the idea. The high engine and oil temperature may be, and probably is, something unrelated to the fact that your CAI was a K&N. In regards to the noise level, any of the CAIs that have the filter enclosed will be quieter that ones that do not.

·
Registered
605 Posts
good questions from up above. I have a K&N typhoon intake and have had no problems at all with it. I get better mileage as well, no noticeable hp gains but only the afe stage 2 and airhammer supposedly do give any hp gains.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I've had a K&N cai for the last 1.5 years and it has worked fine. Like Midnightsun suggested, your problem must have been elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
The aFe is our most popular intake for several of reasons:

1. it is more quiet than most others for the 5.7/6.1
2. it is priced to sell (compared to several others)
3. it produces some of the best performance gains
4. it comes in both dry/oil filter versions
5. about the easiest install you can find

I hope this helps. If interested, we'll gladly shoot you over a price quote, etc.

Talk to you soon,

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts