Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes are now [apparently] working OK but I have acquired a second set of front callipers which I thought I would get rebuilt - someone in the past decided red would be nice and sloshed it everywhere - so it's a bit too much agro for me.
Any recommendations for calliper rebuilders?

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Any decent garage should be able to do it,dead easy job,pop pistons out replace if corroded,replace the seals and pop back in with plenty of brake fluid as a lubricant,clean slider tubes,clean sliders.........job done

Reactions: esgyrndafydd

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any decent garage should be able to do it,dead easy job,pop pistons out replace if corroded,replace the seals and pop back in with plenty of brake fluid as a lubricant,clean slider tubes,clean sliders.........job done
True, but, as I mentioned, I really would like to be rid of the red paint which has runs and splotches every where.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't fancy doing it myself as it looks to me to be a lot of potential agro. However, looking at prices [anything from £120 to £250 for the pair] together with the fact that no one I've spoken to or anyone here can recommend anyon[e reasonably priced] to do them for me...

·
Registered
147 Posts
the garage near me charged a hour labour £40 plus vat for stripping both callipers and cleaning ,fitting new pistons and seals I supplied and refitting and bleeding

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'll be going with these guys - they seem reasonable, £110 for the pair - so, as I see it that's £50 quid for parts and £60 quid for labour.

<http://www.brake-caliper-painting.com/>

Also They are one of the few companies that bothered to reply to my enquiry and I can't find any bad reviews [so far]

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I've found a solution -

<http://www.brake-caliper-painting.com/>

will strip, clean, shotblast and repaint then rebuild with new seals etc. test and give a 2 year guarantee for £110.

Can't find anything bad about them on the interweb thingy so unless one of the other people I've contacted can beat that...

Doing it myself would cost me £60 ish for parts and then there's the time element on top of that plus, I don't have a garage at the moment.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doh, I posted the same thing twice. I thought I had, couldn't see it so did it again. I'd best go and have a lie down...

·
Registered
15 Posts
My nearside front calliper has seized too! The warranty company are trying not to pay out, claming it's down to corrosion. Is that the most likely cause?

So since I'll have to pay out, I guess it's better to get both callipers done, the warranty company would only do the failed one. Will I automatically need new discs when replacing callipers and pads? Sorry for any stupid questions, I'm not great mechanically!

By the way David, what service did you go for from the Calliper rebuild company? The remanufacture I assume, not the high end paint job?

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
You'll only need pads n discs if they're worn to excess,if there's lots of meat left on the pads and the discs have no big rusty lips or badly scored,pitted etc., then don't bother

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I'm going for just the rebuild as they give a choice of silver or black finish for that. TBH, they've been sitting in a box for the past week so I must remember to ship them off tomorrow - UPS are doing a special via parcel2go, if you pre-book etc. then drop the parcel off at the local collection point it's only £4.25 up to 5.5kg.
Their silver finish looks fine to me but if it's at all suspect I've got a spray can of Hammerite here...
As far as the discs are concerned the MOT guy I use allows a 2mm lip on the disc edge before they fail, pads you can see for yourself. I went for Mtec discs which arrived within 48 hours for the same price I was quoted for A.N.Other disc.
Pads I went for EBC.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The callipers have been sent off for refurb etc and I hope to have them back by the end of next week and then fitted within a few days of that - I may then do a similar swap on the rear callipers, have to see how things go.

However, I wiil then have a spare set of front callipers - not too bad, still working but my thought was that after replacing the discs etc and with them being 8 years old... After all, brakes are fairly important and even the brake fluid gets changed every couple of years...

So, the second hand callipers cost me £50 each plus a tenner postage. If anyone is contemplating a similar exercise then doing it this way allows you to avoid taking the car off the road. So, what I'm saying is that I have a spare set of callipers, looking for £110 to include postage if anyone is interested.

Also, does anyone have a set of rear callipers that are no longer needed?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts